Very disappointing

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BumpyFlatline, May 7, 2012.

1. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wirelessly posted

The developer of Springtomize, FillipoBiga, just tweeted the results of some stats he accumulated with the latest version of his app. Included in those stats he calculated the percentage of users who purchased his app versus the percentage of users who pirated his app.

According to FillipoBiga, 92% of Springtomize users pirated his app while only 8% purchased it. Now I'm not sure about the finer details. I believe these stats were only accumulated from users on version 1.3. Not sure exactly what that means. I truly hope a lot of users who purchased a legit copy just haven't updated yet...

It's so disappointing because this data supports ion1c's claims that most jailbreakers pirate apps. And I always hoped people who pirated software were in the minority. But I'm started to think that people who actually purchase stuff in Cydia are of the smaller user group....

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

That IS disappointing if true. Neither myself nor any of my friends that jailbreak have ever pirated any app (official or Cydia), & I was hoping that the majority of JB'ers had a similar "code".

I would be interested to learn how that stat was achieved. If it's accurate, it is unfortunate as this is the kind of behavior that can ultimately kill the jailbreak scene entirely...

3. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I am glad to say i am one of the 8% that bought it, but I don't use it anymore

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Several other jb devs are saying they get about the same amount of people pirating their apps/tweaks. A lot, if not most of the people I know pirate apps/tweaks. I knew it would be high but I wasn't expecting the percentage to be that high! It's not surprising though. Whenever someone sees my phone and asks me how I have so many cool things, I tell them it's jailbroken and they suddenly assume that means I'm pirating! That's because a lot of people jailbreak to get Installous and pirate App store apps so to those that don't know what jailbreaking is or how it's used, they think it's a means of pirating (which it is if you choose to use it that way).

How come? It's a great app! Maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite jb app.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

That's pathetic! I bought it.

I admit I once downloaded a cracked version of an app, only to try it because the youtube video wasn't sufficient, but because I loved the trial of it using the cracked version, I then bought it!

There needs to be a better way to monitor this kind of stuff. I wonder how he can tell the percentage of pirated copies without taking action.

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

May they each be cursed with an infinite recovery loop forever and ever, amen.

7. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

While I have never pirated any app/tweak and I do not condone piracy of anything, many of these developers really need to start offering trial periods for their apps (ala the Android Market).

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

What can they do? How do they stop it?

Haha that made me laugh. I needed that. Amen

That's a great idea but how many of the people pirating do you think do it to test the app/tweak out and then end up buying it? According to the conversation Filippo and other devs are having on twitter, not many.

Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 22.43.14.png

9. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

that is true, when I first learned about jailbreaking from someone I asked "well whats the advantage" with the reply being "well the main thing is everything is free even things from the app store"

10. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wirelessly posted

The stats were achieved by some code the dev created and included in version 1.3. If you follow him on twitter you'll see a few other prominent devs requesting the code for their own research and also tweets from devs who have their own similar functioning code that report the same statistics.

I completely understand why Saurik wants to keep Cydia and the jailbreaking scene "open" but I think it's time for him to stop allowing unofficial repos in cydia. I would imagine that if only official and approved repos are allowed access to Cydia, this could GREATLY reduce the ease of obtaining pirated apps since the "marketplace" would be controlled. I don't even add additional repos except for a couple beta repos owned and operated by devs that I support. But I guess that would be a futile effort since these people would just acquire the deb file and install anyways. Very disappointing.

Sure controlling the repos might limit some of the creativeness for jailbreak software, but that's a small price to pay to keep devs committed to developing products for us to use.

It's disgusting that people refuse to pay .99¢ for an app! That's cheaper than a pack of gum!

11. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

So, basically, you're just forcing someone to jailbreak the jailbreak...
    It will not work.

And yes, i DO belive in try before you buy. I save tons of money with this. I've tried 5 or 6 note takers on ipad with installous, bought 2 of them, did this with IntelliScreenX, testing Quasar, and some other thousand of games/tweaks.

They should do a trial, like IntelliScreenX. Or copy the security from IntelliBorn, which is pretty hard to crack.

12. 3282868 macrumors 603

Bought it, and use it. Very disappointing to learn that many are pirating app's. A lot of work goes into iOS development.

13. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I alway buy my apps...whether from Cydia or AppStore. I just don't get why someone feels like investing all that time and energy to steal a 1 or 2 dollar app (at least many of the apps are that much). If you really want it that bad then a dollar or two is a VERY small price to pay.

Jesus, people. Stealing apps give Jailbreaking a bad name. It seems that people outside of our little "subculture/hobby" associate jailbreaking with stealing. We know better. It's about customizing, experimenting, expanding and exploring.

Don't steal. If you do, you suck.

14. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Walk into a convenience store and take 5 or 6 candy bars without paying. If you like any of them, come back and give the clerk a couple of buck to show what a good guy you are. After all, you'll "save tons of money", so it must not be stealing. See how that works for you...

15. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Official apps usuallydont give your iDevice problems. Pirated apps can. Gotta lve when someone complains about an infinite boot logo loop,but fail to mention they just downloaded a pirated app.

