Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elrond39

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
Utrecht, The Netherlands
eXan said:
Hey no offence but this looks ugly. Apple will NEVER make something like this. Read the original post: almost NO change in form-factor from 60 gig iPod, just a few milimeters thinner

read the post, smaller (nano-sized) click-wheel, larger screen. Your ball.

Originally Posted by Macrumors

According to AppleInsider, Apple is prepared to launch a video-capable version of the iPod in the coming weeks, possibly as soon as the scheduled October 12th media event.

The new iPod is expected to be a similar form factor as the present 60 GB iPod, although several millimeters thinner. It is expected to have a smaller click-wheel as found on the iPod nano, making way for a larger high-resolution color display than the current full-size iPod offering.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
i am hoping Apple would use OLED display...to consume less battery life. makes ipod thinner too.

streaming video is great but I am more interested in streaming music with my ipod. that would spell death to sonos' ridiculous $1200 music server.

Elrond39 said:
read the post, smaller (nano-sized) click-wheel. Your ball.

i don't think they would waste that much space just for the sake of putting smaller clickwheel....i would think the screen would cover about 3/4 of the face with remaining covered with wheels.

and howcome nobody talks about the possibility of having a wheel on the opposite side of ipod? I personally don't think manuevering would be that difficult. you just use pinky rather than thumb.

Elrond39

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
Utrecht, The Netherlands
syklee26 said:
i don't think they would waste that much space just for the sake of putting smaller clickwheel....i would think the screen would cover about 3/4 of the face with remaining covered with wheels.

and howcome nobody talks about the possibility of having a wheel on the opposite side of ipod? I personally don't think manuevering would be that difficult. you just use pinky rather than thumb.

His quote was in reference to my mock-up of what I could gather from the speculations, so this is how it would look:

Attachments

• vPod rendition for posting.JPG
    vPod rendition for posting.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 302

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
I hope It's Not $499....

I'm locked into the wrong iPod cycle here - I own 1G & 3G iPods both of which cost $499 at the time. Looks like Apple will squeeze another $499 out of me this time....ouch!

jfischetti

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
I've heard rumblings that Apple is in bed with a major entertainment distributor to release "something" in October.

This is it! The beginning.

The plan is expanded Music Video offerings from all ???? artists in the iTunes Music store, and the initial release of the iTunes Movie store. (name TBD)

The movies will be set with the same DRM system as the music tracks. Download to itunes (scale to full screen with quicktime), put them on your iPod Video player - or better yet -- stream them to your TV with the new Airport Express (Extreme)

The only thing that is unknown is whether the DRM will expire the play-ablilty of the movie after a predetermined length of time. It may be a rental -or- buy scenario -- pay more for no expiration of the film.

The DVD market has been beating its head in trying to come up with a model for this -- Apple has done it! They proved themselves with audio tracks -- now it's time for Video...

I for one would KILL to buy a Theatrical released movie the day it comes out in the theatres -- screw movie theatres and the sticky floors and blabbermouths.

Now i can get a new movie in my home for only me to play for two days or i can own it forever...

We should all buy more stock now!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Interesting....

ThinkSecret have planted themselves on the other side of the fence, saying that the Oct12 special event will not be iPod related but will rather usher in updated PowerBooks and PowerMacs.

The thlot pickens........

Proud Liberal

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
Baby Steps, Folks!

I don't mean to sound rude, but I think many people in this discussion are "putting the cart before the horse", so to speak, when it comes to the "video ipod" or whatever it's going to be called. I think many people are expecting something before it's feasible/available. Let me explain (and for the record, I'm by no means a video expert at all).

My own personal belief is that if Apple releases a vpod, it won't be so much for downloading movies from an iTunes-like store (I think there are too many issues with this for them to make that leap yet), but more so for providing a capability for vpod owners to carry both their music collections AND a few of their own movies/TV shows that have been ripped from DVD/Tivo to a PC/Mac hard drive. I think we need to think of this in terms of "evolutionary acquisition", i.e. vpod version 1, version 2, etc. Just think of how Apple has grown the iPod line as technology has matured/evolved over the last 4 years. I think the vpod will be similar. First introduce something that allows owners to carry both music and movies/TV programming. And yes, I know that there are already devices that do this, but there were also other devices that allowed users to carry MP3 collections prior to the introduction of the iPod. But Apple came along w/the iPod and blew everything else out of the water for several reasons. Why can't they do the same w/a video player? I'm not buying the argument that it would be mostly for downloading & watching music videos - who sits down and watches 2 hours of music videos, anyway (disclaimer: I'm NOT 13 years old, so maybe there's something about the Echo Boomers I'm not aware of!!)

Then the next logical step (a la iTunes introduction) would be to introduce a video store where you can download & buy feature films, episodes of TV shows (like you can buy an entire season of a TV Show at Best Buy on DVD, etc), as well as introducing the next evolution of technology for video devices...

Well I'm done my rant! Since this makes entirely too much sense to me, I'm sure it's about as plausible as pigs flying!

modernpixel

macrumors member
May 15, 2005
New York, NY
Another idea...

