Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
It seems that when my system is in sleep mode for too long it just shuts off and I have to press the power button to turn it back on. This used to never happen but happens to me now every morning. Used to be in the mornings I would open the lid and there was the login screen within a second or two. Now I have to press the power button and when everything loads Chrome complains that it shut down unexpectedly. I haven't been able to determine how long it has to be in sleep mode before it does this. Seems like if it's just a few hours it's not a problem. In Energy Saver preferences the only option checked on the battery tab is "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". I'm not certain if this happens when it's plugged in. Any thoughts on that? I did reset the SMC and the NVRAM for what it's worth.

ImmyA

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
I am experiencing the exact same thing on my Late 2016 15" Macbook Pro too.

When I put my laptop into sleep mode and return the following morning I have to press the power button for it to boot - which then goes through the restart cycle instead of just displaying the login screen. When my desktop eventually loads up I am sometimes presented with a Mac did not shut down properly error message and chrome also complaining about being shut down unexpectedly.

This issue only surfaced when upgrading to High Sierra. It would be good to know if anybody knows of a remedy / fix for the issue although I assume we are probably have to wait for a fix in a future update.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
And here too.

In fact, I went up tp bed briefly before my wife, plugged in to charge as I shut it.

Wife comes up and tells me the MB Pro is making a lot of noise (fans) and was getting hot.

So I fetched it and indeed the fans were loud and I never hear them ever normally and it had got quite warm.

This is after the latest High Sierra public beta.

rcoden

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
Late 2015 15" MacBook Pro - Goes to sleep, does not wake up, have to hold power and reboot. Running (not beta) MacOS High Sierra and supplemental update. Never use to have these types of problems. Beginning to remind me of Windows days. :-(. This is why I started using Macs, did not want any more 'Windows' days.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
So last night I left it plugged in to power and guess what?...it woke up properly. Put it down this morning (not plugged in) and didn't touch it again for over 3 hours. When I opened the lid I got the Apple logo and then the login, as if it had rebooted....but I didn't have to hit the power button that time. Very strange behavior. I might try turning on the "power nap" option while on battery to see if that resolves the issue.

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
Exactly the same here with my late 2016 MakBook Pro since High Sierra : when on battery, if I close the lid and repopen it a few hours later, it is as if it has rebooted. Sometimes it remembers my applications state (as if it was "hibernating"), sometimes not.

I have power nap disabled. Really annoying. It also happens on 10.13.1 beta 1 & 2

rogerchristian

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2006
With the update a couple of days ago, it now seems to wake, not with a key stroke, but clicking the mouse seems to do the trick.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Well, unfortunately turning on power nap didn't fix the issue. Laptop still acted like it had rebooted after 3hrs untouched.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
HS is installed on both of my Macs, 1 instance on my 2012 Mini Server and several instances on my 2013 rMBP. Console logs are my source.

I found that Safari was causing crashes in each instance on the two Macs - EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) - IOW, memory leaks.

I rarely use Safari on my Mini Server, the one time I used Safari/quit Safari/put the Mac to Sleep (app nap is on; iCloud Drive is not enabled) - I had to use the Power button to get the Mac to work properly again. Similar on the rMBP.

I've taken to just quitting everything, logging out, then putting the Mac to sleep from the Login Screen. No crashes for 7 days.

Reactions: George Dawes

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Campy, where specifically in Console were you seeing this? I'll try closing out of everything as well to see what happens but I can't imagine it's a memory leak in my situation because it worked fine when I had it on power overnight.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I had this issue with the first beta of High Sierra. They did fix it, but in the interim, I changed hibernation to 0 using terminal.

https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-hibernate-a-mac--cms-23235

It should not do this, but until they fix it for your machines with an update, this will solve the problem. When you guys are pressing the power button you are dong a forced hard shut down. Your machine is sleeping and apps are running, but you can't wake it up.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
+1 here same laptop as well?

