Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
More of a spec bump than a traditional update.

update
verb |ˌəpˈdāt, ˈəpˌdāt| [ with obj. ]
make (something) more modern or up to date

the chips were updated from 2.3 to 2.4. 2.6 to 2.7
even though they were still sandy bridge chips, they were still made more modern and up to date

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
update

even though they were still sandy bridge chips, they were still made more modern and up to date

yeah, but we don't call that an update.
in terms of macbook as a whole, a processor upgrade counts as a spec bump.
while multiple component upgrades will be called as update

this is to reduce confusion.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I think they'll want plenty of space between new iMacs and the Pro (even though they're quite different), and not to overlap with the Air that was just updated. So... iMacs in July, MBP in August.

I'm usually wrong.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
update

While that may be correct in a technical sense, we're talking about an Apple hardware refresh here. Usually an update to the MBP line includes a new generation of Intel chips, newer GPUs and perhaps even increased storage and/or RAM as well as other upgrades (WiFi, USB 3 etc).

Since the "update" as you call it, that occurred in February, included only a clock speed increase in the CPU department, but kept the same generation of Intel chips (Ivy Bridge), same GPU and the same I/O, I'm more inclined to call it a spec bump rather than an update.

But each to their own, I guess.

Last edited:

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
This may have been answered a million times, but is it worth it to buy the Retina MBP now or should I wait? I'll be starting college in July. Any speculation on exactly when the haswell update will be coming?

DarkoDonnie

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
omg I'm torn. literally 50/50 and it's taring me up. I bought an iMac in 2008, again in 2011, missed an update both times by purchasing ~40 days too early.

I'm sure the current rMBP's are far powerful enough for what I do.. (web dev) but it's just that horrible feeling when you see the same price with 25% more ram and perhaps with haswell better battery life..

I love the argument "life's too short to wait" but the "New intel architectures only come every 2 years" is a mighty good rebuttal.

Ahh, what to do, what to do.

I don't "need" it, but I do need it by end of August.. why wait all summer for an upgrade that might not come?

vash420

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2010
omg I'm torn. literally 50/50 and it's taring me up. I bought an iMac in 2008, again in 2011, missed an update both times by purchasing ~40 days too early.

I'm sure the current rMBP's are far powerful enough for what I do.. (web dev) but it's just that horrible feeling when you see the same price with 25% more ram and perhaps with haswell better battery life..

I love the argument "life's too short to wait" but the "New intel architectures only come every 2 years" is a mighty good rebuttal.

Ahh, what to do, what to do.

I don't "need" it, but I do need it by end of August.. why wait all summer for an upgrade that might not come?

But you CAN wait until August, so do it. You'll only be kicking yourself seeing everyone on here going crazy on the release day. :eek:

Then of course, it's time for the several hundred threads about some esoteric defect that takes a twenty minute presentation to explain to the genius bar. :mad:

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
Anyone else notice the buyer's guide for rMBP went to red? :confused:

well ... according to the date average ...
Screen%20Shot%202013-06-19%20at%204.51.42%20PM.png

fratey

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010
Okay, I'm not worried anymore. I just bought a 15" MBP mid 2012 for a third of the Apple store price (I love them bankruptcy auctions!) that'll settle me until Haswell or Broadwell.

Wish you guys best of luck!

advancedbasic

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
well ... according to the date average ...

All I need is a believable message from the rumor mill suggesting that the update will occur NO LATER than like mid-August. It's the uncertainty that's getting me haha...

All of the facts point to a refresh in-time for the B2S event. At least that would certainly help the sales of whatever Haswell/refreshed MBPs we see.

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
All I need is a believable message from the rumor mill suggesting that the update will occur NO LATER than like mid-August. It's the uncertainty that's getting me haha...

All of the facts point to a refresh in-time for the B2S event. At least that would certainly help the sales of whatever Haswell/refreshed MBPs we see.

well ... students are more spec conscious, so they hope to get the most value out of their money.
launching a new macbook after / near end of B2S promotion will cause a lot of dissatisfaction and returns.

at least thats what i'm thinking ... not sure if anybody is on the same boat as mine.

Livewings

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
well ... students are more spec conscious, so they hope to get the most value out of their money.
launching a new macbook after / near end of B2S promotion will cause a lot of dissatisfaction and returns.

at least thats what i'm thinking ... not sure if anybody is on the same boat as mine.

I am a student, and I am conscious about what I'm spending on. There's no way I'll spend on old products knowing the better ones (significantly) are coming.

I'm sure there's a reason why B2S haven't started. rMBP refreshes!!!! :D

And I would like to see Apple kill off the cMBP line and drop prices for both rMBP models

advancedbasic

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
I am a student, and I am conscious about what I'm spending on. There's no way I'll spend on old products knowing the better ones (significantly) are coming.

I'm sure there's a reason why B2S haven't started. rMBP refreshes!!!! :D

And I would like to see Apple kill off the cMBP line and drop prices for both rMBP models

I think it's also partly a generational thing (not wanting to spend money on old technology when the new stuff is out or just around the corner).

But yeah, that reasoning is valid. I just hope it's actually right!

And I doubt you'll see more than a $100 price drop across the line -- Apple has a fair bit of pricing power although it's getting harder and harder for them to maintain their insane margins in an industry where they're the only ones with margins so high...

LYFK

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I just noticed the Canada refurb store (at least for now) is out of the 15" rMBP at $2189 (16GB, 512SSD), which was a pretty solid deal. The only ones left are $2619 (2.6GHz, 16GB, 768SSD). Feeling like maybe I should have pulled the trigger.

If you compare educational pricing AND B2S promotion against refurb pricing, the difference can be pretty significant in favor of refurb, sometimes over $400 difference for similar product.

I must be under some kind of jedi mind trick to be waiting for a computer when there are perfectly good ones being sold for cheap. That and my 13" MBA is still chugging along...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Yup, I really want to buy now but I know there might be a rumor from an analyst soon. Maybe the rMBP will come out in July like originally predicted, at least I hope so.

Just wish we knew something.

bkin94

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Is it safe to assume that the rMBP will have the same PCIe flash storage as the 2013 MBA? or even better?

Vukmon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
I just heard silly rumor from my friend that new rMBP will be equipped with even higher-res. display :D

taycross

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Anyone?

Anyone waiting for the Haswell update want to sell me their current gen rMBP? :) Preferably with a 512GB SSD. :D

Vukmon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
That is 4K UHD standard :eek: If that rumor turns out to be true, competition will be officially 5 years behind Apple :D

Vukmon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
When it comes to Apple product with superb technology, price is not the issue ;)

For instance, professional photographer in one bag can have equipment worth easily over 30k Euros. Having slim & very powerful laptop with 4K IPS screen for $5199 is no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.