Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
One thing I wanted to chime in on and it's annoying because I think it's completely intentional but when I had first tried android wear with my iPhone the first thing I noticed was all of then 3rd party branded custom watch faces you could use. There were so many watch faces.

Why is it so difficult to add even more custom watch faces?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
One thing I wanted to chime in on and it's annoying because I think it's completely intentional but when I had first tried android wear with my iPhone the first thing I noticed was all of then 3rd party branded custom watch faces you could use. There were so many watch faces.

Why is it so difficult to add even more custom watch faces?

It's not difficult, Apple just haven't provided a way to do it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Really dude? Did you have some sort of problem getting through to tech support? LOL....f.
Calling Apple technical support to ask when a product or service is going to be released is extremely obtuse and wasteful of resources. Especially considering they are not even marketing related and have no access to this information. Never have had it and likely never will. Even if they did (which they don't) they are not going to 'surreptitiously' reveal it to you over the phone so you can go and post it on he internet.

Last edited:

Ephram

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2016
Espoo, Finland
Okay, I liked my AW before, but now I truly love this device! This is really, really amazing update.

Dock, activity watch faces, snappiness (timer via siri was almost instant). There is lot to like. And much more information on screen during exercise than before!

I am truly grateful for Apple, they did not forget the first buyers.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
So far so good for the most part with the update. I hesitate to comment much on battery life for devices in the first day or say after getting them or after a major update, but so far I'm seeing significantly more battery drain. I have always gone 24 hours in the past with usually 20-30% battery left when I put it on the charger. After the update I was down to 20% in less than 18 hours. It would not have made it 24 hours.

Otherwise, while the UI is generally greatly improved, I'm not impressed with the swipe to change watch faces. First, changing faces was not difficult before (and they still kept that method), and second, is changing faces something that deserves such an easily accessed gesture? I don't do it more than a couple times per week, max. I would far preferred for that gesture to do something more useful - for example - keep the button press to access apps pinned to the docks, but use the swipe gesture to switch between recently used apps. This would be far more useful, IMO, and much more consistent with gestures on all other Apple devices. Instead we got two of the major ways of interacting with the watch face dedicated to changing which face we look at. Not a good use of limited UI resources, IMO.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Watch OS 3 is pretty amazing. Makes you wonder why they didn't push it to its limits the first go around, but I guess thats the point of new software, improving performance on existing product. I'm very pleased.

Things I noticed, during workouts, I'm not sure if it's possible to screenshot current stats anymore...a press of both buttons pauses the workout.

Still no way to mass delete all texts in inbox? Sometimes I forget everything is replicated on my wrists so I'm sure one day I'll get an "Apple Watch low on space message" haha.

Still, very impressed overall. A few minor things, but I think the pros outweigh the cons here. Kudos Apple.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Watch OS 3 is pretty amazing. Makes you wonder why they didn't push it to its limits the first go around, but I guess thats the point of new software, improving performance on existing product. I'm very pleased.

Things I noticed, during workouts, I'm not sure if it's possible to screenshot current stats anymore...a press of both buttons pauses the workout.

Still no way to mass delete all texts in inbox? Sometimes I forget everything is replicated on my wrists so I'm sure one day I'll get an "Apple Watch low on space message" haha.

Still, very impressed overall. A few minor things, but I think the pros outweigh the cons here. Kudos Apple.

Was hoping mass delete text messages might've been implemented in OS3 but hopefully it'll feature in a future update.

And the fact I can unlock my Mac Mini with my Watch is pretty cool too.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Seeing massive battery drain on watchOS 3
how many apps do you guys keep in the dock ?
Do you see a much bigger battery drain because of apps in the dock ?

Or did you have to un-pair and re-pair the watch for better battery with watchOS 3 ?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Im loving the new OS. Just one complaint, i cant check the weather for the whole week as it was on watchOS2? Using the crown it just scrolls through different places. Is there a way to see the weather other than the current day?

Edit: found the solution, you just tap in the middle and you see the whole week lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: douglasf13

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Im loving the new OS. Just one complaint, i cant check the weather for the whole week as it was on watchOS2? Using the crown it just scrolls through different places. Is there a way to see the weather other than the current day?

This. Also, how do I look at the temperatures throughout the day, rather than only current temp?

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Quick question. I know spotify does work with the watch itself but does apple music works? I dont have a big list of purchased songs since I stream. But does apple music let you save a playlist for offline use and can you listen to it on the watch?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Quick question. I know spotify does work with the watch itself but does apple music works? I dont have a big list of purchased songs since I stream. But does apple music let you save a playlist for offline use and can you listen to it on the watch?

