What cans do you use with your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iSayuSay, Nov 14, 2011.

1. iSayuSay, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

In a month or so I'm going to get my iPhone 4s, and I think this kind of device deserve a great headset as it's an iPod that makes phone calls :D

So please, do share what head/earphone do you use with it?
    I want a great musical earphone. So, you may share yours along with a short review.
    Thank you :)

EDIT: If you'd kindly suggest a specific cans to me, here's my requirement:

Budget: $100 - $200
    Type of music: Rock 'n Roll on the morning for work out etc. (AC/DC, Airbourne kind of rock) .. Jazz (mostly instrumental) on the evening
    Preferable type: in-ear headphones, just to make it more subtle and less distracting
    Miscellaneous: Built in mic (so that it can replace the original supplied cans), strong & thick cable is preferable, since I also want it to be last in several years :)

2. ac921ol macrumors regular

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Klipsch x10i.

Some loving words about them from yours truly here...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/550655/the-klipsch-x10i-appreciation-thread

Please do not waste your money lining the pockets of hip hop artists. All you're getting is another pair of headphones with a pricey endorsement attached. Pay the engineers who designed the headphones.

4. iSayuSay, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Aaahh .. Thank you for that. I tend to agree with you here :D , so it also has mic built in?

Is it okay for me to get a cans with mic that acts the same as original iPhone's? Will it affect sound quality if I get one with mic? (I don't know, maybe can it creates some distortion/interference to the sound reproduction?)

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

So I guess cans is some young "cool" way to say headphones?

Did MR get rid of the accessories section? Any way I'm rockin some no name in ears I found sitting around the house. Just as good as expensive "cans" for my needs.

Ahhh nope, here it is: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

Koss KSC-75s because they're the only headphones I own that actually fit the jack opening that my case has...

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent adapter?

I ordered one off Amazon but the third-party seller sent a 3.5mm->2.5mm adapter instead of 3.5mm->3.5mm :( That or a 3.5mm male-to-male extension cable that fits smaller openings so I can use my headphone amp with my other cans.

7. iSayuSay, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

LOL I don't know how long it's been going on, but yeah ..
    Cans = anything you put on your ear to enjoy some music. Sorry if that's confusing you in some way :D

Well .. okay, if I'm posting it in a wrong section, I don't mind if a moderator moving this thread there. And I did some search before posting this, tried to make sure I don't repeat the same old question all over again :)

8. vaugha macrumors regular

At the gym, the generic one that came w/ my galaxy 10.1.
    In house, hd800, ps1000, ah-d7000, t1, k701, etc interchangeably. It sounds surprisingly good for a portable dac source.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Agree x3 with the Dre headphones comments, don't waste your money on them, as they perform LACKLUSTER anyways.

A good pair of Bose in ears are all I need.

10. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I use iBeats by Dr. Dre & I am quite happy with them.

11. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Not confusing just silly. I guess I sounded just as foolish to those older than me when I was young (I'm only 39 ffs)....... I guess it's true what they say, you DO turn into your parents.

12. Angler macrumors regular

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

thumbs drown on Dre's 1+ klipsch 10x also check ajay's four. Sennheiser has some good stuff and a few bad. Same with shure. Also look at meelec also check http://www.head-fi.org/ tons of great reviews audiophiles paradise.

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

15. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'm looking at getting beats

For now my Skullcandy are doing a good job

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

Dre's are over rated and over priced any decent audiophile will tell you that. But then again it's opinions. Again I highly suggest you look at the forum I linked before. Your looking for reviews that's the place.

17. iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Thank you for your website reference. Shure (oops .. I mean sure) I'll do some research there. :D

So what cans do you use personally for your iPhone? I'm really looking toward Sennheiser or Klipsch, budget is $100 - $150, maybe a little bit more if necessary, and yes I don't really like Beats' sound for the price. But damn, I love Beat Tour cable, solid and thick.

Do you have any suggestion with another brand offering the same for cable endurance? I don't want it to only sounds good, lifetime is important too for sure :)

18. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

19. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Bowers & Wilkins P5 over-ear headphones: http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Headphones/Headphones/P5

They're essentially the mobile equivalent of the B&W MM-1 speakers I use with my Mac. In my opinion, it's an unbeatable combination that complements Apple products like no other. ;)

Seriously, though, the sound quality (and more importantly, accuracy) of both is excellent and well worth the money. Beats, no matter what people might say, are all flash and little substance. They sound impressive, but are very poor in terms of 'high-fidelity' and cause a lot of listening fatigue. That's coming from experience of owning a pair of Beats Studios, by the way. Also, the P5 build-quality and design is unmatched (again, in my opinion).

Oh, and the P5 iPhone remote/mic is awesome.

20. njgeek macrumors regular

Bowers and Wilkins P5 for over ear, C5 for in ear. I've also owned Beats Tour, Bang and Olufsen A8s, Klipsch S4i, and Bose MIE2i. Nothing compares to the B&W sound at the price point.

Generally Beats are picked by people who have never heard a real high end headphone and are upgrading from low end brands like Best Buy Philips/Sony off the rack. Same with Bose. Nothing wrong with that, but you pay far more than you should for far too little.

21. Silent Running macrumors newbie

Highly recommend a-Jays Four.:D

22. bydandie macrumors member

Another vote for B&W C5's, great range and moved from a pair of AKG K370s.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/C5/overview.html

23. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

Ultimate ears Triple fi 10.
    amazing set of monitors.
    check out any of the double driver ultimate ears you can get in the 80-150 $ range. they are putting out very nice gear

24. nmork macrumors regular

25. masciam macrumors member

Hey,

In-ear (with mic and volume controls):
    under $100 Klipsch S4i
    under $150 etymotic hf3
    under $200 monster turbine pearl
    over $300 klipsch x10i

Personally I think for iphones/ipods volume control is really useful since you can use them to skip tracks as well.

I'd stay away from monster/beats phones too. They are not bad but are definitely overpriced.

Amazon has the s4i, hf3 and x10i on sale and Best buy has the monster on sale.
    I have the hf3 and love it:cool: