VMware Fusion 10 Coming in October With macOS High Sierra and Touch Bar Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Nermal, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm going by the definition used by Wikipedia, where Linux is described as an operating system, and the various variants are "distributions".

I was not aware that they weren't compatible with each other. It seems that I was mistaken!

2. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Exactly but still they only support January 2007's DirectX 10. For this reason these VM progs (Fusion & Parallels) become increasingly invalid options. For instance here I am sitting on last years game that insists on DX11 from 2009 LOL but the handy software experts at VMWare are more interested in eye candy.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2017 ---
    LOL, DX11 had been out since 2009, Metal 2014. So at least 3 years is not long enough to write a bit of code? Perhaps they need to employ some hackers they can get stuff up and running and on the market in hours!

3. bjoswald macrumors regular

bjoswald

I’m still shocked it caught on to begin with.

4. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Most of those are Linux LOL

5. neliason macrumors 6502

IO is really that much faster? How do you know that? If true I might want to switch. I have Visual Studio on a Fusion Windows VM and it is slow as molasses loading and compiling. I have my VMs on an external USB 3 drive connected via a Thunderbolt dock.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2017 ---
    You are right, but you can run OSs like Raspian for Raspberry Pi on them. Nonetheless reducing writes helps and any configuration you can do to reduce them is smart. Having lots of extra space also helps so it isn't writing to the same place in the card. I ran Ubuntu on a SD card for a Shervaplug for many years. But it eventually did become corrupted. For any media it is only a matter of when it will fail but SD cards will absolutely be sooner.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

Don't let the term "distribution" fool you. Any distribution still fulfils the definition of operating system since it still is that piece of software managing hardware and software. Those distributions do use the same kernel and thus the same code but the settings (modules and such) can differ greatly so any distribution that deviates from the vanilla kernel considerably should really be seen as its own operating system. For example Oracle's Linux distributions. It uses Red Hat but they heavily modified the kernel settings so that it works for their own software and has some tighter security settings. The changes are so big that it makes it incompatible with the original they are based upon (and any of the others that are based on Red Hat). Of course with it being open source software you can always change the kernel for your own modified one.

What sets Linux apart from the rest is the fact that development is done differently. Where the rest of the operating system world is developing the system as a whole, Linux is cut up into pieces. With that I mean that i.e. Windows, macOS, FreeBSD, etc. are developed from kernel to applications by 1 team. In Linux the kernel is developed by 1 team, the apps by another and the distribution which bundles them all together is done by yet another team. That team does make it into 1 working operating system though and thus you should see it as such.

The BSD derived operating systems are much easier to understand since everything is done by 1 team. BTW, BSD is also a derivative of yet another well known operating system that now is a certification: UNIX. AT&T even tried to sue BSD and failed miserably (just like SCO did with Linux).

While the BSD derived operating systems are quite easy, Linux is quite complex and also highly debatable (not everyone agrees with seeing a distro as a separate OS, they see any Linux distro as being Linux and will count them as 1 OS like you did). Can't blame you here.

The world doesn't end with BSD derivatives, Windows and Linux though. MS-DOS (and its derivates), Haiku (which might be better known as BeOS), NetWare, Solaris (and its derivates), ESXi, etc. are also supported operating systems that one can run in the VMware virtualisation products (they all share the same hypervisor which is why the VMs can be run on all their virtualisation software; this is also why VMware is a much more solid product than Parallels is, it not only has to work in their consumer products but also in their enterprise products which are far more demanding).

7. al404, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017

al404 macrumors 6502

al404

8. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

May I ask what you use Parallels for now?

Reason I ask is I personally find Parallels to be fantastic if Windows is part of your every day, constantly running workflow. With that said Parallels has very aggressive (in my opinion abusive) kernel extensions that have caused me a ton of stability issues.

VMWare Fusion (and VMWare in general) does a fantastic job of balancing the true intention of virtualization (multiple operating systems run in a manner that maintains stability) while being fairly seamless for user experience.

Theres tradeoffs with everything. Parallels can "APPEAR" to perform better, but stability can suffer as a result.

The new VMWare Fusion at least for me is actually fantastic. Even in the "Preview" builds that are publicly available it can be glitchy inside the guest OS but is generally stable.

9. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

just for testing purpose, mostly browser and few other things
    I don't really need to use any windows only app

10. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I got in contact with VMWare and they confirmed that even though they implemented Metal support in Fusion 10, they still only support DirectX 10 which came out in Jan 2007. Limit seems to have been historically lack of graphic shader support in Open GL in macOS but even the guy from VMWare who answered was vague about whether Metal will increase DX compatibility. Here's hopin'

Don't hold your hopes out for Parallels either, their latest release too only supports DX 10 and no Metal either.

