Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osiodmak

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Waiting for a "Bare Metal" Install Option!

While it is great to be able to install multiple versions of Windows, Mac and Linux under VMWare, the challenge is still the amount of resources required to run the base OS that VMWare sits upon. VMWare and Parallels should release a "Bare Metal" version of their visualization engines for PCs and Macs, that way you maximize your machines resources to the guest OS. VMWare sells a server version but when I last checked, they would not release it for Laptops and Desktop computers. There is a great market out there for that type of product!

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
The DRM in old iTunes tracks is a totally different thing. It need to be unencrypted on the fly to access this. There isn't any DRM in OSX that prevents a user from doing this. The company just made people be more honest by checking your version before it would run. Now it takes your word for it.

If there had been a honesty policy for DRM, there would have been no point in having DRM. A pirate's wet dream

Now if only more people would use such licensing check methods...

Attempt to play an old iTunes song that still has FairPlay, for example, and rather than have to figure out which iTunes account it was downloaded with, just click the "Yep, I'm authorized to listen to this." button.

Oooh! This could be used instead of passwords, too!

Slide to Unlock your iPhone and instead of a keypad, it simply says "Please verify you're allowed to use this iPhone."

And for getting into and starting cars!

"Please verify you're allowed to drive me."

Ahhh, the possibilities are endless. I would like such a world, I think.

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX
While it is great to be able to install multiple versions of Windows, Mac and Linux under VMWare, the challenge is still the amount of resources required to run the base OS that VMWare sits upon. VMWare and Parallels should release a "Bare Metal" version of their visualization engines for PCs and Macs, that way you maximize your machines resources to the guest OS. VMWare sells a server version but when I last checked, they would not release it for Laptops and Desktop computers. There is a great market out there for that type of product!

there are plenty of people running esxi on desktops. google "esxi whitebox".

i've seen people try to get esxi running on a mac mini, but i don't recall ever seeing a successful install.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
It doesn't have to. You have overlooked the clause early in the license that states that all rights are reserved unless otherwise stated. They are not required to exhaustively list everything one of the thousands of things you cannot do.

The license says that you can install and run one copy of the Apple system software on one computer. That pragmatically precludes any usage with Fusion (or Parallels) since they require a host OS.
[putting aside hypervisors for the moment.]

The only "out" you get is that Apple allows the license to be upgraded with an software upgrade. Those who get Lion may loop their usage of the
subset of the "apple software" that is SL may be used with the upgradedd Lion license. Running without a Lion license is likely a problem.

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't overlook that. I acknowledge it. I just don't see it as relevant to excluding virtualization. People are discussing now Apple allows virtualization of SL Server but not SL. Where does it say that? They're not referrng to the "all rights reserved" clause you're talking about.

Furthermore, as I mentioned, you're obviously in compliance if you install one (virtualized) copy of SL on Lion, provided that 1) it's your only copy under a single-license EULA, or 2) it's one of five installations under a Family Pack license. That is, the host OS and the virtualized OS are different, both presumably purchased, each with its own license for "the Apple system software."

If we're getting down to the semantics of "the Apple system software" we could be up all night. But it seems plain that the "the" refers to the software with which the EULA was bundled. That is, "the Apple system software" in the EULA that came with Lion refers to Lion, and "the Apple system software" in the EULA that came with Snow Leopard refers to Snow Leopard. That is, "the" means "this."

Incidentally, the EULA for Mac OS 9 also doesn't explicitly disallow virtualization, and no one seems to have a legal issue with that. If Apple didn't want us to do it, they'd specifically say so.

EDIT: I just took a look at the EULA for AirPort Software, as an example. The license refers to the use of "the Apple Software." If your interpretation of "the Apple system software" is correct (in that it excludes the use of any other Apple system software), then the AirPort license excludes the use of any other Apple software. Both are, of course, incorrect: any EULA's terms refer only to the piece of software with which it was bundled. This blocking of SL Client virtualization clearly came from VMWare and Parallels, not from Apple. Why they did so it still unclear to me, but I'm glad VMWare has seen the error of its ways. Let's hope Parallels follows.

Last edited:

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Very interesting. I wonder how hard Apple will sue them for this. Sadly.

I don't think you understand the licensing part.