Late 2015 15" MacBook Pro - Goes to sleep, does not wake up, have to hold power and reboot. Running (not beta) MacOS High Sierra and supplemental update. Never use to have these types of problems. Beginning to remind me of Windows days. :-(. This is why I started using Macs, did not want any more 'Windows' days.

jhbrk

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
Exactly the same here with my late 2016 MakBook Pro since High Sierra : when on battery, if I close the lid and repopen it a few hours later, it is as if it has rebooted. Sometimes it remembers my applications state (as if it was "hibernating"), sometimes not.

I have power nap disabled. Really annoying. It also happens on 10.13.1 beta 1 & 2

Having the same problem here. I suspect this has something to do with when the computer is going into or coming out of standby. For me it sleeps fine on battery for a short time, but if I leave it long enough that it goes into standby then I seem to have this problem. I'm also on a late 2016 MBP on 10.13.1 b2. Not sure what is going on, but agree that this is very annoying.

WeezyWally

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2017
Marbella, Spain
It seems that when my system is in sleep mode for too long it just shuts off and I have to press the power button to turn it back on. This used to never happen but happens to me now every morning. Used to be in the mornings I would open the lid and there was the login screen within a second or two. Now I have to press the power button and when everything loads Chrome complains that it shut down unexpectedly. I haven't been able to determine how long it has to be in sleep mode before it does this. Seems like if it's just a few hours it's not a problem. In Energy Saver preferences the only option checked on the battery tab is "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". I'm not certain if this happens when it's plugged in. Any thoughts on that? I did reset the SMC and the NVRAM for what it's worth.

Exact same problem for me on late 2016 15 mbp on latest beta . If I leave it boots up slowly and everything is laggy and unresponsive until I restart it again. I miss proper standby mode. First time I’ve had this problem in 4 years of using Mac.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
LarryJoe, thank you! This seems to have fixed it for me. Still would rather have an "official" fix from Apple but this will work for now. I never was much of a Patriots fan but I'm a little more of one now. ;-)

Reactions: LarryJoe33

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
LarryJoe, thank you! This seems to have fixed it for me. Still would rather have an "official" fix from Apple but this will work for now. I never was much of a Patriots fan but I'm a little more of one now. ;-)

Haha, I get why no one likes them outside of New England! They will fix it. I’m sure all the people in this thread have similar hardware.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Oddly now when it's on AC power it behaves unexpectedly. I had it plugged in, opened the lid, and got the same apple logo reboot icon and apps complaining about being shut down unexpectedly. Almost like it's fine now on battery but not so when plugged in.

ImmyA

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
In my particular case I don't to have to keep hold of the power button for a hard shut down and then turn it on by pressing the button. After being on sleep (i.e. overnight) I just open the lid and press the button once as per normal, this results in fresh restart rather then just being prompted with the lock screen.

For now I am shutting down the laptop completely after user until a confirmed fix is released to address the issue.

Reactions: tphalp

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
In my particular case I don't to have to keep hold of the power button for a hard shut down and then turn it on by pressing the button. After being on sleep (i.e. overnight) I just open the lid and press the button once as per normal, this results in fresh restart rather then just being prompted with the lock screen.

For now I am shutting down the laptop completely after user until a confirmed fix is released to address the issue.

Yes that was my case as well until I tweaked settings per LarryJoe's post.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Today the settings change failed for me. Left my MacBook Pro untouched most of the day (8+ hours) and once again had to press the power button and have it boot up from scratch, another unexpected shutdown. Sigh...
[doublepost=1508201690][/doublepost]Seems to be some time related kind of setting.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
OK, I think I fixed the issue. After doing some more reading about this it sounded like another option would be to turn "standby" off. So in Terminal, run:

sudo pmset -a standby 0

You should get prompted for your password. Set it to 1 to turn it back on. So now I have both Hibernate and Standby off...not sure if just turning Standby off would have worked but so far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.