Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
The last thing I need is to run out of my 24 GB/month wireless data allowance in 3 days instead of 30. 5G can take years as far as I’m concerned, until the wireless plan data allowances match up.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Having worked for sales at Verizon, I can tell you it probably is selling pretty well. When it was announced we had people asking about it, and that was like September or October I think. And that particular phone is one of their “free” phones. And no doubt they will have a promo for that mod or other motomods. Verizon has always had good promos for Motorola phones. But, since Samsung has one coming and announced, people may be waiting for that one. I don’t work for them anymore, so things could have changed.

But, I definitely wouldn’t buy it. Haha. It’s a mediocre phone at best, too. We sold it as a beginner phone for kids. Lol
If I had to guess, I think there would be some initial sales but then they’d fall off a cliff. Having a few, relatively small areas of coverage in just a couple large cities—with a similar patchy rollout in a few more neighborhoods in a handful of other cities this year—just doesn’t seem sufficient to me to drive many sales. At $200 anyway. I actually think this ends up with them giving them away. But I could well be wrong :)

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Biggest example : The veteran PC magazine writer who was fired for writing an article QUESTIONING 5Gs safety. Not for talking bad of it, but literally just questioning the lack of safety oversight and long term testing.

Not only was he fired, his article was scrubbed from the Internet.

Another example was during a telecommunications conference, a person asked during a Q&A about 5G and its health affects. He was banned from the meeting and told he could only come back if he "played nice"
I'm not sure if this is just lacking citations, or if I need to forward this to 20 of my friends in the next 7 days to avoid bad luck of my own...

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

Verizon today announced it has turned on its commercial 5G network, starting in select areas of Minneapolis and Chicago. Verizon had originally targeted an April 11 launch, so the rollout is a week ahead of schedule.

5g-verizon.jpg

Verizon customers can access the 5G network with the Moto Z3 smartphone paired with the 5G-enabled Moto Mod accessory, providing the "world's first commercial 5G mobile service with a 5G-enabled smartphone." The carrier plans to expand the network to more than 30 cities across the U.S. by the end of 2019.

Verizon says customers in Chicago and Minneapolis should expect typical download speeds of 450 Mbps, with peak speeds of nearly 1 Gbps and latency less than 30 milliseconds. Of course, speeds should improve with future upgrades.

In Chicago, 5G coverage is concentrated in areas of the West Loop and the South Loop, around landmarks like Union Station, Willis Tower, The Art Institute of Chicago, Millennium Park, and The Chicago Theatre, according to Verizon. 5G service is also available at select Verizon stores in the city.

In Minneapolis, service is concentrated in the downtown area, as well as inside and around U.S. Bank Stadium. 5G service is also available around landmarks like the Minneapolis Convention Center, the Minneapolis Central Library, the Mill City Museum, Target Center, The Commons, and areas of Elliot Park.

The Moto Z3 retails for $240, or 24 monthly payments of $10, while the 5G Moto Mod is available for $199.99 for a limited time. Verizon postpaid customers with any unlimited plan, including Go Unlimited, Beyond Unlimited, or Above Unlimited, can get unlimited 5G data for an additional $10 per month.

As for the first 5G-enabled iPhone, UBS analyst Timothy Arcuri recently said there is "increasing potential that Apple may not be able to ship a 5G iPhone for 2020" due to the company's legal battle with chipmaker Qualcomm and the growing possibility that Intel may not have a 5G modem ready to ship by next year.

Article Link: Verizon's 5G Network Launches Starting in Chicago and Minneapolis
My internet is 25mpbs so why even bother getting an isp in the next 5 years if 500 mbps Internet is flowing through the air everywhere

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My internet is 25mpbs so why even bother getting an isp in the next 5 years if 500 mbps Internet is flowing through the air everywhere
Pricing and caps? Along with many people getting much faster internet for quite a while now.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I answered the question and they are listed on their site.
You don't appear to have answered it, actually, and they're not listed (or not at all easy to find), but that’s ok. The more I read, the more I’m convinced this is not UWB. Best I can tell, they mean “wider band than LTE” and marketing misappropriated a previously well defined technical term because it sounded cool and now the likes of Time Domain are doomed to explaining to every potential customer that they make UWB systems and 5G is not UWB.

