Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
Doesn't excuse the fact that Apple made it easy.

Between the two evils, leaking private nude pictures vs health info, the former is more career and social damaging that can lead to health issues.

Phishing is possible cuz people are stupid. Not cuz companies’ security practices are lax.

You clearly don’t have a clue how these things work.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I wonder why can I buy this in the UK:

https://www.pmsinstruments.co.uk/ac...cCuOxrMff_zmveFErzddh-d5xoC_qEQAvD_BwE#SID=64

and other such kits, but Apple can't make the ECG app available in the UK immediately it's available anywhere else?

It's a fair question. AliveCor has approvals in approximately 3000 jurisdictions in various parts of the galaxy. Apple should be able to follow up pretty quickly, with their organization behind its important health initiative.

And yeah, 3000 is an exaggeration, but their list is quite impressive, and I am not an AliveCor fanboy.

theothermacGuy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2015
I am pissed that this will not work with my Series 3!! I could really use this app. Apple has a way to make me spend money. I might be stubborn and not buy a Series 4 until refurbs come along.

Not sure if this will help you or not, but I use Kardia band .. used it on my series 2 and 3 watch with no issues.. good for a quick reading if you need it and dont want to spend the money on a 4 watch

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Not sure if this will help you or not, but I use Kardia band .. used it on my series 2 and 3 watch with no issues.. good for a quick reading if you need it and dont want to spend the money on a 4 watch

Have you had any issues with skin irritation using the KardiaBand? I had skin irritation with it, which I've never had with the Apple bands (but I only wear the perforated Nike bands, so the difference in ventilation might be the reason).

I was also put off by the fees. Assuming Apple delivers the ECG function, it's free (if you have the S4 hardware).

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Phishing is possible cuz people are stupid. Not cuz companies’ security practices are lax.

Phishing is possible because systems are stupid. The fact that Apple allowed brute forcing, passing phishing emails through icloud.com and phising web sites through Safari unfiltered, no account change notification, etc. is a fail when other companies don't.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Phishing is possible because systems are stupid. The fact that Apple allowed brute forcing, passing phishing emails through icloud.com and phising web sites through Safari unfiltered, no account change notification, etc. is a fail when other companies don't.

1. The photos in the collection were reported to show celebrities with android phones in the mirror as well. The photos came from several different services.

2. It's a non issue here anyway. By default, Health data is not synced to iCloud. A user has to turn on "Health" in iCloud sync, otherwise the data remains encrypted on the device.

"You decide which information is placed in Health and which apps can access your data through the Health app. When your phone is locked with a passcode, Touch ID, or Face ID, all of your health and fitness data in the Health app — other than your Medical ID — is encrypted."

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
If not released by June 2019 then they might as well say it’s for Apple Watch 5 only.

To be honest this should have been available right when the Apple Watch 4 became available.

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
Why would you be pissed? It wasn't a function when you purchased it, and it wasn't promised by apple...
Save your money. The exact same technology is available in two AliveCor products.

KardiaMobile $99 works with your phone usng Bluetooth (picked up AFib a year ago for me)
https://www.amazon.com/Alivecor®-KardiaMobile-Wireless-Detection-Smartphones/dp/B01A4W8AUK

Kardia Band $99 (was $199 a year ago) does same thing on a custom Apple Watch Band. Exactly same thing.
https://www.amazon.com/Alivecor®-KardiaBand-Wearable-Wristband-30-Second/dp/B01N1I34W5

Both have been out for a few years.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Save your money. The exact same technology is available in two AliveCor products.

KardiaMobile $99 works with your phone usng Bluetooth (picked up AFib a year ago for me)
https://www.amazon.com/Alivecor®-KardiaMobile-Wireless-Detection-Smartphones/dp/B01A4W8AUK

Kardia Band $99 (was $199 a year ago) does same thing on a custom Apple Watch Band. Exactly same thing.
https://www.amazon.com/Alivecor®-KardiaBand-Wearable-Wristband-30-Second/dp/B01N1I34W5

Both have been out for a few years.
Premium subscription required.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
For those suggesting people will not be able to interrupt the ECG, trust me, if you are a heart patient you can learn. I am a heart patient and have been using the AliveCor device (KardiaCare now) since it came out. I can now see what those strange palpitations I experience look like and have learned which type are generally not an issue and which type I need to discuss with my medical team. Looking forward to the new feature on my S-4.

