Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoronaOrange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
1 have more than 1 TB of iTunes Movies/Series and would like to watch them locally on my Apple TV, without streaming them from Apple every time, so not requiring an active internet connection.

I have an iPhone (64 GB) and a Windows 10 Laptop with iTunes (100 GB) as well as an external drive (2 TB)

What is the best way to watch those iTunes movies/series on my Apple TV (4K)?

• Install iTunes on my external drive, download them all, stream them via Laptop iTunes to my Apple TV?
  • Would it be also possible to stream them from a external drive, that is connected to an iPhone/iPad for example?

Recommendations are welcome

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Yes, I am using this myself.
Using iTunes is one way (my preference incidentally). Getting 4K and HDR content to play requires more work as you will need to re-encode into AVC/HEVC to make it iTunes compatible (google encodes them into VP9). But at the end I have them all in my library, tagged with metadata and can play back in 4K resolution and in HDR10 or HLG (what the original was coded in).
Option 2 would require playback app (like Infuse) that can connect to local network drive. You can not connect a drive directly to iOS.
I do not know about possible support for VP9 or VP9.2 codec in such apps, that would allow you to enjoy them without recoding.

Reactions: CoronaOrange
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.