Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I took little research to see Apple`s schedule from past. As you can see from quote below, June was only date possible after April for MBP update, next one is coming in October - nothing between! So, if you are dreaming about update in July, best thing is to wake up :D

So...you're saying there's a chance the new MBP is coming in the next 10 days? :p

Vukmon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) takes places June 10-14 in San Francisco.

What was planned for June is already presented :D Dont play smart - not cool :p

Livewings

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I took little research to see Apple`s schedule from past. As you can see from quote below, June was only date possible after April for MBP update, next one is coming in October - nothing between! So, if you are dreaming about update in July, best thing is to wake up :D

You are probably right.
I just couldn't explain why the leaked rMBP 13" on Geekbench is running on a newer build of Mavericks. It could only mean it will launch with Mavericks which means in the Fall. :(

Oh well, at least it will come with Thunderbolt 2 :D which I'm never going to use :(

vash420

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2010
You are probably right.
I just couldn't explain why the leaked rMBP 13" on Geekbench is running on a newer build of Mavericks. It could only mean it will launch with Mavericks which means in the Fall. :((

I'm trying to be optimistic and thinking that they'd have secretly tested both RMBP's ready for July, however I'm not convincing myself. :(

It's even worse seeing my mrs' top end 2013 MBA today. It's not powerful enough but goddamn it's better than my 2007 MBP. :mad:

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I wouldn't read into past releases. Apple often breaks their own mold. We could see a new MBP anytime between now and October, no reason to absolutely assume it's October or nothing until.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I don't think a discrete GPU-less 15" Macbook Pro is going to happen.

The only reason the 13" lost it's GPU was that Intel dropped support for NVidia's northbridge, and Apple held out for a looooong time on that one.

PaulSpr

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
Probably not going to happen but I would love the resolution of the 15" to increase from 2880x1800 to 3300x2100 so it would be a true 2:1 to 1650x1050. Without scaling, as good as that may be.

I love the 1440x900 on my 13" air, much better than the 1280x800 on the 13" MacBook Pro. It's a bit of a shame the resolution on the 13" retina is based on the 1280x800 of the 13" cMBP.

Anyway. I heard, in this topic, that there are no new rMBP's yet because the chips are not yet available. Apparently they've only launched on paper.

Vukmon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
That is very honest from Tim & I support that way of thinking. Also, I assume they are making a lot more tests with suppliers, so they avoid "Ghosting" type of problems.

Livewings

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Probably not going to happen but I would love the resolution of the 15" to increase from 2880x1800 to 3300x2100 so it would be a true 2:1 to 1650x1050. Without scaling, as good as that may be.

I love the 1440x900 on my 13" air, much better than the 1280x800 on the 13" MacBook Pro. It's a bit of a shame the resolution on the 13" retina is based on the 1280x800 of the 13" cMBP.

Anyway. I heard, in this topic, that there are no new rMBP's yet because the chips are not yet available. Apparently they've only launched on paper.

I would love to see that too. 3360x2100, a dream for now

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
for me that 12h battery usage probably for the next 15" rMBP, the graphic cards, the ac wifi and probably the next maveriks for free if you buy a new mac is a game changer for mee

Battery life only works if you hardly use the machine, i can get 7.5hours in OS X on my 15" RMBP but just idling around, view web pages etc, because the dGPU is off, and the CPU is idle, if you watch movies the CPU and GPU fire up a bit and you lose 2hours easily. If you game you'll get 2 hours max.

If you run W7/8 you'll get 4 hours max because the dGPU is active full time.

And if you max out 8 threads as i do at 3.5Ghz you'll get 90mins.

So don't expect it to last long if you actually USE it!

Hence why waiting for Haswell is a superficial gain since clock speeds will go down and performance will only increase 5% ish and you'll pay top dollar...

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Battery life only works if you hardly use the machine, i can get 7.5hours in OS X on my 15" RMBP but just idling around, view web pages etc, because the dGPU is off, and the CPU is idle, if you watch movies the CPU and GPU fire up a bit and you lose 2hours easily. If you game you'll get 2 hours max.

If you run W7/8 you'll get 4 hours max because the dGPU is active full time.

And if you max out 8 threads as i do at 3.5Ghz you'll get 90mins.

So don't expect it to last long if you actually USE it!

Hence why waiting for Haswell is a superficial gain since clock speeds will go down and performance will only increase 5% ish and you'll pay top dollar...

But with Haswell, the integrated graphics are almost on par with 650M. So the UI responsiveness will be way better than with the old HD4000.

Haswell may not be much more better with number crushing and battery-life in real use. But the iGPU will make a lot difference in the UI when on iGPU.

