Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you pronounce OS X.

• OS 'TEN'

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • OS 'X'

Votes: 65 48.9%

• Total voters

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Saying "Ou S Ex" is utterly wrong and retarded. You don't say "Vindows" or "Windovs," do you?

I don't see why you would insist on pronouncing it incorrectly. It's very, very, very stupid.

:D:D:D:D:D

People who think they know everything are very amusing to those of us who actually do. ;)

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Hahaha....uh...oh wait...

lame.jpg

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Mac OS 7, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, Mac OS 10

You don't say Mac OS "Vee-I-I", "Vee-I-I-I" or "I-Ex" so why do people say "Ex"?

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
With that mindset, why do people call it Snow Leopard as opposed to 10.6? I don't see why people get worked up over it

People say "ex" because that is what Apple wrote....X....not 10
That's the dumbest argument I've ever heard. Code names have nothing to what we are talking about.

Apple wrote the roman numeral X, which is ten, not "ex". The concept really isn't that difficult to grasp.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves. When the companies own CEO says "ten" with a huge picture above him with an X there's no more arguing you can go into.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4V3G4NqII

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
That's the dumbest argument I've ever heard. Code names have nothing to what we are talking about.

Apple wrote the roman numeral X, which is ten, not "ex". The concept really isn't that difficult to grasp.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves. When the companies own CEO says "ten" with a huge picture above him with an X there's no more arguing you can go into.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4V3G4NqII

I will call it how I see fit and seeing as it is very popular slang for the OS, I don't think I am in trouble of not having people understand what I am talking about
:cool:

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Well yea, I have always known it was technically wrong. Just that I don't really care

This thread asked what do you call it and I replied by "ex"

I don't care with what you replied to in the thread, you replied to me specifically. Also you aren't technically wrong, you are just wrong.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
I don't care with what you replied to in the thread, you replied to me specifically. Also you aren't technically wrong, you are just wrong.

LOL, no, when semantics are at play it is all about technically right or wrong. But then again, I am the rebel who says "ex" and "itouch" despite using macs for nearly 20 years and haven't had misunderstandings yet. Quite amazing

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
LOL, no, when semantics are at play it is all about technically right or wrong. But then again, I am the rebel who says "ex" and "itouch" despite using macs for nearly 20 years and haven't had misunderstandings yet. Quite amazing

That's great, I hope you enjoy being a "rebel" who knows he's wrong. Must be fun living in denial.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
That's great, I hope you enjoy being a "rebel" who knows he's wrong. Must be fun living in denial.

aiqw9182, life's to short to worry about these trivial things. I really do hope topics like this don't bother you too much in day to day dealings.

If this is what counts as living in denial, it's not bad at all;)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
You responded to me. Not the other way around.

No, I quoted a post in a thread that questioned why people call it "ex" stating a large reason is that they brand the OS with a huge "X". I was not responding to you, aiqw9182, personally

I am not the one concerned with what people call it in the least. Call it 10, SL, ex, whatever, as long as I know what you are talking about, we are golden.
Living in denial of how to say something correctly just to be a "rebel".

When I said "rebel", I was making fun of the situation

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
No, I quoted a post in a thread that questioned why people call it "ex" stating a large reason is that they brand the OS with a huge "X". I was not responding to you, aiqw9182, personally

I am not the one concerned with what people call it in the least. Call it 10, SL, ex, whatever, as long as I know what you are talking about, we are golden.

When I said "rebel", I was making fun of the situation

No, you quoted my post and even said "that mindset" then brought up the name Snow Leopard which had nothing to do what I was talking about. If you did not want to respond to me then you should have responded to the entire thread and you shouldn't have quoted me.

I don't care either, as long as people who call Mac OS X, "ex" know they are wrong.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
mæk ˌoʊ ˌɛs ˈtɛn

Because saying X as ex is incorrect. X is the roman numeral for ten.

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
I call it 'OS X'. The X is such an integral part of its brand identity, and I see no reason to treat it a version number; Apple certainly doesn't and new, major releases of OS X are versions of OS X, not OS 11, OS 12, and so on.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I call it 'OS X'. The X is such an integral part of its brand identity, and I see no reason to treat it a version number; Apple certainly doesn't and new, major releases of OS X are versions of OS X, not OS 11, OS 12, and so on.

"X" as a letter is certainly not an integral part of the identity; rather, it is a version number, i.e., 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

What about OS' prior to OS ten? OS 9 had both OS 9.1 and 9.2 you know... Considering that the CEO calls it "OS ten" I see no reason why it should be called otherwise... OS ten has 10.1, 10.2, etc. just like OS 9 had.

DisneyRicky

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Northern California
Well, according to my principle OS X isn't an animal. She was talking about Snow Leopard, and instead of say Leopard, she said Leo-Pard, and insisted that it's not an animal and how that would be silly of Apple.

I was laughing my head off!

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I see no reason to treat it a version number; Apple certainly doesn't and new, major releases of OS X are versions of OS X, not OS 11, OS 12, and so on.

But Apple DOES treat it as a version number. It has been OS "Ten" from day one and it still is today. In this case the X is not a letter, it is a number.
For your viewing pleasure and to silence any doubt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldkQ7xOZBRc

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
How do you say OS X when you say it out loud.

I've heard it both ways, but I was really wondering how the hardcore Mac users say it, as I work and live with Windows people.

Open a window with Terminal, in the Utilities folder... type, without the quotes, "say os x" and press enter... the computer will tell you what it calls itself...

OS Ten

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I suppose for many of us who never had an OS-9, OS-X works best. I don't particulary like the way OS-10 sounds so I'll probably stick with what sounds best even if it is not technically accurate.

It's not about you being "technically accurate" it's about you being completely wrong and you and anyone else that calls it "OH ES EX" is completely wrong, at that point you're calling it what's it's NOT. There's only one way to pronounce it and it's called OH ES 10 because the X is a roman numeral. You know it now from reading it on this thread, if you choose to keep calling it OH ES EX then you're making up names for it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.