This isn't hacking software or pirating anything. Instead of writing the software to verify you own a certain version, they just take your word for it.

Now, by clicking continue, Apple could technically take some kind of action against the end user. I really don't know what that would be, or why they'd bother. Retract your right use to OSX? (That's counter productive, just a bit.)

They can't really nab you for piracy... well, because you own the software license. Actually, you're a loyal customer who owns at least 2 license for 2 different versions of OSX.

So I don't think Apple would bother coming at it's loyal customers who are going backwards probably to use incompatible apps. Now if people were using this as a means to run OSX on Windows... they might show some fang.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
It's worth noting that VirtualBox has been doing this for a while, and for free. It's not as polished as Parallels or VMWare, but it is competent and it is free.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
VMWare vs. Virtual Box?

Are there any advantages to doing this with VMWare over Virtual Box?
Working USB access or volume sharing or something?

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I still have clients that require me to use Final Cut Studio 2. I wonder if I would be able to run FCP 6.0.6 in a Snow Leopard virtual environment and still get decent results. I've been wanting to upgrade to Lion, but haven't because of that. Hopefully this will be a workaround, without causing slower renders and other performance issues.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This blocking of SL Client virtualization clearly came from VMWare and Parallels, not from Apple.

Correct. I, too, couldn't find anything in the Apple SLA about it so I contacted VMware directly. Its reply was that Apple asked VMware to block OS X Client.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
If we're getting down to the semantics of "the Apple system software" we could be up all night. But it seems plain that the "the" refers to the software with which the EULA was bundled. That is, "the Apple system software" in the EULA that came with Lion refers to Lion, and "the Apple system software" in the EULA that came with Snow Leopard refers to Snow Leopard. That is, "the" means "this."

I agree with Kabeyun. It seems to me that, with respect to visualization, the only contentious part in the EULA is whether "the Apple software" is an umbrella terms for all Apple system software or whether it refers to the particular version of the OS that the EULA pertains to. Surely, since there are separate EULAs for each version of the OS, it must be the latter. In which case, I also fail to see how the EULA would preclude use in a virtual environment (on Apple hardware and when neither version of the OS is an upgrade version of the other).

If this interpretation of "the Apple software" is incorrect, then it means not only is visualization prohibited by the EULA, but so is dual booting different versions of OS X on the same Mac.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Good Start but...

This is a good start but we need legacy support for all of the old operating systems right back to the Apple I. It is a shame that Apple abandoned OS9/Classic. There is a tremendous amount of educational software that was written for that and never ported to the new MacOSX. I would like to see Apple support running of all of that old software across all of their OS's and devices. After all, an iPodTouch is far more powerful than the machines that ran OS9.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Is this when you are supposed to say:

Oh man, Apple is blatantly copying MSFT's approach!!

I never really managed to get the whole "copy-logic" that seems to dominate here at MR.

(Think twice before replying to this post).

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
This is a good start but we need legacy support for all of the old operating systems right back to the Apple I. It is a shame that Apple abandoned OS9/Classic. There is a tremendous amount of educational software that was written for that and never ported to the new MacOSX. I would like to see Apple support running of all of that old software across all of their OS's and devices. After all, an iPodTouch is far more powerful than the machines that ran OS9.

http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/
I've never tried it, but the homepage says it can run under OS X

Is this possible now or is it just for OSX within OSX?

Its technically possible - and people do it - but its clearly prohibited in the EULA of OS X:

"You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer"

Is this when you are supposed to say:

Oh man, Apple is blatantly copying MSFT's approach!!

How so??

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Not good!

Time and time again I have seen people waste massive amounts of time and money trying to drag old code and applications along.

It won't be long before I come across something who thought it would a good idea to run 10.7 server with a VM of 10.3 running classic and complaining about how his appletalk network stack isn't working correctly on the network.

PEOPLE MOVE ALONG!!!!!!

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Apple are perpetual bullies, and will probably try to stop this, since they disapprove.

I for one, hope VMWare tells them to sod off and mind their own business. This is great functionality.

It's funny how your a so called "demi-god" on Macrumors, but you don't know anything about Apple.
OSX Lion and Snow Leopard can be installed on any computer as long as it's a mac.
(Including VMWare)

lanceh5

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
This is great news. Solves lots of problems for me. I use several old non-Lion programs on a regular basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.