Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadav

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
This is incredible. I want to do this to one of my friends now, it is just brilliant. I can't wait to see the results.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
He could, that being one of a few things that could potentially go wrong with this plan
Maybe move the pictures into the a folder in the Library folder (so they're harder to find)? Then the OP could block Spotlight from accessing that folder.

Just suggestions, don't see much reason to implement them unless the OP's brother is deleting the pictures.

And is the flash just a blank Safari window?

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Maybe move the pictures into the a folder in the Library folder?

And is the flash just a blank Safari window?

That is a good idea! From this version forward, all the pics go into the user's PUBLIC folder. Here it is: http://localhostr.com/files/eecb65/...+alex+voice+plus+pics+go+in+public+folder.zip

Though I think the OP already has the trap set, so this won't help him...

EDIT: Oh and yes the flash is a blank safari window.

Thanks for the source. I'm a computer programmer, so it shouldn't be too hard to read your code without comments... unless you're a really sloppy coder. :D

Oh but I am a sloppy coder! But if you know how Applescript Studio works, then it won't be THAT hard.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Maybe move the pictures into the a folder in the Library folder?

I'd suggest the photos initially go to an obvious folder in the home folder, but that they also get copied to a folder he doesn't have access to - like the "drop box" in the "Public" folder. When he goes looking for photos after his personal photo session, he will find and delete the obvious ones - and think he is safe (and smart). If he doesn't find any photos he may get desperate and do something silly, like try to format the HD.

Update: Looks like Avihappy beat me to it....

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
That is a good idea! From this version forward, all the pics go into the user's PUBLIC folder. Here it is: http://localhostr.com/files/eecb65/...+alex+voice+plus+pics+go+in+public+folder.zip

Though I think the OP already has the trap set, so this won't help him...

Oh but I am a sloppy coder! But if you know how Applescript Studio works, then it won't be THAT hard.

I have never programmed using the iSight or brightness for the Mac. In your project in the Resources folder, you have isightcapture and brightness... where did you get these resources?

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I have never programmed using the iSight or brightness for the Mac. In your project in the Resources folder, you have isightcapture and brightness... where did you get these resources?

You can't access the camera nor can you change the brightness via applescript, so I used third party resources from here:

isightcapture: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18598
brightness: http://mattdanger.net/2008/12/adjust-mac-os-x-display-brightness-from-the-terminal/

These are not my own works but that of their respective authors. They are command line apps that I call via the "do script" functions in the script.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
You can't access the camera nor can you change the brightness via applescript, so I used third party resources from here:

isightcapture: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18598
brightness: http://mattdanger.net/2008/12/adjust-mac-os-x-display-brightness-from-the-terminal/

These are not my own works but that of their respective authors. They are command line apps that I call via the "do script" functions in the script.

Thanks again! I'm going to go prank myself.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'd suggest the photos initially go to an obvious folder in the home folder, but that they also get copied to a folder he doesn't have access to - like the "drop box" in the "Public" folder. When he goes looking for photos after his personal photo session, he will find and delete the obvious ones - and think he is safe (and smart). If he doesn't find any photos he may get desperate and do something silly, like try to format the HD.
That's a great idea! Maybe Home (not in subfolder), Documents, Pictures, or Desktop for the "obvious" photos. I would also suggest the desktop background is from the obvious photo, so when he deletes the obvious photos, the background reverts to the previous picture (I'm not sure if this is what Mac OS X does), and he thinks he's safe.

EDIT: Tested it out, background stays for some reason.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I would also suggest the desktop background is from the obvious photo, so (I'm not sure if this is what Mac OS X does) when he deletes the obvious photos, the background reverts, and he thinks he's safe.

The background picture will not change if you delete the source photo. You have to manually change it to something else.

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
That's a great idea! Maybe Home (not in subfolder), Documents, Pictures, or Desktop for the "obvious" photos. I would also suggest the desktop background is from the obvious photo, so when he deletes the obvious photos, the background reverts to the previous picture (I'm not sure if this is what Mac OS X does), and he thinks he's safe.

EDIT: Tested it out, background stays for some reason.

As the apps stands in its latest version (in post 82) it is saving to the ~/Public/ folder, with a filename like this: happyplace0.x where x is a random number. It is not an obvious place to look, and if the prankster excludes the public folder from spotlight, then the pics should be safe. Also, I don't think there is a need to have an obvious copy.

EDIT: oh now I see the need for an obvious copy!

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
This only works in Safari, yes? I tested it in FF and it didn't work.

No matter, I could just change the Safari icon to the FF icon if that's what the person I want to prank uses.

DerekHostalek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Illinois
Here is a version (same as the one in post 82), that now SAVES A DECOY COPY TO THE DESKTOP!

http://localhostr.com/files/22fb2f/...ice+savetopublicfolder+decoysenttodesktop.zip

This is now the latest one.

I'm not home right now, so i can't change it. but i did change the finder preferences so that it doesn't show the external hard drive. i assure you that he won't be able to find it... he's never owned a mac, and you'd have to use spotlight to open a finder window..

next time I'm home, i'll definitely install the latest though..

thanks for everyone's help and ideas...

this thing is going to be epic if all goes as planned.

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
tested it fully. works great in the dark

the app i had to allow was called "brightness" i believe.

this one has GOT to work haha

can't wait...

This is a bit of burning question I had. What do you have it set to say?

I'm not home right now, so i can't change it. but i did change the finder preferences so that it doesn't show the external hard drive. i assure you that he won't be able to find it... he's never owned a mac, and you'd have to use spotlight to open a finder window..

next time I'm home, i'll definitely install the latest though..

thanks for everyone's help and ideas...

this thing is going to be epic if all goes as planned.

My app only saves to the home folder. How are the pics getting onto the external drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.