A real idea this time - what if Apple dedicated the iPod surface to the screen, and used a spring or button activated popout drawer (much like the OS X interface) for the controls. Since the controls aren't needed constantly - this might work:

real_ipod_video_idea.jpg

silverpilot03

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2005
modernpixel said:
A real idea this time - what if Apple dedicated the iPod surface to the screen, and used a spring or button activated popout drawer (much like the OS X interface) for the controls. Since the controls aren't needed constantly - this might work:

real_ipod_video_idea.jpg

Or...or...or what if it's all screen and the controls are built in as in 100 % touch screen :D WITH some kind tactile sensation for feedback(or whatever they call it)

lewis thomas

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
england
apple gave me a tracking address for my order:

IMACG5 17/2.0GHZ/512/160/SD/BT/AP-GBR
M9844B/A
On or before 12/10/2005
Processing Order

MICROSOFT OFFICE2004 ACAD-USA
T9188LL/A
On or before 12/10/2005
Processing Order

APP FOR IBOOK-E/K-INT
M8852Z/A
On or before 12/10/2005
Processing Order

IBOOK 14.1/1.42/512/60/SD/APX/BT-GBR
M9848B/A
On or before 12/10/2005
Processing Order

APP FOR IMAC/EMAC-E/K-INT
M8851Z/A
On or before 12/10/2005
Processing Order

IPOD 20G W/COLOR DISPLAY-PERS-GBR
PA079B/A
On or before 12/10/2005
Processing Order

interesting, no?

AmericanIdiot12

macrumors regular
swdrumcp said:
Sounds interesting, but the screen is still small for good video watching in my opinion.
Maybe they will offer a new format, something alone the lines of the movies available for the play station portable for example.
Thiking about the PSP, the new iPods need to offer some advantage over it.

dont know if this has already been pointed out but the psp doesnt have a hard drive and flash memory is pretty expensive still

waxymac

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
something is up

I have been thinking this for a long time. OSX mobile is just the start. Here are some more things to think about.

1. Report: Apple contracts chips for new mobile multimedia device
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=982

2. Palm is going to windows mobile and they don't even own the palm OS anymore. What do you think this means for macs and PDA's. Apple has to do a PDA or die and they would never use someone elses OS. Apple could do so much better.

3. Inkwell has been part of OSX sense 10.2

4. Looks like they are going to put the time and resources into something big. Why would they need a 130% increase in office space.
Read:Apple leasing spree targets Cupertino office space
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1301

5.I just bought an iPod 40g and it has changed my life. Everyone I show it to is in love with its photo capabilities. "Thats the best use for an iPod I've seen" , has been said many times to me. However it's operating system is limited. Simple and elegant but limited. Why cant I check off a ToDo? I can change my raiting on a song. There are many limitations that don't have to be there. Apple has just crippled them.

6. The iTunes music store has proven its self. Video is the next logical step. They already are delivering it in the form of music videos and we are seeing more and more video pod-casts every day. Apple for sure has the infrastructure in place to do this type of content delivery on a much larger scale next Wednesday.

7. iSync iCal, iPhoto, Quicktime, iTunes and all the other iApps are simple, effective and powerful. There biggest fault is that they are missing a mobile counterpart.

8. We all need a convergence device. I want a all-in-one PDA, camera, phone, music/video player. The tech is here for this today. It seems to me like the next natural step for Apple. It needs to be done. And the first company that does it WELL will reap great rewards.

Secretly (from my wife) I have been putting away $10 here and 10$ there for about 2 years now for just such a device. Now I can't decide wether to buy it first thing next Wednesday... or put it into Apple stock and triple my money.

Don

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
modernpixel said:

real_ipod_video_idea.jpg
i'm surprised no one has mentioned the scratching issue with a larger screen.
this model would really piss off the angry nano owners

DND82

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Fox 5 news just reported that Apple is going to announce the video iPod next week.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
That thing is nice, does it have a hard drive? Cause if it had anything over 10GB, wow where do I sign up for the US version?

Edit: Found out. 20 GB!!! Plus CF card, thats like 24 gigs!!! bigger than an ipod. With a 4" screen. This thing is nice. I just noticed the wheel too. Ohh man Ohh man. ANd wait is that a removable battery?

Wow, when they say UNLIMITED EXCITMENT, they weren't kidding.

Attachments

• fun.jpg
    fun.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 85

shadownight

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
Montreal (Canada)
Apple is introducing too many iPods...

If Apple truly introduces a Video iPod next Wednesday, they will be taking off the spotlight from the nano, which they sould concentrate on promoting, since it will likely sell more units than a more expensive Video iPod. If they do introduce such a device, I think it should be quite different from a traditionnal iPod, so everyone doesn't get mixed up.
But the suspense is huge!! Really excited about what it might be! :D Can't wait! Imagine if it would be a tablet device.... That would be exciting, but I don't think they would sell much.. We'll see!

Hmmm.. that BBC picture looks pretty accurate (and nice!). Maybe it is true after so long!

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
A PIC OF TEH IPOD AV OMFG!!!1!!!!! HAXORZ RULEZ MAX SUXORZ!!!!

An anonymous source releases this photo. (I don't know if you can tell but it's inside an elevetor).

llama :D ;)

Attachments

• DSC07104.JPG
    DSC07104.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 214

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
why?

i dunno why people think ipod nano and ipod video is in the same market. well, it is same market in a sense that it's ipod. but these two ipods are probably not for same consumers. ipod nano is more for girls/guys who want small portable music player, whereas big ipod has become power users' preferred choice.

maybe i am not really hitting the target of describing the difference but i hope you guys can figure it out.

Shattering Fast

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2005
Taswegia
Flying Llama said:
An anonymous source releases this photo. (I don't know if you can tell but it's inside an elevetor).

llama :D ;)

Hey, that's a pretty good one. Clearly an extended Nano, but still good.

I wouldn't mind if they looked like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.