Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
So basically you get to define what is a major or minor update? Android phones have had bigger screens and NFC for a while now. What's the big deal about that?

So you are telling me that those are major updates? A major update would be a bigger screen, higher resolutions, NFC, etc..

Since when did better battery life become a major update, or adding color to a phone?

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
If it's the same bleeding 4 inch screen, I hope someone in the crowd yells out "BOOOO". I would if I were there. Guess I'll know if I'm coming out of pocket for a $700 Note 3 in a few hours.

Just found out today that the Note 3 can shoot 4k video, too. More and more I'm being pushed to getting my first Android phone.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The Atrix. And the fingerprint sensor wore down after several months and stopped working. This was the problem with traditional fingerprint technology. It needed to be swiped, and eventually you'd swipe off the coating.

What Apple is going to unveil tomorrow will be a breakthrough in the field. Something that just works seamlessly and reliably. One that doesn't need to be swiped and thus won't break down. One that can instantly differentiate between which finger you're pressing with, and could assign different functions depending on which finger you press the home button with.

People are really underestimating just how exciting Apples new biometrics technology really is.

Given all the leaks about the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S I am surprised that there were not more leaks about the fingerprint sensor. Apple managed to keep a tight lid on the specifics this time which is good.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If it has the same design as the iPhone 5 the battery can't be enlarged a lot. So this is not really going to happen.

The rumors say 25hrs more in standby partly due to that extra ~1mm space for the battery and higher capacity.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I actually use my index finger at times when I have the phone on a flat surface. Hopefully you can use multiple digits as a pass print. Something tells me apple will have thought of this.

Not that I care as I'm certainly not buying one. A better camera, flash, spec improvements and battery life are not enough to get me to fork out cash to replace my iphone 5. It's shocking how many people with the 5 that will upgrade though. SMH.

This may be the first iPhone that I'm skipping since the 3GS era. I bought multiple 3GS / 4 / 4S / 5 for my family and myself but I am very satisfied with my 5 this time:

The camera is great;
The single LED flash is bright enough and I don't use very often;
CPU/GPU wise it's already very very fast;
and battery life? Yes if they can improve it by 50%.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I saw Gruber (it makes me itch just writing that) say the 5C may start at $500. So can't imagine what this one with the fingerprint reader will be ($700 plus?). I can't see how you market something over $500 with the feature of a fingerprint reader. Not when the Nexus starts at $200. I'm thinking of getting my first smartphone but not at $500, unless my family goes back on contract with Verizon, which is fairly doubtful. I have been hoping that the "big" surprising feature of the iPhone 5C would be the price (as in $300 or less).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If it's the same bleeding 4 inch screen, I hope someone in the crowd yells out "BOOOO". I would if I were there. Guess I'll know if I'm coming out of pocket for a $700 Note 3 in a few hours.

Just found out today that the Note 3 can shoot 4k video, too. More and more I'm being pushed to getting my first Android phone.

congrats, you bought your man purse accessory?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
The Atrix. And the fingerprint sensor wore down after several months and stopped working. This was the problem with traditional fingerprint technology. It needed to be swiped, and eventually you'd swipe off the coating.

What Apple is going to unveil tomorrow will be a breakthrough in the field. Something that just works seamlessly and reliably. One that doesn't need to be swiped and thus won't break down. One that can instantly differentiate between which finger you're pressing with, and could assign different functions depending on which finger you press the home button with.

People are really underestimating just how exciting Apples new biometrics technology really is.

Oh so this will be new and exciting? Dude you haven't seen it yet. Definition of fanboy here.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL

1. Its an "S" phone...its not suppose to be different
2. You have an iPhone 5 why would you care for the 5S
3. Why would you want an oversized phone instead of a decently sized (Galaxy S4, Nexus 4 etc.)

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Do you use your other fingers to press the home button for the current iPhone? I use my thumb to press that button numerous times every day and don't find it awkward.

Yes, I use the iphone home button with my thumb all the time too. But what I'm saying is that when you press the home button with your thumb its usually from the side....bot from below. Will you have to have your thumb press the fingerprint sensor from below and not from the side? Cause that WOULD be awkward.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
To add to that, top notch security needs to be incorporated into this technology. Meaning, the sensor cannot be easily defeated by trickery and well known methods that work against so many other sensor devices.

I'm confident that the security experts and bad guys alike are going to go to work on this as soon as they can. If Apple hasn't made this bulletproof, they're going to have their biggest bomb in a long time.

I hope, for Apples sake and those who will use the new sensor, that this will be robust and successful.

And that's my concern also. Fingerprints as well as passwords ultimately end up as just a string of Os and 1s, and thus hackable. Unless some extremely nifty hack-proof technology is deployed, a brute force attack could unravel that false sense of security pretty rapidly.