I have paid severalhundred dollars in tweaks over the years and don't even use some of them any more. Themes mostly. Funny thing is, the greatest tweak of all time is free.... Swipeselection. Ir0n1c.

Should the Cydia store only allow official repo's that don't pirate other apps? Maybe. But I would argue that most of them also offer legit apps as well. Would Saurik now have to start Hiring and paying people to monitor every repo, with the hundreds of tweaks that are added daily? Doubtful.

16. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wirelessly posted

I'm with you. I hate the mentality of "try before you buy". Unless the dev offers you a trial version, what gives anyone the right to steal it and then if they like it they buy it? Absurd reasoning.

Don't get me wrong, I'd really love it if devs offered trial versions or even a short term return policy. But even if they did I feel it would have a very minor effect on pirating. 92% of users stole springtomize and many devs are reporting similar numbers! Thats so frustrating because it's making devs more leery of putting in the necessary work to make software as great as possible, nevermind the hackers who are reluctant to release jailbreaks.

Thanks pirates for not sparing that dollar! Way to stack up your savings accounts and push developers away from the jailbreaking "community"! Good one!

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

most apps from the app store or cydia are less then a pop or coffee. higher cost apps maybe a starbucks coffee or cheap fast food meal. of course there are exceptions. I hate wasting money on a bad app too but none will break my bank.

18. MastahRiz, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I've been a pirate for so long that sometimes it's just habitual. Mostly because I was only a kid (about 10) when pirating came into existence and I had no means to pay for things on my own. It had gotten to the point where I didn't even know I was pirating on my first jb iphone because I bought it used and the instructions given to me were "Just get everything from this repo here, ignore everything else." I stopped doing that once I figured it out.

I think it's good that he put these stats up. http://filippobiga.me/ststats.php

Definitely a step in the right direction. In the end, I'd much rather have my jb iPhone than 99 cents in my pocket.

19. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Yes, sure is the same!
    You just forget that apps are infinite, you will never lose stock. It's not like "Hurry, go get XYZ app cuz' there's only 10 left!" or "Oh god, now that I've downloaded this, no one else can use it :("

c'mon...

----------

Now let's burn 10US$ and don't like the app just because if I do this I'll have peace of mind...

No one likes to be a fool and pay for something you don't like. I'm not using the app for a 1-year trial version. A week tops, mostly 1 day...

20. Maverik3, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

Maverik3 macrumors 6502

I am a big believer in the test before you buy. I pirate everythg apple or cydia and use it for a day or two and really see if it even works, or if that is actually what I want. Then i delete or keep/buy them, but I only keep about 5% of what I actually download. And most the ones I keep are the free ones anyway. And making restrictions on cydia for the repos won't make more people buy them, they will just live without the app. The people who but them currently will be the same ones buying them if it does change.

And a better analogy would be going to a car dealership and them not allowing you to test drive the car and making you buy it first. Then when you finally do get in the car (after you bought it) and realize its not what you want, and your screwed out of your money cuz its too late

21. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wirelessly posted

Ignorance. How often does someone purchase a $10 app?!?! Once a year, twice a year maybe? Almost every single app that exists (and definitely the good apps) have written reviews, video reviews and user reviews, especially expensive apps. On top of that, many apps that fall under the same category have cross comparison reviews. Do your research and be a smart buyer.

Stealing an app to use as a trial is stealing. That's all I'm saying. If you end up buying every single app that's for sale that you've test driven, then good for you. It's hard to believe that every person who says they test the app before buying it are truly buying it. And these new statistics are starting to show that the large majority of people in the camp that "try before you buy" aren't actually buying. They're just stealing. And to think, all this time we thought ion1c was the prick...turns out it might be 92% of the jailbreaking community after all.

Its probably time the devs start offering trial versions or some sort of refund policy. Not sure this would have any effect though if almost everyone is already pirating apps.

The jailbreaking environment is an interesting economic marketplace that lives in the shadow of the app store. Interesting stuff.

22. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

No no no, let's buy a car without test drive :) We may have our conscience in peace for not "Stealing" a car.

23. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wirelessly posted

Just because the Portugal App Store doesn't have as many user reviews doesn't mean that the Internet and YouTube don't have reviews. Don't look for the one thing off in my argument and ignore all the stuff that's on.

And the car analogy is completely wrong. The car dealerships voluntarily OFFER test drives. The devs do not.

24. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

what's a pop?

just messing with labman

25. labman macrumors 604

labman

Maverik3mSo we are comparing test driving a car to test driving a app. :rolleyes: besides cars costing thousands vs a few dollars. what ekse can you test drive. besides you are talking maybe a 30 minute test drive max. not weeks or days. Also walk into the lambo, Ferrari or Bugatt even BMW dealer etc. and say you like to go for a test drive. they are going to at least verify yo have the income 1st. go to bestbuy and say you like to test drive a stereo or TV maybe that CD just because the last album was great doesn't mean this one is. your car analogy sucks. ;) but keep telling yourself how moral you are! I bet it lets you sleep better at night.

----------

soda or coke = pop is what we call it at least in my part or the midwest or Michigan any way.