Weird sleep issue

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by bbates123, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MachCrit macrumors regular

MachCrit

Sent this in via Feedback app last week. nMacPro. Was happening every time the computer went to sleep, now about 60% of the time. It isn't shutting down, but is stuck in sleep mode.

Running Apple Cinema display and Thunderbolt Display.

Lots of reports of this on nMacPro Cylinders

2. hieubui macrumors newbie

Does the computer behave any differently from normal with standby being 0?

3. bbates123 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, for me so far everything has been normal. I have experienced no issues. Later today I'm going to try setting Hibernate back to 3 (default) and see if it stays this way.

4. hieubui.rtz macrumors member

Meanwhie, I'll update to beta3 see if that helps

5. bbates123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Please report back!

6. x_man_ macrumors newbie

x_man_

It still happens, at least for me, with the 10.13.1 beta 3. After eight hours since the installation of the latest beta, my tbMBP 2016 didn't wake up after only two hours of sleep mode.

7. WeezyWally macrumors newbie

WeezyWally

That really sucks. This should be a priority to fix, it's my main problem with the latest beta.

8. bbates123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's a real bummer, I was hoping it would have been fixed in that beta. My system is still running as normal since I changed the Standby setting to 0.

9. WeezyWally, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

WeezyWally macrumors newbie

WeezyWally

Can confirm, problem persists on my 2016 15 MBP on Public Beta 3. It seemed even worse and slower to boot this morning, had to restart to get OS working smoothly again. Anyone know if Apple are looking into this? I've submitted feedback.

10. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting the updates with this issue. I just went back to Sierra and decided to wait it out until they fixed this issue.

Doing a hard reboot each time after waking up gets old fast.

11. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

I should have told you to check that, my bad. I thought standby default was 0 already. Actually the defaults should be 3 for hibernate and 0 for standby for both AC and Battery Power. That is, when it is working properly. 0, 0 will solve the problem for now. You should know that these setting never put the machine into hibernate and also will not dump open system data to memory. So don't run out of power or you will lose whatever you are working on. Not that big of an issue, but you should know. Also, you can check your settings under about/system report/power.

12. bbates123 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, so here's what I think might be a better solution...

I set Hibernate mode back to the default of 3
    I set Standby back to 1 (on)
    And I changed the Standbydelay to 86,400

The default Standbydelay was 10,800 (seconds) which equates to 3 hours - that seemed to be about the amount of time where after 3 hours my system would boot from the Apple logo. Setting to 86,400 is 24 hours. So if my thinking is valid here, the system will hibernate if I don't open the lid in the span of 24hrs. Any time within 24hrs it should just wake right up.

13. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

You definitely have all the tools and knowledge to tweak away at it. 0,0 will definitely always work, but it's the most dramatic as your machine is basically just turning off the screen when closed.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2017 ---
    10.13.1 beta 3 is a full install and the hibernation/standby settings you manually adjusted will go back to default. If the issue is resolved, then all good with the default. If not, you are going to have to tweak them again.

14. hieubui.rtz macrumors member

So I set hibernatemode to 0 and shut the lid for 8 hours, this happened.

It woke up with apple logo appearing for like 3 seconds and got me straight into the login screen. The computer then required password in stead of touchid, which is strange because it did not do a full bootup this time (no progress bar under apple logo).

On the plus side, previous session was retained

15. bbates123 thread starter macrumors 6502

If you don't want the apple logo to appear and if you want it to wake up faster don't mess with the Hibernatemode setting, instead set Standby to 0 or better yet set Standbydelay to some really high number (3600 times however many hours you don't want it to go into hibernate). I set mine to 86400 which is 24hrs.

16. hieubui macrumors newbie

I think I'll set hibernate 0 from now on. Hibernation doesn't do anything apart from making the waking process way too slow (if working normally).

I always save my work before shutting the lid so that's not an issue.

17. planetf1 macrumors 6502

planetf1

After my last post I wasn't convinced by the results so I
    - reset NVRAM
    - reset SMC controller
    - reset power management settings (pmset) to default

The issue still occurs -- the system DOES NOT hibernate after many hours but shuts down -- or more likely fails to restore from hibernate, and has to spend a few minutes restarting apps

For reference the default settings I have are at the end of this post.

09:21 $ sudo pmset -g custom
    Battery Power:
    lidwake 1
    autopoweroff 1
    autopoweroffdelay 28800
    standbydelay 10800
    standby 1
    ttyskeepawake 1
    hibernatemode 3
    powernap 0
    gpuswitch 2
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    displaysleep 2
    sleep 1
    tcpkeepalive 1
    halfdim 1
    acwake 0
    lessbright 1
    disksleep 10
    AC Power:
    lidwake 1
    autopoweroff 1
    autopoweroffdelay 28800
    standbydelay 10800
    standby 1
    ttyskeepawake 1
    hibernatemode 3
    powernap 1
    gpuswitch 2
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    displaysleep 10
    womp 1
    networkoversleep 0
    sleep 1
    tcpkeepalive 1
    halfdim 1
    acwake 0
    disksleep 10

18. hieubui macrumors newbie

It does go into hibernation mode. The problem here is it can't wake up from hibernation so it crashes instead, which is why you see the computer do a full boot up every time.

For now, set hibernatemode to 0 as temp solution

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

19. planetf1, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017

planetf1 macrumors 6502

planetf1

I did notice my log has a sleep failure 0xFFFFFFFF0400001F ....

Having read some more, rather than hibernatemode=0, For now I'm going to try

sudo pmset powernap 0

Leaving hibernatemode at 3..... 0 will be the next test tomorrow if issue continues

20. planetf1 macrumors 6502

planetf1

Powernap off didn't help. The next day I was out for > 3 hours, and having hibernatemode=0, and powernap=1 did seem to work well - the mac woke up pretty quickly & as it was left. This morning? Different - fans running (not superfast), system very hot, nothing on screen, unresponsive to key presses & had to force power cycle.

Sheesh power management is a problem isn't it. It's like using windows 10 years ago! If it was beta specific I'd be fine, but forum reports seem to suggest ongoing issues for a few years?

Anyway now going with powernap=0 (since perhaps last night the mac woke up and failed to go back to sleep), and hibernatemode=0 (since using disk ALWAYS seems to cause an issue).

21. joefoong79 macrumors regular

sleep wake failure is back..................this the reason of mac do not always update to the latest version. snow leopard had it, Yosemite had it also stop at maverick but comeback at Sierra on my MacBook 2012. somehow my MacBook 2016 Sierra doesn't have this symptom. I will believe is individual machine compatible issues. Have to wait till next version of OS or have to revert back old OS version to stop it. an update will not help from my past experience

22. bbates123 thread starter macrumors 6502

As I mentioned earlier if you want the sleep mode to work the way it used to don't change the Hibernatemode setting at all. You need to change the Standbydelay setting to some very high number because where it's set by default will try to put the machine in hibernate after 3 hours. Set it to 3600 times how many hours you want it to be albe to sleep. I set mine to 86400 and no issues anymore. I should note that after upgrading to 10.13.1 public beta 4 the setting stayed in place.

23. planetf1 macrumors 6502

planetf1

Thanks @bbates123 - I did read what you mentioned, but I'm actually not familar with how it worked before as I'm just a month or two into MacOS usage :) Previous experience on windows & linux where of course there have been plenty of sleep issues in the past! Ideally I would want sleep to progress from active/idle/ram sleep (30 mins ish) /disk hibernate (4 hours ish). But never to shut down. Changing hibernatemode has seemed to have an affect.

I may experiment with autopoweroff next but I'm trying to make the changes slowly to understand their effect..
    Fundamentally though with the defaults causing a reboot I think OOTB it's broken in the beta at least

24. hieubui.rtz macrumors member

Basically you want it not to go into hibernation. Setting standbydelay to 24hrs and you will have waking issue after 24hrs anyway, why not turn off hibernation in the first place? (just make sure battery doesn't go flat)

25. jimgl macrumors newbie

I am also experiencing the wake from sleep problems with High Sierra on my 2016 MacBook Pro. If I open the lid with AC power applied, it wakes immediately. If I unplug the AC adapter before opening the lid, it takes 20 seconds to wake up.