Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Well nobody expects a gaming console to run Microsoft Office. An iPad is advertised as the “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” It doesn’t sound logical to buy a $2000-$4000 iPad only for it to be rendered useless by software that sucks and can easily run on all those $500 iPads that most children own
Pretty sure it can't be rendered useless if it was already useless to begin with. For me, iPad is a media consumption device. That's why I have a hard time justifying upgrading from my current 2017 iPad Pro. You shouldn't have purchased an iPad, but a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
- I didn’t do my due diligence in my purchasing decision and now I want to file a class action lawsuit.

- Most reviewers complain about the same thing I am currently complaining about.

- I spent thousands of dollars for an iPad when I should have really made a better decision.

You can justify this all you want, but all 3 of these points say the same thing. You made a bad decision. And things happen, I get it. But if you’re looking for sympathy or a mass of people to agree with you- you literally need to look offline. I don’t mean to rain on your parade, but it’s like you really believed the little girl laying on the lawn in the Apple commercial asking “what’s a computer?” - there’s a reason we all laugh at it.

Next up, a class action lawsuit for the lightning port being on the bottom of the Magic Mouse? That’s not how this works. If the displays were all going bad and Apple wasn’t fixing it on your model of device, then sure. That’s an example of a class action lawsuit. But to be honest, this is pretty cry-baby ranting.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I feel like the iPad should have more flexible software. Other tablets, which all of them are no where near as powerful as an iPad Pro, even the 2018 iPad Pro is far more powerful than the fastest Android tablet, have better multitasking and more robust software
Do tell what "robust software" exist for Android tablet that doesn't exist on iPadOS.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
And I bet the EU will also successfully force Apple to cut its prices by more than half /s

But seriously, I can’t be the only one that doubts EU’s success over Apple. Apple is the biggest tech company on the planet. I feel like they’ll brush the EU’s demands aside and win the court cases like nothing ever happened
They will most likely delay compliance with said legislation until the point for it to become more cost effective to implement said changes.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison
This is deep.

I share your same sentiments OP, the iPad will always be looked at as a joke solely because of its software. The sooner a Mac and iPad merge, the better it is for everyone including Apple’s wallet.

Reactions: dk001

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
While I feel this whole discussion is troll bait, I’m inclined to put my two cents in.

I noticed further down you justified your $4000 iPad remark with ‘that’s the value when you add’ etc.

I don’t want to alarm you, but… the most consistent problem here isn’t your expectations, but your poor choices.

You want everything a Mac laptop does, and have dressed your ipad so it’s basically a laptop with loose bits, and you bought an iPad? I mean.. you want everyone else to put in for a class action, because you inadequately assessed your usage needs?

It’s kinda like buying a Ferrari when you needed a bulldozer, then complaining that your expensive Ferrari is poor at land moving.

heinzdembowski

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2021
Not a chance. Apple is just like any other vendor and doesn't owe anybody anything - you're free to not buy their products if you don't like them.
That is very true and it feels really good to not buy these beautiful but utterly useless iPads. Like the OP, I was stupid enough at some point to believe that I could do something useful with one. Now all that happens is whenever I have to sign something I need to charge its and the Apple Pencil's batteries because they died in the meantime.

Reactions: Jeven Stobs

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)

iPad is functioning as described, with more functionality than it had when you bought it.

class action? puh-lease...

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Is this the guy that also said we should sue Apple because of some iPad hardware stuff?
I first thought „How did this thread get on top of Trending again?“

Anyway, pal, for me this is simple:
You don’t like iPadOS,
I don’t like iPadOS.
You bought an iPad hoping that Apple would do what you want.
I didn’t buy an iPad because I knew better.
If you want more, well, good.
Tell Apple. But don’t expect them to magically come around the corner with what you were hoping for to get.
You can be mad at Apple for not using the iPad at its full potential, but you should be even more mad at yourself for expecting them to do better.
You should have bought the iPad knowing what it can do.
If you bought it demanding and hoping that it should do more.
If bought what you got, not what you wanted, that’s on you.
Good luck with the lawsuit…

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Cause my MacBook Pro is from 2012 and I don’t have the money and resources to buy a whole new MacBook Pro yet, so I’m using my iPad Pro as a stopgap for now, and also as a natural note taking and drawing device with some photo editing and web browsing mixed in
I get your frustration, I too wish the iPad would life up to its full potential.
But that’s just a wish, not reality.
You can’t sue Apple because you wished for something.
Where was the damage done? In your heart? Are you sure that you wanna go to trial with that reasoning?
Life with it and stop wasting your time complaining about a mistake you did. You should have been more careful to buy a tablet as a fully featured computer replacement. Learn from your doing and move on.
Or do you actually believe something will happen because of this thread??

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
This would be a 20 second court case that would end with your lawyer contemplating a career change.

Well nobody expects a gaming console to run Microsoft Office. An iPad is advertised as the “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” It doesn’t sound logical to buy a $2000-$4000 iPad only for it to be rendered useless by software that sucks and can easily run on all those $500 iPads that most children own

Can you show me the Apple advertisement that those quotes are from? I’d love to see if 1) those quotes are accurate, and 2) whether or not they’re taken out of context (eg. perhaps the actual whole quote was “The iPad can be a laptop replacement for a certain group of people”).

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
So let me get this straight... you bought an iPad Pro which costs around $799+tax instead of a laptop. A device which arguably is meant as an extension of a laptop (akin to a very advanced pen & paper notebook), and now are complaining that it is not up to par with a dedicated laptop/desktop?

Me thinks you got the wrong idea of the iPad being a laptop replacement. If I were you, I would have instead used the cash you spent on your iPad and perhaps saved a bit more for a MacBook Air or the 13" Pro.
There is sufficient computing power where it can indeed act as a low-end laptop with no issue. The question is why would Apple want to have competing products in their line up and that should tell us that Apple continues to tell us what we want in a tablet.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Ok I'm one of the people who quite vocally complains that iPads are being strangled by a half-baked OS that discourages developers from marketing desktop-class apps which make use of the M1's potential. But the idea you genuinely think Apple should face litigation because the iPad doesn't do what you want it to do is probably the funniest thing I'll read this week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.