Moreover, when this becomes more commonplace, it'll be the same fingerprint used for all secure sites one is going to access, whereas you could have different passwords for different sites. Iow, when your fingerprint authentication has been compromised, your entire digital life is vulnerable, rather than just the one unique password for a single site. Sobering thoughts.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012

4K on a phone is just a gimmick at the moment. If the iPhone 5S has more sophisticated tech, Dual LED and maybe even 60p/120p video, the decision is easy.

You´re right about the screen though. I hope that the iPhone 6 will at least have 720p, I hate these proprietary Apple resolutions.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So you are telling me that those are major updates? A major update would be a bigger screen, higher resolutions, NFC, etc..

Since when did better battery life become a major update, or adding color to a phone?

Yes new software and fingerprint technology would be a major update to me. How is higher resolution a major update? Maybe my eyesight is really bad but I can't discern individual pixels on my iPhone 5 so what is a higher resolution going to do for me?

Really the only thing we know about this phone is the display size and external design will be the same. So I'm not sure how you can claim something that hasn't been announced is just a "minor update".

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Yes new software and fingerprint technology would be a major update to me. How is higher resolution a major update? Maybe my eyesight is really bad but I can't discern individual pixels on my iPhone 5 so what is a higher resolution going to do for me?

Really the only thing we know about this phone is the display size and external design will be the same. So I'm not sure how you can claim something that hasn't been announced is just a "minor update".

Yikes, no wonder apple sells millions of small updated phones every year.

By the way, iOS 7, really isn't a major update. Been using it for 2 months now. Basically the same with a different color scheme.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
And that's my concern also. Fingerprints as well as passwords ultimately end up as just a string of Os and 1s, and thus hackable. Unless some extremely nifty hack-proof technology is deployed, a brute force attack could unravel that false sense of security pretty rapidly.

Moreover, when this becomes more commonplace, it'll be the same fingerprint used for all secure sites one is going to access, whereas you could have different passwords for different sites. Iow, when your fingerprint authentication has been compromised, your entire digital life is vulnerable, rather than just the one unique password for a single site. Sobering thoughts.

Very good thoughts and one thoughts that need contemplation in regards to one online security measures. For instance, I use LastPass in conjunction with a YubiKey one-time-password USB device for added security.

Should I choose to switch to fingerprint technology, once widely available, you're right, should it be compromised, I would be in a world of hurt.

There would, should, be a second factor of authentication to go with the fingerprint method.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
congrats, you bought your man purse accessory?

Oh I will but but see I don't have small hands, the Note 2 fits just right in my hands and my pocket. Mind you I'm only 5'9 and weigh 154 pounds. Today while riding the NYC trains I've noticed how many people have the Galaxy S 4.

Yes, complain all you want about folks thinking that a larger screen is going to make a phone no longer pocket-able of fit in ones hand. The "Mega" from Samsung to me is big but still I would even get that if it had better specs.

I barely use my phone to talk these days. It's like texting and picture sending and Instagram have taken over for me.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Oh so this will be new and exciting? Dude you haven't seen it yet. Definition of fanboy here.

So what if someone is a fan of what Apple does. Why is it a concern to you? Did someone piss in your coffee today?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Dual LED Flash.
Fingerprint Sensor.
Faster Processor.
Improved Battery Life.
New Colors.
iOS 7.
Improved Camera.

Let's Go!

The only thing I can't wait for is ios7. A fingerprint scanner is pretty much useless. The camera's already good enough and the processor's good enough too. This is definitely a skip for me. Maybe the 6 will have some awesome features.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yikes, no wonder apple sells millions of small updated phones every year.

By the way, iOS 7, really isn't a major update. Been using it for 2 months now. Basically the same with a different color scheme.

Well since there really wasn't anything wrong with iOS I see nothing wrong with it being the same.

So based on your criteria the Android phones that are pushing 5" now can no longer receive major updates. I mean once they go beyond 5" they're basically in phablet territory. Oh and a lot of them already have NFC and IR blaster so its just minor updates from now on I guess...using your criteria...

----------

The only thing I can't wait for is ios7. A fingerprint scanner is pretty much useless. The camera's already good enough and the processor's good enough too. This is definitely a skip for me. Maybe the 6 will have some awesome features.

Awesome features like?

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Yup, cases like the life proof or otter box won't allow the fingerprint sensor to work. Also, wearing gloves, say in the winter will prevent u from unlocking the phone. That'll b annoying!

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
So basically just a minor update. iOS 7 isn't anything ground breaking, new colors, welcome to the 21st century, faster processor is a given, improved camera, again should be a given.

SO basically this is a minor update with an amazing new finger print scanner, wow.

How about a bigger screen, NFC, infrared, etc....

It's still an update. Bigger screen? Coming next year. NFC? Probably next year too? Infrared? Idk...

The iPhone is already great. The features I listed are excellent improvements over an already good iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.