Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
It took me one time to stop doing this; at this point, you are just being stubborn.

Nope I still phantom tap the twitter app sometimes that had been on my Home Screen at the same position for 10 years even though I deleted the app last year. Habits die hard.

Also I hardly interact with my Apple Watch since I basically use it to tell time so the few times I need to engage with the UI, I am still used to the old way like going to the cinema „oh let’s put it in theater mode. DAMN IT wrong gesture“. It usually goes swipe > nope > press on crown > nope > press on button AAH

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Yay! Now let me put the dock back on the button and control center on swipe-up and let me turn the crown for Siri as God intended.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Watch OS is worse in a bunch of ways. The fitness summary now requires scrolling through 6 tabs to get what was smoothly visible on one previously. The control center being moved to a button - what a waste. The only improvement was the weather app. My watch now shows songs and playlists on my iPhone even when off wifi and running 5 miles away....no way I can play them just show me what I downloaded to the watch! Just absurd stuff.
Yes, very much absurd, especially the fitness summary. Instead of sticking with information rich and data dense, they went with information poor and data minimalism.

I have issues with podcasts too on the Watch. Instead of playing downloaded podcasts sometimes, the Watch might play podcasts from the phone even when I select episodes specifically in the Download section.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
How about also adding ability to pin your favourite workouts? Why it seems to randomise them all for years confuses me. Yes totally off topic :)
Do you do a lot of different exercises often? I tend to do the same 3 activities every time and they have bubbled up to populate the top 3 spots in Workouts without me pinning anything. I assumed it learned my habits and now offers me those each time.

Sure, they sometimes switch order but it always is the same 3.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Glad its an option instead of going back to being the default, because I got really sick of my watch face changing when my watch brushed up against something. There were way too many times where I’d look at my watch and see a face that was NOT the one I had originally set. I know I’m in the minority here, but I much prefer the way it is now. (Granted, I don’t change my faces often enough to justify WANTING to be able to just swipe through them. Being able to do it that way was more an annoyance than anything else).

Reactions: rehkram

rbbloom99

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023

The third watchOS 10.2 beta that Apple released this week reintroduces an Apple Watch feature for swapping watch faces that was initially removed with the upgrade to watchOS 10.

apple-watch-ultra-blue.jpg

Users can now choose to use a swipe gesture to switch the active Apple Watch face by enabling the option in the Apple Watch Settings app. With the feature turned on, swiping left or right on the watch face scrolls through the available watch faces that have been set up.

Switching watch faces with a swipe gesture was the default in watchOS 9, but Apple updated the interaction because of complaints that it was too easy to accidentally change watch faces. The current gesture requires long pressing before swiping to change the active watch face.

With watchOS 10.2, Apple Watch owners who preferred the prior method of changing their watch faces can choose to enable the setting if desired. The option is under Settings > Clock in the third beta.

watchOS 10.2 is available to both developers and public beta testers at this time, and it is expected to see a public launch in December.

Article Link: watchOS 10.2 Beta Reintroduces Option to Change Apple Watch Faces With a Swipe
This is SO welcome. I often switch between watch faces in the middle of the night to control various gadgets (like my thermostat). The 'swipe to switch' was so convenient but I hated the new 'hold, wait, swipe, switch' procedure. I did send Apple feedback the first day IOS10 came out expressing my displeasure.

Update: I just installed 10.2 beta 3 - Enabling the feature isn't exactly straightforward. You have to update the Watch to the latest beta, and you cannot switch this option on from your iPhone. You have to open Settings on the Watch itself, scroll down to Clock, and turn on "Swipe to Switch Watch Face."

Reactions: jambon and snash22

snash22

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2023
This is SO welcome. I often switch between watch faces in the middle of the night to control various gadgets (like my thermostat). The 'swipe to switch' was so convenient but I hated the new 'hold, wait, swipe, switch' procedure. I did send Apple feedback the first day IOS10 came out expressing my displeasure.