Tony5787

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
I'm assuming we would see an improved dGPU in the 15" model right? I highly doubt they would leave the 650m in it still.

APPLE-FANATIC

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
I still cant get over the fact that the MacBook Pros have not been updated in over a year! The rMBP got what they call a refresh in Feb, but really September for the next real/true refresh of the Pro line. They must be testing more than we are thinking, hell, maybe they are adding fingerprint sensors to the Pros, lol!:D

ppone

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
The rMBP is coming out whenever Mavericks gets released; most likely in the fall.

The reason is as follows:

1.)
The next iteration of 15 " rMBP will have modest upgrades. Maybe 5-15% increase in CPU performance and up to 20% increase in GPU performance. In OS X 10.8, it will only in a very minor sense improve the lag. There might be some energy savings but this is touted as a "performance laptop", so if there are any at most it will up to 9 hours of battery life instead of 7.

The only performance boost will be the upgrade to PCI-e SSD, that will be 2x faster than this generation and Iris Pro to the 13; which will bring it to the current 15 level in terms of GPU.

1a.) Releasing in the fall gives Apple a chance to release old inventory and make extra profit on the reduced processor prices; while building up new Haswell inventory. They can also skip the whole back to school special on the Haswell rMBP => more profits.

2.)
With OS X Mavericks; it will claim to fix most of the lag issues, while increasing battery life. The gains mostly will be in the software and old ivy bridge rmbp will get the same benefit. Also less memory will be used.

In short, there will not be a big change in the upcoming rMBP. It marketed as a "pro laptop" so Apple will keep the discrete in the 15 and upgrade the 13 to use Iris Pro (*13 will see the biggest performance bump due to the GPU).

side note: You can buy a used base 15 rmbp for $1500 or around $1700 refurbished. Not a bad deal. I use a non retina resolution to solve my performance issues with the 15 rmbp.

That is my prediction.

Last edited:

APPLE-FANATIC

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
The rMBP is coming out whenever Mavericks gets released; most likely in the fall.

The reason is as follows:

1.)
The next iteration of 15 " rMBP will have modest upgrades. Maybe 5-15% increase in CPU performance and up to 20% increase in GPU performance. In OS X 10.8, it will only in a very minor sense improve the lag. There might be some energy savings but this is touted as a "performance laptop", so if there are any at most it will up to 9 hours of battery life instead of 7.

The only performance boost will be the upgrade to PCI-e SSD, that will be 2x faster than this generation and Iris Pro to the 13; which will bring it to the current 15 level in terms of GPU.

1a.) Releasing in the fall gives Apple a chance to release old inventory and make extra profit on the reduced processor prices; while building up new inventory. They can also skip the whole back to school special on the rMBP => more profits.

2.)
With OS X Mavericks; it will claim to fix most of the lag issues, while increasing battery life. The gains mostly will be in the software and old ivy bridge rmbp will get the same benefit. Also less memory will be used.

In short, there will not be a big change in the upcoming rMBP. It marketed as a "pro laptop" so Apple will keep the discrete in the 15 and upgrade the 13 to use Iris Pro (*13 will see the biggest performance bump due to the GPU).

side note: You can buy a used 15 rmbp for $1500 or around $1700 refurbished. Not a bad deal. I use a non retina resolution to solve my performance issues with the 15 rmbp.

That is my prediction.

If Apple is waiting for Maverick's then I wonder why the testing of 802.11ac in Mac OS 10.8.5? Unless this release will be for the most recently updated Airs, but yes, Im starting to believe the Sept/Oct timeframe rumor, although I dont want to accept it :(

ppone

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
"testing of 802.11ac in Mac OS 10.8.5"

Can you elaborate on this?

If Apple is waiting for Maverick's then I wonder why the testing of 802.11ac in Mac OS 10.8.5? Unless this release will be for the most recently updated Airs, but yes, Im starting to believe the Sept/Oct timeframe rumor, although I dont want to accept it :(

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia

"testing of 802.11ac in Mac OS 10.8.5"

Can you elaborate on this?

he probably means 10.8.4

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011

It's very unlikely that the 13'' rMBP gets IRIS Pro (HD 5200). Only 47W Quadcores have it (haswell HQ). If If it gets the Haswell U-Series (as mentioned on the frontpage) it will be equipped with Iris (without Pro)
Still, graphic performance will be much better than now

Still doesn't invalidate my point that it's WAY better than HD4000, so UI responsiveness will be much better with Iris = UI lag gone.

If you are talking about the 13'', than yes, IRIS will improve the graphic performance. The 15'' however will either come with IRIS PRO only, or HD4600 and a dedicated graphic chip. Still, HD 4600 is about 40% faster than the old HD 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.