Good job for the flakes that we got Boot Camp facilities eh LOL

(I hope flakes in this context is permitted locution.)

11. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 65816

They are probably counting the Googolplex of Linux Distros as separate OSes.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2017 ---
    Then better just give up ALL your tech stuff now...

12. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Yes they are all Linux, but Linux is Linux so in that respect they are all one, similar to Mayavada philosophy LOL

13. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Thats a ridiculous thing to say because of my issue with upgrading a niche app. I'm still running Adobe CS6 which came out in 2012 on 10.12. Final Cut 7 is still compatible with macOS and so are many older apps. Office 2011 released in 2010 also works on the latest version. So, I don't see how this relates to having to give up all my tech stuff now.

Forward and backward compatibility has always been a major selling point of applications and operating systems. Try to think with some logics here.

14. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 65816

Because you were IMPLYING that you feel you HAVE to keep up on the Upgrade Treadmill.

I think you will find most Apple users (and other platforms, too!) that keep using familiar Applications long after they are superceded. I'm like you, if it still runs, and I don't "just GOTTA have" some new feature, I tend to use what I have.

15. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

But how does my concern with probably having to get the new version means I have to give up all my tech stuff? Do have to get it rid of my 2015 MacBook Pro run High Sierra? This was in respect to one single application. It doesn't make sense; you simply took it out of extreme context. I even said, I will switch to VirtualBox if thats the case, at least I know if it breaks with a future release of macOS, I can get fix or new version without incurring a cost.

I could get VMWare Fusion Pro technically for free anyway since I am part of a Microsoft award program, but its 360 day license, which you have to give feed back on once per year to renew.

16. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I've been very happy with Fusion 7, 8, and 8.5, so I will probably buy 10.

I was a little offput by the VMWare layoffs, and I expected 8.5 to go downhill, but so far it has not.

17. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Until their graphics code was running on Metal, they didn't even have the opportunity, since Apple provides no support for OpenGL Compute Shaders (instead wanting people to use OpenCL). Now that they have a Metal-based graphics subsystem, it becomes possible to move beyond DX10 in a sane way.

Not to mention that translating entire APIs—especially ones as complex, wide-ranging, and performance-sensitive as hardware accelerated 3D—is an exceptionally difficult task. Certainly not reasonably described as requiring "a bit of code".

I'd love to see more modern DirectX support in VMware, but I'm not under any illusions about how "easy" it is to implement.

18. Collywobbles macrumors newbie

parallels desktop lite? uses the hypervisor framework. it should be good to run from version to version of the OS. The primary issue with both VMware and parallels is the kernel extensions; they suck. Start up and shut down a VMware VM and the Mac freezes for several seconds; this is a 2016 MBP 15.4" 2.8ghz i7.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Fusion not going down the pan?? What? Yes it is... I've used it since version 1 and I can say it is getting worse with each generation...

19. chrfr macrumors 604

I use several virtual machines in Fusion 8.5.8 at work every day. I have never seen this problem.

20. Collywobbles macrumors newbie

same here, and I do; everyday.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    another common problem is losing the cursor too. I tend to use VM's full screen so sweeping between desktops generally brings it back.

21. chrfr macrumors 604

How much memory do you have allocated to your virtual machine(s) and how much RAM is in your computer? If you have a RAM allocation that's too high in the virtual machine, the Mac will have to swap, and that will cause some interruption.

22. jeyf macrumors 6502a

a VMware rumor they fired most of their engineering staff a few years ago. interesting to see their new offering if i can afford it. $$

i have a 2016 MBP upgrade gpu and osx = 10.12.2. NOT running VMWare. some times the curser goes away, give it a few seconds the curser comes back in an odd spot.

a 2015 iMac, having 16G ram, seems VMware never uses more than 8

23. Collywobbles macrumors newbie

whilst i'm sure there are lot's of people out there who wouldn't think of that; I'm not one of them. ;) the problem exhibits itself better when resuming rather than booting a VM from cold. the issue is around how fusion restores state and kernel extensions that don't yield. but, to answer your question, the VM's are generally run two core with no more than 6gb ram. i find that adequate for most things as outlandish disk speeds make up for moderate ram settings. the MBP is 16gb ram, 1TB SSD, quad core i7 2.8ghz 2016 model. 2016 mac's have PSIe SSD's in them that support over 2gbps speeds. in short, they are **** hot. and when APFS hits the streets, they will be even quicker. so, i have plenty of "umph" with plenty of space.

24. rjlawson macrumors newbie

25. chrfr macrumors 604

It's only a 30 day trial. Fusion used to, and still might, include a 90 day trial of some antivirus product to run in a Windows guest, but I've never used that.