I think the opportunities for additional research on heart issues will be greatly enhanced with this feature.

I might need to invest in KardiaCare to see my palpitations. Mine act up more when I’m pregnant or under a lot of stress like I am now.

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
The service is optional. You can do ECG's all day long like the Apple Watch.

The biggest predictor for AFib is an elevated heart rate when you are at rest.
Since iOS 11 Apple has you covered.

Open the "My Watch" app and then select Heart
(Heart Health opens).

Set a "High Heart Beat" (100 - 150 bpm). The caption from Apple below the toggle says

Receive a notification when Apple Watch detects a heart rate that rises above 100/110/../150 bpm while you appear to have been inactive for 10 minutes.

There is also a Low Heart Beat settings.

Here is a pre Apple Watch 4 article celebrating the "new" iOS 11 Heart Health capability:
Forbes Sep 2017
The One Thing Nobody Has Told You About Apple Watch Series 3

Apparently, many Watch users have let Apple know that they sometimes find they have an elevated heart rate when they didn’t expect it, when they weren’t active. Sometimes this is down to people experiencing panic attacks and sometimes tachycardia, a condition which can cause a racing heart rate when they’re not being active. This may not be a serious issue, but for sure it’s good for your doctor to know about it. Now users can set a threshold between 100 and 150 beats per minute – the default is 120bpm. And here’s the clever thing, the Watch will only notify you if you hit this threshold after you’ve been inactive for 10 minutes.

meltex24

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018

ECG functionality will be enabled on the Apple Watch Series 4 in the publicly released version of watchOS 5.1.2, which is currently in beta testing, according to an internal Apple Store training document obtained by MacRumors.

iphone-apple-watch-ecg.jpg

watchOS 5.1.2 will feature an Apple-designed ECG app that can indicate whether your heart rhythm shows signs of atrial fibrillation, a serious form of irregular heart rhythm, or a normal sinus rhythm. Apple Watch Series 4 is capable of generating an ECG similar to a single-lead electrocardiogram, according to the FDA.

ECG and other heart data is collected in the Health app on a paired iPhone. Apple's document lists a minimum requirement of an iPhone 5s or later running iOS 12.1.1, currently in beta testing, or later.

To take an ECG reading from the Apple Watch, users will need to place a finger on the Digital Crown while wearing the watch. The reading is completed in 30 seconds, allowing users to determine whether their hearts are beating in a regular pattern or if there are signs of atrial fibrillation.

Apple's training document states that the ECG app is regulated and only available in regions cleared for use. The app will initially be limited to the United States, where Apple has received FDA clearance, but Apple Watch Series 4 models sold worldwide include the electrical heart sensor for future expansion.

Apple Store employees are instructed to advise customers that the ECG app is "not intended to be a diagnostic device or to replace traditional methods of diagnosis," and "should not be used to monitor or track disease state or change medication without first talking to a doctor," according to Apple's document.

Apple promised that the ECG app will be available later this year, but it's unclear when watchOS 5.1.2 and iOS 12.1.1 will be released. watchOS 5.1.2 has been in beta testing since November 7, while iOS 12.1.1 has been in beta testing since October 31, so both software updates should be released relatively soon.

A separate Apple training document obtained by MacRumors suggests that irregular heart rhythm notifications will also be enabled in watchOS 5.1.2 on Apple Watch Series 1 through Apple Watch Series 4 models.

The ECG app will not be available on previous-generation Apple Watch models, including the original through Series 3.