Not as big a sin as rebranding LTE as 5Ge, maybe, but I wish they hadn’t done it. For one thing, it makes it harder to throw shade on AT&T when it seems no one can really keep their noses clean. It also brought to my attention that Verizon's 5G Home products are also not standards compliant. They use what Verizon calls 5G TF (technical forum) rather than the standard 5G NR (new radio).

I think this is just what we're in for. We change cellular generations once a decade or so and everyone has their marketing engines in overdrive trying to be first to something even if that thing isn't what they want us to think it is.

I assume you mean the frequency specs are listed on their site, but I haven’t been able to find much. The Moto Mod itself indicates it operates in the n260 and n261 bands, but it doesn't specify the channel width. Could be anywhere from 50 to 400MHz if they follow the spec and none of those qualify as UWB as that term had been used and is defined under FCC guidelines.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The last thing I need is to run out of my 24 GB/month wireless data allowance in 3 days instead of 30. 5G can take years as far as I’m concerned, until the wireless plan data allowances match up.
What? Who wouldn’t want to be able to burn their 24 gigs in four minutes flat? :eek:

That would be... awesome? :mad:

Reactions: fourthtunz

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
My thoughts exactly.

I don't think the masses realize just how detrimental to their health 5G networks are. Proven scientifically and not openly discussed for obvious reasons.
References please, I'd love to see the science

Update: saw your sources, not gonna argue. I think others said everything I'd say.

Bring on the 5g! Can't wait to have it as home internet too

Last edited:

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Are you aware there are unlimited (and very reasonably priced) plans out there?
[doublepost=1554350005][/doublepost]
My thoughts exactly.

I don't think the masses realize just how detrimental to their health 5G networks are. Proven scientifically and not openly discussed for obvious reasons.
Funny enough, Apple fans are way more concerned about 5G health implications than people in general. Why would that be the case?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Because of sources like "naturalhealth365".. Why yes I would love a book about which vitamin kills viruses!! And while you're at it tell me about those 4 parents claiming a cell phone tower caused cancer in their kids with no evidence what so ever!. Forget about other compounding factors like water and air quality...

That is why we don't listen.

When I was in college i got a summer job at the NY State Dept. of Epidemiology. I was supposed to be converting some old FORTRAN code into C, but instead i rewrote a new tool from scratch. The issue was that people in Long Island were convinced that women were getting breast cancer from high tension power lines, because of a statistical cluster of cases. My job was to look at what cancer rates would be if the only issue was smokestack emissions from the north east. So we had the location of smoke stacks, the height, the weather patterns, the cancer-causing potential of the emissions from each stack, etc. And I built a tool that would predict “cancer maps” by shading things based on the number of cases per 100,000 people you would expect. Lined up exactly with what we were seeing in Long Island.

Now it’s vaccines and cell towers instead of power lines, i guess.

Reactions: StyxMaker

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
My thoughts exactly.

And we're the sickest of the industrialized nations and people wonder why?
I think we're far too gullible.
Not enough independent thought.

borisared

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
Spain
5G, dont worry about all the cancer related stuff, its really being rolled out because of its SciFi movie like spying capabilities. There was a TV program shown in Europe called Crossing Borders, it showed this tech. Imagine them being able to get a exact snap shot of exactly what happened in any chosen area at any time. It was also shown in the movie De Javu in 2006, but that gave the impression it was everything only from 4 days ago

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
5G, dont worry about all the cancer related stuff, its really being rolled out because of its SciFi movie like spying capabilities. There was a TV program shown in Europe called Crossing Borders, it showed this tech. Imagine them being able to get a exact snap shot of exactly what happened in any chosen area at any time. It was also shown in the movie De Javu in 2006, but that gave the impression it was everything only from 4 days ago
I believe The Dark Knight made good use of it.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
My thoughts exactly.

And the funny thing is, that's just the side effect of the real purpose ... Big Brother is coming.

TheSapient

macrumors regular
May 26, 2017
I'm in Minneapolis. 3.6 million other people in our metro area...

I live in downtown Minneapolis, unfortunately don't have a 5G phone. I'm lucky enough to have 5GE with At&t!!!

Edit: It sounds like I'm going to get cancer very soon. I'll keep everyone updated.

I'm just north of Minneapolis.
A simple" Here you go." wouldn't suffice?

They use aggression to hide that the links are not what they claim. They hope no one will look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.