watchOS 4 - Beta 1

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jas07, Jun 5, 2017.

1. jas07, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

jas07 macrumors regular

jas07

How are people that have been brave enough finding it? I know obviously its a beta so don't expect things to be polished, but is it soul destroying to use (watchOS 2 - I'm looking at you here) or not too bad on first impressions?

Update: Not bad at all on my S2, in fact I’d go as far as to say it’s a bit quicker, very happy for a beta 1

2. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

No update yet for me. Still says that 3.2.3 is latest software on my Watch.

3. BadMelonFarmer macrumors 6502

BadMelonFarmer

You need to install the developer profile specifically for watch OS 4

4. aaplwatch macrumors member

Can’t figure out how to get the HIIT to work.

Shouldn’t you be able to set interval work and recovery times?

5. cschmelz macrumors 6502

I downloaded and redownloaded the apple watch profile DIRECTLY from the developers site (Watch 4.0 beta profile) and it still won't let me download WatchOS 4 beta 1. Must you be running iOS 11 b1 to flash to Watch 4?

6. SDColorado macrumors 68000

SDColorado

I am in the process up updating to WatchOS 4 Developer beta, but it is currently telling me "About 5 days remaining" Umm.. I hope not hahaha

7. bthompson macrumors regular

I’m running it. Working very well. Not perfect but for sure usable. Some very new features here and the dock is totally redone.

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

You probably do need iOS 11. But you also need to download the developer certificate to the phone AND the watch.

9. 0014 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone got the Toy Story Faces? I’m on an Original Space Black Stainless Steel Watch (bought it when the Watch first launched) so wondering if anyone with a S1 or S2 has them?

10. 0014 macrumors 6502a

Yes you must be running iOS 11 for WatchOS 4 to show.

11. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

No Toy Story watch faces showing up in Beta 1 and I do not expect them to until the final release version.

12. roncito macrumors 6502a

roncito

So can we run this on a daily driver? I know it’s beta but we had a few beta releases where the watch was totally unusable.

13. dallison13 macrumors regular

I'm running it and so far it lags a little but after about 6 hours, it's not bad. I tried the multipart mode which was nice (kicks in after a minute) and am using the Siri face, but haven't tried much else. Nice to have an extra screen on workouts to control music

14. csurfr macrumors 68000

Let me know how that works out for you... I’m running 11 on my iPhone but am always a little hesitant on the watch since you have to send it in to Apple to get downgraded.

15. SDColorado macrumors 68000

SDColorado

Finally says “installing.” It didn’t take the originally estimated “5 days,” but it sure wasn’t fast :)

16. ravipiero macrumors regular

Can I use watch OS 3 with iOS 11? I'm tempted to upgrade my iPhone to try ios 11, but I don't want to update my Apple Watch because its not possible to downgrade.

17. lucco78 macrumors member

18. jdmagoo1 macrumors regular

19. Vader2 macrumors member

20. richardtekel macrumors newbie

richardtekel

Seems there's no changes with exporting functionality in Workouts app.

21. WilliamTM macrumors member

WilliamTM

Yup - installed it on mine and it seems to be working pretty well.

I only installed it for the Toy Story faces (yeah yeah I know, it's a beta, blah blah blah, I can cope with any slowness/crashing/etc), so a bit disappointed to see they're not there yet. :p

From using it with just notifications/etc and the timer app (I very rarely use any other apps on it), it seems about the same laggyness as watchOS 3 was. Certainly nowhere near as bad as the watchOS 2 beta was! :eek:

22. dcell macrumors member

are the SOS functions still mandatory in WatchOS 4 ? I really wish they make it optional (as in can be turned off). I know you can turn off the "hold the powerbutton to make a sos call" but i also want to have the slider gone.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I am sure it will be a while before series 0 is killed off simply because the edition was $10k+

24. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

download time for this thing is absolutely ridiculous, if this were a couple albums in the Music app this would've been done by now
    but nope we've just started

and the 10 minutes I had on my super fast connection at the 2nd house it told me I needed a Wi-Fi connection, which I did :rolleyes:

25. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I'm dying to do this as my Dexcom glucose sensor will be able to communicate directly with Apple Watch instead of using iPhone as a pass through, but there is no guarantee that it would work at this point correct?