Article Link: watchOS 5.1.2 Will Enable ECG App on Apple Watch Series 4
[doublepost=1543457999][/doublepost]The responses to this article are quite entertaining. I just purchased my series 4. Waiting on pins and needle for the ECG feature to pushed so I can start whining to my doctor.
[doublepost=1543458061][/doublepost]

ECG functionality will be enabled on the Apple Watch Series 4 in the publicly released version of watchOS 5.1.2, which is currently in beta testing, according to an internal Apple Store training document obtained by MacRumors.

iphone-apple-watch-ecg.jpg

watchOS 5.1.2 will feature an Apple-designed ECG app that can indicate whether your heart rhythm shows signs of atrial fibrillation, a serious form of irregular heart rhythm, or a normal sinus rhythm. Apple Watch Series 4 is capable of generating an ECG similar to a single-lead electrocardiogram, according to the FDA.

ECG and other heart data is collected in the Health app on a paired iPhone. Apple's document lists a minimum requirement of an iPhone 5s or later running iOS 12.1.1, currently in beta testing, or later.

To take an ECG reading from the Apple Watch, users will need to place a finger on the Digital Crown while wearing the watch. The reading is completed in 30 seconds, allowing users to determine whether their hearts are beating in a regular pattern or if there are signs of atrial fibrillation.

Apple's training document states that the ECG app is regulated and only available in regions cleared for use. The app will initially be limited to the United States, where Apple has received FDA clearance, but Apple Watch Series 4 models sold worldwide include the electrical heart sensor for future expansion.

Apple Store employees are instructed to advise customers that the ECG app is "not intended to be a diagnostic device or to replace traditional methods of diagnosis," and "should not be used to monitor or track disease state or change medication without first talking to a doctor," according to Apple's document.

Apple promised that the ECG app will be available later this year, but it's unclear when watchOS 5.1.2 and iOS 12.1.1 will be released. watchOS 5.1.2 has been in beta testing since November 7, while iOS 12.1.1 has been in beta testing since October 31, so both software updates should be released relatively soon.

A separate Apple training document obtained by MacRumors suggests that irregular heart rhythm notifications will also be enabled in watchOS 5.1.2 on Apple Watch Series 1 through Apple Watch Series 4 models.

The ECG app will not be available on previous-generation Apple Watch models, including the original through Series 3.

Article Link: watchOS 5.1.2 Will Enable ECG App on Apple Watch Series 4

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Am I the only one scared that my Watch will tell me I'm going to die?
No, you should be scared that your watch will tell you you're fine when you're really having a heart attack.

The series 4 is a single lead ECG, basically a rhythm strip, and can reveal an abnormal rhythm (like a-fib), but not much more. Hospitals use ECGs with up to 12 leads.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Apple needs to stop announcing features and products they can't actually deliver for months after announcement. I miss the old days when Steve Jobs would come out on stage, present a new product and say "it's ships today."

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
If not released by June 2019 then they might as well say it’s for Apple Watch 5 only.

To be honest this should have been available right when the Apple Watch 4 became available.
We've put up with a lot of crap from Apple in recent years. With such rapid turnover of new models, when the 'tempting' new features are mentioned then they should be available upon release of the hardware, not halfway or later through it's short novelty period. With super-premium priced products there's no excuse for duping customers. The ECG feature is the worst let down yet - it will be severely delayed in most territories if released at all!

Reactions: MrGuder

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
No it is not (I have one). The premium subscription saves your readings for you in their cloud. Without any premium subscription or additional cost after buying the device, you can take readings as often as you like and save them as a pdf to a location of your choice (I save my pdfs to a folder in DropBox, but you can use OneDrive, iCloud, etc). Or you can send the pdfs as email attachments directly from the app. And you can even use it to take readings for other people (and save those as pdfs, etc). I have the Kardia Mobile one; the watch strap one would require you to let someone else wear your watch to take their readings.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I am pissed that this will not work with my Series 3!! I could really use this app. Apple has a way to make me spend money. I might be stubborn and not buy a Series 4 until refurbs come along.
They always said it was series 4 only. Are you just now getting that info, or are you pissed all over again, now that it looks to be a reality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.