VMware Fusion 10 Coming in October With macOS High Sierra and Touch Bar Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

VMware today announced the upcoming release of VMware Fusion 10, its popular virtualization software for Mac.

[​IMG]

VMware Fusion 10 includes full compatibility with macOS High Sierra, integration with the Touch Bar on the latest MacBook Pro models, and support for Apple's Metal 2 graphics acceleration technology for improved graphics performance, power efficiency, and accuracy of rendering.

Fusion 10 also features a redesigned user interface, including improved Installation and Migrate Your PC wizards.

[​IMG]

Fusion 10 can run hundreds of operating systems, ranging from the latest Windows 10 versions to lesser-known Linux distributions. It will be able to run the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update expected to launch in October.

VMware will also be releasing Fusion 10 Pro, targeted at IT professionals and developers. The premium version features enhanced vSphere and networking controls, support for REST APIs, integration with VMware PhotonOS, and support for Microsoft's new virtualization-based security features such as Credential Guard.

VMware Fusion 10 and Fusion 10 Pro are expected to be available in October for $79 and $159 respectively. Fusion 8.5 customers will be able to upgrade to Fusion 10 for $49 or Fusion 10 Pro for $119.

Additionally, customers who purchase Fusion 8.5 or Fusion 8.5 Pro between August 22 and November 1 this year will be eligible for an upgrade to Fusion 10 or Fusion 10 Pro, respectively, at no additional cost.

Fusion 10 will be accompanied by Workstation 14 Player and Workstation 14 Pro with enhanced data center management capabilities.

Article Link: VMware Fusion 10 Coming in October With macOS High Sierra and Touch Bar Support

2. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

3. ikir macrumors 6502a

4. nsimpson94 macrumors regular

Interesting timing - were they just waiting for Parallels to announce Desktop 13 before announcing this?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, I think they both do that

6. nsimpson94 macrumors regular

I see, thanks!

I use Parallels at the moment but have used VMWare in the past - I don't think I use them incredibly intensively to differentiate between the benefits of each.

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I have a feeling the next keynote is going to showcase the touch bar even more than ever since its here to stay. It will be like emotions never going away.

8. agentx macrumors member

VMware is by far the best option for Virtualisation. You will get stiffed for upgrades by Parallels much more often. We tend to upgrade our licences every 3 years not every 1/2 years with Parallels. PLus we can move our images to ESXi easily.
    However, we rely on having to run latest OS for testing etc.

9. nsimpson94 macrumors regular

You're right, the nagging for upgrading/subscribing does get annoying!

10. rodpascoe macrumors regular

rodpascoe

Why does everyone talk about emoticons when they reference the Touch Bar? I have had a MacBook for a couple of months now, I love love love the Touch Bar and use it hundreds of times a day. I've never once used it to pick an emoticon.

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

12. manu chao macrumors 603

So, the rumours from one or two years ago that VMware had dissolved the Fusion team and was withdrawing from the Mac virtualisation market weren't quite accurate.

13. Rafterman macrumors 68000

October? Not good enough. Parallels already released support for High Sierra.

14. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Indeed. VMware didn't actually say that... they restructured and shifted the "Hosted UI" team about.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2017 ---
    But High Sierra will officially GM in October? So Parallels have released support for an unfinished OS.. which company is the more stupid of the 2?

15. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

Interested to see how graphics performance compares with Parallels 13 (since Fusion has Metal support). Also will Fusion support DirectX 11 and 12?

16. nvmls macrumors regular

nvmls

Right, who needs UI these days when you can just finger it's buttons through another display?

17. mrzz macrumors member

good enough, v8 works on Sierra too

18. simon-says macrumors regular

So I'm a recent VMware convert from Parallels, maybe 9 months or less. Parallels upgrades, plus changing to one license per machine wasn't fun with an iMac and MacBook. So I made the switch. Anyone know if Fusion 8.5 will run in High Sierra? Would rather skip this version if I can.

19. KavalierMalta macrumors member

KavalierMalta

VMware all the way. Good software with nice UI.

20. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

"Fusion 10 can run hundreds of operating systems, "

LOL --- I'd like to see them find just ONE hundred operating systems to run. Not counting micro incremental version updates of course.

21. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Not without a modification before trying to install.

22. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Because people who can't afford things like to roll out tired untrue cliches (like banging on about USB-C dongles) to make themselves feel better.

23. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Oh brother, another thing I have to think about upgrading just to ensure it works with the latest macOS upgrade. I honestly don't think I will bother. Might just settle for VirtualBox for a change. I do like VMWare Fusion, its really polished, I would expect the same with Parallels, but I can't bleed money every years just to ensure compatibility.

24. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

What DirectX version will this version support? Up until now they only support v9 whilst DX10 has been out since 30 January 2007, DX11 since October 27, 2009 and DX12 since March 20, 2014. Thus effectively over 10 years out of date, to date.

Oh yes you will shoot me down in flames and point to Metal support. Of course you will. Go ahead, feel free. My question still stands though.

25. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I've been running 8.5 thru all the HS betas without issue