Update: I just installed 10.2 beta 3 - Enabling the feature isn't exactly straightforward. You have to update the Watch to the latest beta, and you cannot switch this option on from your iPhone. You have to open Settings on the Watch itself, scroll down to Clock, and turn on "Swipe to Switch Watch Face."
Thanks!

Fleetboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
A step in the right direction - giving us options.
Now give us back the Dock, and the option to activate it via the side button.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
I am so pleased that Apple actually listened to users. I gave my feedback when testing the first beta but didn’t expect anything to change. Thank you Apple.

Reactions: Starfia

Dormammu

macrumors 65816

The third watchOS 10.2 beta that Apple released this week reintroduces an Apple Watch feature for swapping watch faces that was initially removed with the upgrade to watchOS 10.

apple-watch-ultra-blue.jpg

Users can now choose to use a swipe gesture to switch the active Apple Watch face by enabling the option in the Apple Watch Settings app. With the feature turned on, swiping left or right on the watch face scrolls through the available watch faces that have been set up.

Switching watch faces with a swipe gesture was the default in watchOS 9, but Apple updated the interaction because of complaints that it was too easy to accidentally change watch faces. The current gesture requires long pressing before swiping to change the active watch face.

With watchOS 10.2, Apple Watch owners who preferred the prior method of changing their watch faces can choose to enable the setting if desired. The option is under Settings > Clock in the third beta.

watchOS 10.2 is available to both developers and public beta testers at this time, and it is expected to see a public launch in December.

Article Link: watchOS 10.2 Beta Reintroduces Option to Change Apple Watch Faces With a Swipe
Ever getting rid of it was stupid.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
If this reintroduction stays, maybe people on MR will be able to get on with their lives. lol
But there’s truth in your humor. Many of us allowed the AW to become an integral part of our lives and chose to use different faces in those workflows. This “minor” change felt very disruptive to us.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
I didn't mind the long press. Swipe is better tho. Now if they could just fix the bug where the screen dims too much in dark spaces. Or at lease let you adjust how dim it is with the crown.

Reactions: Awboxster

lanomds1

macrumors member
May 19, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
I just feel like watchOS 10 made changes nobody asked for and now they will slowly give us back. I mean, the true black backgrounds for the apps looked way better on the display. Now the apps are too colorful and battery consumption obviously is higher.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
While I did accidentally change faces a few times, I still liked the option to change them by swiping. Glad it's coming back. Without it, I tend to just use one face all the time, so my watch is more boring.

thenibster

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
How about they let give us our side button back. Why they moved control center (something I don’t even use) to the side button and removing the ability to have a favorites dock is beyond me. Feels like this years OS’s updates have been worse.
The favourites dock still exists. Now you access it by double pressing the Digital Crown. Once you get use to it, it works great.

Reactions: dootskyre

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
The watchOS changes Apple made this year should all have been options added to the OS, not defaults that users are unable to change. Unchangeable defaults such as what changed this year are user-hostile and frankly, insulting.
Not sure why I’m being downvoted here. Options means you can have it either way. Seems like a win-win to me.

:rolleyes:

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Nope I still phantom tap the twitter app sometimes that had been on my Home Screen at the same position for 10 years even though I deleted the app last year. Habits die hard.

Also I hardly interact with my Apple Watch since I basically use it to tell time so the few times I need to engage with the UI, I am still used to the old way like going to the cinema „oh let’s put it in theater mode. DAMN IT wrong gesture“. It usually goes swipe > nope > press on crown > nope > press on button AAH
This isn't necessarily directed at you, but a lot of people would benefit from reading about the beginner’s mind. Here is a good place to start https://zenhabits.net/beginner/.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I didn't mind the long press. Swipe is better tho. Now if they could just fix the bug where the screen dims too much in dark spaces. Or at lease let you adjust how dim it is with the crown.
I don't believe that is a bug but instead a feature of the ambient light sensor. We cant adjust it because Apple doesn't trust us and thinks too many will complain about battery issues if we can disable this awful feature. It really does makes a face difficult to read in the dark.

Reactions: Awboxster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.