Visa Dropping Signature Requirement for Chip Cards and Apple Pay Starting in April

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2018.

1. tmiw macrumors 68000

They could waive signature if they wanted, but a lot of places only did the minimum required so they could say that they "support Apple Pay". Hell, I'm not sure many places are really all that excited about the whole thing in the first place considering how much some seemingly hate accepting cards in general.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

3. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Pin and Chip like the rest of the world.

4. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Wait, you have to sign a receipt in the States even with Apple Pay?!

5. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

It's all about liability. You are liable for chip + PIN outside the USA but US law protects the consumer by making the card holder and business liable.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, I've sometimes found myself apologizing for my lame American credit card when traveling outside the U.S. It can be a little embarrassing when people standing behind you in line are waiting for you sign that ridiculous scrap of paper (which the merchant probably throws away). I'm still don't know why U.S. banks were so slow to roll out chip and PIN. For the most part they issue the same MasterCard and Visa cards used in Europe and elsewhere.

7. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I was surprised that everyone in Stockholm preferred plastic to cash. I only went to an atm once at the start of my trip and didn’t need to. I don’t think I tried ApplePay because it’s been so hit and miss travelling in the US. Works great in Chicago, practically every cab accepted it. In Vegas, even the McDonalds in the Luxor wouldn’t. In the Twin Cities it’s mixed but I keep emailing my usual stores about it. Hy-Vee is totally dragging their feet. I think they are still hoping for their own pay system to be able to track people’s purchases like that Current C or whatever it’s called. I think a cashier told me the android version works there. So annoying! Let people pay however they want to pay!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    Hmm. Annoying.

8. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

You definitely do not have to sign for VISA (or any other) contactless payments in Canada. Never once when using my card or when using Apple Pay have I been asked for a signature. If the contactless is not available you fall back on chip and PIN.

If you have an old card without a chip, then you sign.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sometimes. It depends on the merchant and the size of the purchase. Most of the signatures are done with a stylus on a screen. I always put a doodle on them and nobody cares. The entire process is a joke and everybody knows it.

10. truthertech macrumors 65816

*crickets*[/QUOTE]

Not at the vast majority of places. I use it everyday and only twice in two years has any merchant asked me to sign

11. loekf macrumors 6502a

loekf

Guess the waiters and waitresses will not be happy. Here in Europe if you tip you put cash on the cable...

12. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

It’s very rare when I have to sign for a purchase. And for Apple Pay I’ve never had to sign before.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not consistently it seems. Traveling in Germany last year we found most of the restaurant receipts included a line to add trinkgeld. I suppose this might be more common in the tourist-oriented areas where they've wised up to the fact that Americans tip a lot better than Europeans, and that tourists are typically traveling with little cash.

14. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

It works, but a) it’s not officially supported, and b) it doesn’t work with a German issued credit card.

15. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

It seems that there is LESS security with EMV. So someone steals my card, no ID, no signature, no nothing. Just buy, buy, buy and no one cares until I get the bill and with no signature, there's no proof it wasn't me.

How is EMV so much more secure when the person who has the card doesn't have to prove anything?

16. dukeblue219 macrumors member

I thought the signature was a way of taking legal responsibility for the transaction in some way. Never even occurred to me that the cashier was supposed to be verifying the signature, because in my entire lifetime (several decades of CC use) nobody has ever looked at the signature, and I have never signed the back of a card, either.

17. VARTV macrumors member

VARTV

BJ's requires it (for AMEX anyways...).

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Some banks have them. The citi Costco Visa card has it. The TCf bank debit cards has it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    Not a receipt, most stores have digital signature things attached to the Chip & PIN readers.

19. genovelle macrumors 6502a

The crazy part is I had this on both of my debit cards, Chase and Capital One for several years. The removed them to go the other way. Crazy!!!

20. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

Completely getting rid of the signature doesn't work as well in a country where paying tips is ubiquitous. A lot of other countries either don't have this in their culture or they include standard service charge with the bill.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Because stolen cards are very little compared to hacks and breaches. Which is what emv plus e2e prevents

22. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

There are cards that come with that. For example you can set up a PIN for a BoA Travel Reward credit card so that it could be used online or abroad at POS requiring a PIN.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

UK takes tips yet no signatures. Just tap or PIN#

24. panangi macrumors member

panangi

I think that depends on the issuing bank. My Citibank & Capital One cards already have that feature on them, but not on my BOA debit & credit cards. As far as I know, that feature has been long available here too albeit selectively though.