Was I scammed? Iphone Iclone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slimg35, Mar 25, 2009.

1. slimg35 macrumors newbie

I am totally new to iphones and wanted to purchase one for mp3 abilities and GPS, I thought I was buying an Apple Iphone but the guy is saying he never said apple. Now I have been researching it and this Iclone is basically useless to me. It really seems like this advertising is illegal and I am wondering if I should pursue it through law enforcement. Also it looks like this phone is referred to as a CTEC Phone or "HiPhone" not an Iphone when sold on online websites. This seems like deception. I have never owned an Iphone so I didn't know it was a fake at time of purchase.

Here is what the ad looked like.

"
    iPhone -Unlocked -8 GB 1st Generation 2G/Edge
    -2 batteries
    -Works on any SIM card
    - Power cord and computer connection cord
    - Original box
    - Slightly used but works great!
    -Bluetooth Enabled
    -USB Interface
    -Color Screen
    -Touch Screen
    -Speakerphone
    -SMS-Text Messaging
    -Internet Browser
    -PDA-PC Sync
    -MP3 Player
    -Calendar
    -Polyphonic Ringtones
    -Email Access
    Unlocked- works with all SIM cards not just AT&T!!!

$275 or Best offer!
    Thanks = ]

"

What do you guys think?
    My idea is that he advertising this as a 2g/edge Iphone, it insinuates that is an apple Iphone. He also puts includes at&t there that would also insinuate that if the phone we're locked it would be used with AT&T. Also the camera on the phone does not work, and it does not have 8GB. It only has 1 MB of memory total. (I think it uses SD card and it's missing)

I have this guys Name, email address, and cell phone number and he is unwilling to return my money for this product.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well if the ad said:
    and you received a fake then you can report this person to the police etc.

However! The fact that it shipped with 2 batteries should have warned you off. :(
    The "real" iPhone has no user-changeable battery.

Good luck.

BTW, where did this happen? eBay? Craigslist?

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The ad says 8GB.

You have 1MB. It's a little off. I'd say you have a case.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That could be an indication :rolleyes:

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Future reference:

Buy from Apple and not these end-user scammers.

6. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have to admit I was definately not thinking in this situation, I think I was just excited to finally get an Iphone.

This happened on craigslist.org

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/1089050380.html

Should I try and contact like local sheriff department? Or would there be an "internet scam" department?

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

http://www.craigslist.org/about/terms.of.use

Section 7.j states that one cannot post anything that violates a copyright. Well selling a fake iPhone violates a copyright so you may have a case.

I do want to say though, strictly friendly, if you actually knew what an iPhone consisted of (non-removable battery, non-removable memory) then this could of easily been avoided. Next time it would be wise to research a product before purchasing it new or used. :)

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you not know what the real iPhone look like? Do you not do research before you buy something? Actually look at the real product in the Apple Store or apple.com?

Anyway, send him this link. Ask for your money back.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp6M5l0FmEg

By the way the knockoffs cost $50-$100 to buy in China; also, as you said, the knockoffs are pretty crappy and useless.

10. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

I could post some later tonight, of the actual phone im at work right now

11. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I already stated I really wasn't thinking when I purchased this paperweight.

I sent him a text letting him know he has til end of day today to make this right or I would be pursuing this through the authorities.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You bought it eh?

Ouch ... but ya, post some pics when you get home. Include all the accessories you got with it, too (both batteries, etc.).

13. gibbz macrumors 68030

Well like you said, contact the authorities and alert craigslist: abuse AT craigslist DOT org

14. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did alert craigslist of this already,

As far as the phone, I noticed since I took a good look at it that one, the volume is on the top, there is no port for head phones, and it doesn't have the same hookup as an Ipod, its a usb type plug

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I really want to see this phone! Please post pics... (after work of course) :D

P.S. I hope you get a refund and next time patience Jedi :p

16. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your positive words, I am trying to just let this pass me by instead of being upset.

I will definately post up pix tonight, but I wont be home til about midnight :p

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Is it this?

[​IMG]

18. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

I beleive so, hard to say but it looks very simliar

but the sounds button is on the top and on the botton theres a small usb plug

19. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

That picture posted above is very fat... hmm.... my iphone is not even that fat lol

20. actorkid macrumors 6502

I'm sorry this happened OP...but just an FYI

one of the reasons you wanted to purchase an iPhone was for GPS....the iPhone 2G that you (almost) bought wouldn't support GPS fucntions....so when you get this whole dilemma sorted out...make sure that you purchase the iPhone 3G, as it has all of the features that you're looking for.

Hope everything gets worked out!

21. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

I held it up to a friend at works, its about 1.5cm wider I beleive then his Iphone 2g.

22. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Didnt you see the phone beforeyou paid>

23. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to further research that, but if anything I can always use google maps, however I may be getting a garmin traded for my xbox360, so that would solve that as well....

but yea, now that I think about it I definately spoofed this up

24. dubels macrumors 6502

Did you meet in person? Try to get as much information as possible and forward it to the local pd. It is best to get them involved now and it would awesome if your local pd can forward you to a regional authority that deals with this issue.

25. slimg35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but I didn't know what I was looking for to see if it was fake, It had an apple logo when it booted up, the screen worked, so? It was half my fault for not educating myself on the product first.

Yea, i went ahead and made a complaint on this online website for IC3 that craigslist directed me to. I told the guy I'd give him til the end of day today so I will at least uphold that (plus im at work today) Tomorrow I have the day off so I can visit Local PD in person if necessary, Ill give a call first to see what the process is. I printed out a page of the craigslist ad as well as saved a soft copy on my computer at home.