Yes, for one playlist and no more than 250 songs.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or just had higher expectations. So upgraded to OS3....

1) Apps load no faster - Even while docked and compatible with 3.. Sometimes when invoking them, from the dock, they will time out before my screen goes black.
2) my complications are showing up in the complications list on my phone, but when I try to add them to the watch face they are not available to select. Do they need to be specifically updated for OS3?
3) Increased UI lag and jitter. I felt my OS2 was a smoother experience navigating. Takes about 3-4 secs to load scribble in messages as the UI seems to be frozen.

I'm thinking of doing a fresh install tomorrow if things don't improve.

Reactions: NevilleB

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
So far so good for the most part with the update. I hesitate to comment much on battery life for devices in the first day or say after getting them or after a major update, but so far I'm seeing significantly more battery drain. I have always gone 24 hours in the past with usually 20-30% battery left when I put it on the charger. After the update I was down to 20% in less than 18 hours. It would not have made it 24 hours.

I'm having this problem also. Is there anything that can be done about it?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I'm not impressed with the swipe to change watch faces. First, changing faces was not difficult before (and they still kept that method), and second, is changing faces something that deserves such an easily accessed gesture? I don't do it more than a couple times per week, max. I would far preferred for that gesture to do something more useful

I think you greatly misunderstand this function. This is a watch and even though we have Dock the watch face is still a main platform to launch things (apps & widgets). It was designed for you to easily change faces because one faces doesn't fit for all situations. For example when you're working you might want a certain set of Complications but when you're at home you may want another. Even generally at home and at kitchen for cooking demands a different kind of set. Wouldn't it be nice if we can configure faces separately for all these situations and easily swipe between them? Like when you finish work and swipe for "Subway" face then "Home" face when at home? Apple and most users say YES, THANK YOU.

Reactions: Four oF NINE

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think you greatly misunderstand this function. This is a watch and even though we have Dock the watch face is still a main platform to launch things (apps & widgets). It was designed for you to easily change faces because one faces doesn't fit for all situations. For example when you're working you might want a certain set of Complications but when you're at home you may want another. Even generally at home and at kitchen for cooking demands a different kind of set. Wouldn't it be nice if we can configure faces separately for all these situations and easily swipe between them? Like when you finish work and swipe for "Subway" face then "Home" face when at home? Apple and most users say YES, THANK YOU.

I dunno. The only face I have ever had any interest in is having a less obtrusive one for use in the dark. I can't see myself setting up different faces that I'm constantly switching through. And even if you do that are you really changing more than once or twice a day? In that case the force touch shortcut is more than adequate. I maintain that assigning switching watch faces to one of the most accessible shortcuts on the device, when another easily accessible shortcut also exists to perform the same function, is poor design. This gesture should remain consistent with the same gesture on all other Mac and iOS platforms - app switching between recent apps. (Further, with even more easily accessible apps, who needs complications to launch an app? Complications are best when they show me bits of data I only rarely need to dig deeper into. They don't make much sense as an app launcher).

Last edited:

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
I agree with others. WatchOS 3 is much faster on my original Apple Watch. Usability drastically improved. If Series 2 didn't have a GPS I would have thought twice about upgrading, but really want that GPS.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

Otherwise, while the UI is generally greatly improved, I'm not impressed with the swipe to change watch faces. First, changing faces was not difficult before (and they still kept that method), and second, is changing faces something that deserves such an easily accessed gesture? I don't do it more than a couple times per week, max. I would far preferred for that gesture to do something more useful - for example - keep the button press to access apps pinned to the docks, but use the swipe gesture to switch between recently used apps. This would be far more useful, IMO, and much more consistent with gestures on all other Apple devices. Instead we got two of the major ways of interacting with the watch face dedicated to changing which face we look at. Not a good use of limited UI resources, IMO.

I 100% agree with you! The swipe right gesture would have been so much better to switch between apps. Hope we'll see it in the future.
This scenario always bothers me: I'm running, have the activity app open then quickly want to go to currently playing music. The moment I have to start pushing buttons it does distract me too much from looking at the road. Especially since the two times press of the crown doesn't work reliably for me to switch between the music and the running app, even though I accessed them a number of times back and forth via the dock. Instead it sometimes just takes me to a random 3rd app next to the activity app.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Calling Apple technical support to ask when a product or service is going to be released is extremely obtuse and wasteful of resources. Especially considering they are not even marketing related and have no access to this information. Never have had it and likely never will. Even if they did (which they don't) they are not going to 'surreptitiously' reveal it to you over the phone so you can go and post it on he internet.

Dude.. Just take a Midol and call it a day. Lie down, you'll feel better

Reactions: rawCpoppa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.