Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jas07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
How are people that have been brave enough finding it? I know obviously its a beta so don't expect things to be polished, but is it soul destroying to use (watchOS 2 - I'm looking at you here) or not too bad on first impressions?

Update: Not bad at all on my S2, in fact I’d go as far as to say it’s a bit quicker, very happy for a beta 1

Last edited:

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
You need to install the developer profile specifically for watch OS 4

I downloaded and redownloaded the apple watch profile DIRECTLY from the developers site (Watch 4.0 beta profile) and it still won't let me download WatchOS 4 beta 1. Must you be running iOS 11 b1 to flash to Watch 4?

Reactions: ZebraDude

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I’m running it. Working very well. Not perfect but for sure usable. Some very new features here and the dock is totally redone.

Reactions: richardtekel

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I downloaded and redownloaded the apple watch profile DIRECTLY from the developers site (Watch 4.0 beta profile) and it still won't let me download WatchOS 4 beta 1. Must you be running iOS 11 b1 to flash to Watch 4?

You probably do need iOS 11. But you also need to download the developer certificate to the phone AND the watch.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Has anyone got the Toy Story Faces? I’m on an Original Space Black Stainless Steel Watch (bought it when the Watch first launched) so wondering if anyone with a S1 or S2 has them?

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East

Yes you must be running iOS 11 for WatchOS 4 to show.

Reactions: cschmelz

igrover

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
No Toy Story watch faces showing up in Beta 1 and I do not expect them to until the final release version.

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
So can we run this on a daily driver? I know it’s beta but we had a few beta releases where the watch was totally unusable.

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I'm running it and so far it lags a little but after about 6 hours, it's not bad. I tried the multipart mode which was nice (kicks in after a minute) and am using the Siri face, but haven't tried much else. Nice to have an extra screen on workouts to control music

Reactions: SDColorado

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I am in the process up updating to WatchOS 4 Developer beta, but it is currently telling me "About 5 days remaining" Umm.. I hope not hahaha

Let me know how that works out for you... I’m running 11 on my iPhone but am always a little hesitant on the watch since you have to send it in to Apple to get downgraded.

Reactions: hig561

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Let me know how that works out for you... I’m running 11 on my iPhone but am always a little hesitant on the watch since you have to send it in to Apple to get downgraded.

Finally says “installing.” It didn’t take the originally estimated “5 days,” but it sure wasn’t fast :)

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Can I use watch OS 3 with iOS 11? I'm tempted to upgrade my iPhone to try ios 11, but I don't want to update my Apple Watch because its not possible to downgrade.

WilliamTM

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Stafford, UK
Is WatchOS4 compatible with S0 watches?
Yup - installed it on mine and it seems to be working pretty well.

I only installed it for the Toy Story faces (yeah yeah I know, it's a beta, blah blah blah, I can cope with any slowness/crashing/etc), so a bit disappointed to see they're not there yet. :p

From using it with just notifications/etc and the timer app (I very rarely use any other apps on it), it seems about the same laggyness as watchOS 3 was. Certainly nowhere near as bad as the watchOS 2 beta was! :eek:

Reactions: Tuppe

dcell

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
are the SOS functions still mandatory in WatchOS 4 ? I really wish they make it optional (as in can be turned off). I know you can turn off the "hold the powerbutton to make a sos call" but i also want to have the slider gone.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
download time for this thing is absolutely ridiculous, if this were a couple albums in the Music app this would've been done by now
but nope we've just started

and the 10 minutes I had on my super fast connection at the 2nd house it told me I needed a Wi-Fi connection, which I did :rolleyes:

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I'm dying to do this as my Dexcom glucose sensor will be able to communicate directly with Apple Watch instead of using iPhone as a pass through, but there is no guarantee that it would work at this point correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.