Visa Dropping Signature Requirement for Chip Cards and Apple Pay Starting in April

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Visa today announced it will eliminate its signature requirement for EMV payments beginning April 2018 in the United States and Canada.

The change will apply to both chip-and-signature credit and debit cards, and contactless payment solutions like Apple Pay when linked to a Visa credit or debit card. The change is designed to allow for a more consistent, streamlined, and quicker checkout experience for both merchants and cardholders.

For years, customers have been required to sign the receipt when making a purchase to verify they own the debit or credit card they are attempting to use. A cashier is supposed to match the signature on the receipt against the one on the back of the card, but in reality, this process is often skipped nowadays.

Currently, even when using Apple Pay, a signature can be required on occasion for purchases over $25 made with a Visa card in the United States. But with EMV technology and other modern safeguards, Visa is now moving to fully eliminate this requirement, in line with Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.

The signature requirement is already much less common in Canada, where customers insert their chip card into a payment terminal and verify ownership by entering a four-digit PIN. You also can't use contactless payments for transactions over $100 in Canada (update: excluding American Express -- thanks Gary Ng!)

Visa says its partners have deployed EMV-chip enabled readers at more than 2.5 million locations around the world. Less than two years since the technology launched in the United States, counterfeit fraud declined 66 percent at EMV-chip enabled merchants, according to the company.

Merchants will remain able to collect signatures if required to do so by an applicable law in a particular jurisdiction.

Article Link: Visa Dropping Signature Requirement for Chip Cards and Apple Pay Starting in April
  2. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. Oldfash33 macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2011
    As if retailers or anyone else for that matter check for a signature LOL
  4. gri macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    New York City, aka Big Apple
    When do we get wireless chips in the CC, similar to Apple pay? Just touch the card reader with the card and payment done. It's already available in Europe all over the place.
  5. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    You had to sign for Apple Pay?? Baffling.
  6. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    Meanwhile, in Germany...

“Hey Apple”
    “When do we get Apple-Pay?”

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2011
    MasterCard can follow suit any time now...
  8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Sep 19, 2003
    They already announced it back in October. Also for April.
  9. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Apr 16, 2015
    Thank God. It's so embarrassing being anywhere outside of the US, when everyone else just pays and walks away, but all the Americans have to sign a slip, and the clerks have to dig out a pen. Some countries are better sports about it than others. But it definitely emphasizes who's an American and who isn't at a time when the US international reputation isn't exactly at it's best.
  10. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

May 1, 2013
    I used a MasterCard gift card the other day and was asked for a signature.
  11. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

Oct 4, 2017
    And Canada, tap to pay for any transaction less than $100
  12. UnusedLoginID macrumors member

Feb 28, 2012
    These cards have been available in the US for years. The have the contactless logo and you just bring it next to the terminal and it’s done. Ask your bank!
  13. laurim macrumors 68000

Sep 19, 2003
    Minnesota USA
    FINALLY. now if only Americans got chip and PIN cards instead of chip and signature so I could use them in other countries without worrying it won’t work, especially while trying to buy a train ticket at a machine that requires a PIN. Often my card will get rejected for needing a signature and I have to try to find a manned ticket counter. Not all subway stations HAVE manned ticket counters and then I’m SOL
  14. Iphtashu Fitz macrumors member

May 5, 2008
    outside Boston
    I *have* a credit card from PenFed that supports Chip & PIN. When I used it up in Canada to do things like pay for gasoline it accepted my PIN without any problems. But any time I used it in a restaurant, etc. they'd still print out a receipt for me to sign for some strange reason...
  15. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Aug 9, 2008
    Capital One is doing it for their Venture and Quicksilver cards. My Costco Visa card issued by Citibank also has the logo but for some reason my card hasn't worked when I've tried it. Doesn't really matter to me as I have it loaded in ApplePay.
  16. tmiw macrumors 68000

Jun 26, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    It'll probably be a while. We tried them before but they ended up becoming such a scandal that most people would demand cards without that feature if banks just started issuing them again en masse. Even now people buy the RFID shields for their non-RFID chip cards because of the bad reputation.

Not really. Only a few banks issue them now, and they tend not to by default (or well, at least AmEx doesn't anyway) because of what I mentioned above.

Most countries are actually going away from chip entirely, at least for smaller purchases. I went to the UK a few months ago and everyone assumed I was paying with contactless/Apple Pay. Which was nice because nearly everyone supported it.

Considering that and the upcoming EU mandate for contactless support at terminals, I'm not so sure PIN's necessary anymore, at least in Europe anyway.
  17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    You're right, they don't. Nine times of ten, they never check the signature or even ask about it. It's a lost art. The only one's who are thorough enough to check seems be more of the older, more well trained employees.
  18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Yes, but it's not ApplePay specific, it's merchant specific. If a merchant requires signature for a physical card payment then it's not going to change because you pay with a virtual card.
  19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Often? Nowadays? More like, never checked, ever, for decades.
  20. tmiw macrumors 68000

Jun 26, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Banks in the US mostly see PIN as a compatibility measure, if they're even willing to admit that there have been problems in the past. That's why cards that are supposedly "chip and PIN" are usually set up so that it's used as a last resort.
  21. 123 macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2002
  22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    As if anyone uses their actual signature when signing.
  23. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2009
    London, UK
    Oh, America, that's just too cute! The rest of the world.
  24. Kikjou Delatour macrumors newbie

Kikjou Delatour

Dec 15, 2016
    I just used Apple Pay for my ticket on Berlin's U-Bahn. Guess Apple Pay works in Germay.
  25. jav6454 macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza