Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
"Lots of people are great at playing drums, but Danny Carey is great at playing music."

:cool:
He is an octopus! Each of his limbs has it's own independent brain.

There's something truly magical in watching highly skilled people make their craft seem effortless. Thanks for sharing the video, I hadn't come across it before.
It was just posted a couple of days ago from their concert. There isn't anyone else like him anywhere.

Reactions: Mefisto and D.T.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Reactions: mikzn

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I was outside earlier for a walk and listening for which birds have returned to the meadow trees out back... and bumped into this piece still earlier today that made me think if I had an Echo setup I'd be spending some time indoors refreshing my memory and telling it stuff like "Alexis, ask Audubon what a Northern Oriole sounds like."

Meanwhile for standard musical entertainment to keep me moving around the kitchen as I sort out stuff for the yard sales in June, there's absolutely nothing like a little Manu Chao...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Listening to right now,

Band: Tool
Album: Fear Inoculum
Song: Fear Inoculum
Released in August 2019

Are Maynard and Tool clairvoyant?

Lyrics:
Immunity, long overdue
Contagion, I exhale you
Naive, I opened up to you
Venom and mania
Now, contagion, I exhale you

The deceiver says, he says
You belong to me
You don't wanna breathe the light of the others
Fear the light, fear the breath
Fear the others for eternity
But I hear them now, inhale the clarity
Hear the venom, the venom in
What you say inoculated
Bless this immunity
Bless this immunity
Bless this immunity

Exhale, expel
Recast my tale
Weave my allegorical elegy

Enumerate all that I'm to do
Calculating steps away from you
My own mitosis
Growing through division from mania

Exhale, expel
Recast my tale
Weave my allegorical elegy

Forfeit all control
You poison, you spectacle
Exorcise the spectacle
Exorcise the malady
Exorcise the disparate
Poison for eternity
Purge me and evacuate
The venom and the fear that binds me

Your veil now, lift away
I see you runnin'
Deceiver chased away
A long time comin'

Fear Inoculum.png

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was outside earlier for a walk and listening for which birds have returned to the meadow trees out back... and bumped into this piece still earlier today that made me think if I had an Echo setup I'd be spending some time indoors refreshing my memory and telling it stuff like "Alexis, ask Audubon what a Northern Oriole sounds like."

Meanwhile for standard musical entertainment to keep me moving around the kitchen as I sort out stuff for the yard sales in June, there's absolutely nothing like a little Manu Chao...

I love Manu Chao - music as sunshine (and politically progressive, as well).

Reactions: LizKat

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Brilliant track, and wow, umm, I hadn't even thought about it in the last couple of weeks in context of the current events ... :oops:
If we travel back to 1996 and look at the lyrics (linked, but can't post here) of Ænema from the self-titled album, it also fits with the reaction of humanity today, too. Though, the song was clearly written, and verified in his book, that it was about his disdain for the city of Los Angeles after living there for a time.

I recall Maynard saying that his lyrics are purposefully written to be descriptively vague, especially when it comes to politics. Otherwise, you date your music quickly. That's a paraphrase since I can't find the quote. But I think he may have said it in the Joe Rogan podcast interview last summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: D.T.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well tomorrow NPR is dropping the planet a Tiny Desk concert from Harry Styles that they recorded back in February. So the Twitterverse fans of Styles are all fired up about that, egging NPR on to drop it "early" and.. "at midnight" since so many folks are grounded over coronavirus and some fans are apparently already bored out of their minds. So NPR to the rescue then... whenever it happens.

Me I was more intrigued by the March 9th Tiny Desk offerings from Coldplay. Different!

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
All classical music fans!

The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra's Digital Concert Hall is free for this month.

Listen and watch… glorious, wonderful things here. :)

38f49184d61e3c55e1fec7d1e44f49e288e14114.png

The Wiener StaatsOper is also streaming free content for the duration… Wagner's complete Ring cycle, Puccini, Rossini, Mozart… one opera per day.

The Metropolitan Opera New York are providing HD streams of past performances.

TV France has some excellent classical (and documentaries — time to brush up on your French!)
Beethoven Season — it is after all the 250th anniversary of his birth.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
^^^^^^

Very cool - thanks for the Post and update on the Concert Hall

am watching "04 Oct 2008 Berliner Philharmoniker Semyon Bychkov" - 04 Oct 2008 - Richard Strauss Eine Alpensinfonie (An Alpine Symphony), op. 64 (51 min.)

I have the Karajan CD and wanted to watch the Semyon Bychkov version 💕 - Previous Post

I was going to join just for this one session - now I have a month to explore the whole catalogue - awesome!

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
^^^^^^

Very cool - thanks for the Post and update on the Concert Hall

am watching "04 Oct 2008 Berliner Philharmoniker Semyon Bychkov" - 04 Oct 2008 - Richard Strauss Eine Alpensinfonie (An Alpine Symphony), op. 64 (51 min.)

I have the Karajan CD and wanted to watch the Semyon Bychkov version 💕 - Previous Post

I was going to join just for this one session - now I have a month to explore the whole catalogue - awesome!
Glad you found it useful. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
All classical music fans!

The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra's Digital Concert Hall is free for this month.

Listen and watch… glorious, wonderful things here. :)

38f49184d61e3c55e1fec7d1e44f49e288e14114.png

The Wiener StaatsOper is also streaming free content for the duration… Wagner's complete Ring cycle, Puccini, Rossini, Mozart… one opera per day.

The Metropolitan Opera New York are providing HD streams of past performances.

TV France has some excellent classical (and documentaries — time to brush up on your French!)
Beethoven Season — it is after all the 250th anniversary of his birth.

Brilliant; thanks for posting this and for sharing this.

Reactions: arkitect

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Dusted off my copy of a 1995 release from U2 (incognito) and Brian Eno for a run-through today after not hearing it for awhile. Always kinda liked the One Minute Warning track from their one-off Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 album. I should have had this thing back in the day of needing an alarm clock to save me after my abuse of the snooze alarm on the clock radio.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dusted off my copy of a 1995 release from U2 (incognito) and Brian Eno for a run-through today after not hearing it for awhile. Always kinda liked the One Minute Warning track from their one-off Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 album. I should have had this thing back in the day of needing an alarm clock to save me after my abuse of the snooze alarm on the clock radio.

There are some wonderful tracks on that album; haven't listened to it myself, in an absolute age, but I do recall having purchased it, in yes, 1995, as a CD.

Reactions: LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.