Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
on these mockups i hate the black border around the screen when it should be aluminum (or at least i hope it'd be). white keys/black keys whatever, but the border should be the same

also, why new macbook instead of just macbook? with the nanos they didn't say new ipod nano

cdbob

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
A) price
B) not needed on a consumer notebook
C) if the mac pro doesn't have it, why would the mb?

I would agree against that, computeres are meant to be had for years, and in a few years blu ray will take dvd over. I really think apple is cheating us by not giving it to us. I for one would love to be able to take my blu rays to by mac.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I see, realistically:
  • Aluminum case, with design cues from iMac, MacBook Air (a bit less), and the iPods (less)
  • Black display bezel
  • Black bottom, likely black top too (inside aluminum)
  • 14.1" 16:9 LED display (1366·768)
  • NVIDIA chipset
  • 2.27/2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (25 W)
  • 2 GB DDR3 RAM standard, up to 4 GB (maybe 8 GB)
  • Bigger HDs, although not as big an increase as the current revision, maximum default/BTO HD is ≈300 GB
  • Integrated GPU
  • SuperDrive standard, Combo Drive possible for ≤$999 model(s)
  • Probable glass multi-touch trackpad
  • White keyboard
  • Similar prices to now

MacBook08

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
California
Would love that the new one look just like this:

2439542991_0370958c7e.jpg

That's absolutely awesome!! I can't wait!!!

MacBook08

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
California
I see, realistically:
  • Aluminum case, with design cues from iMac, MacBook Air (a bit less), and the iPods (less)
  • Black display bezel
  • NVIDIA chipset
  • Bigger HDs, although not as big an increase as the current revision, maximum default/BTO HD is ≈300 GB
  • Integrated GPU
  • White keyboard
  • Similar prices to now

This sounds great. If there is a black bezel, I hope it's not too thick. The black top seems like overkill though in my opinion. White keyboards are ok...I personally like black. Of course knowing Apple, there would still be combo drives. Other than that, good stuff!

vendettabass

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
I see, realistically:
  • Black display bezel
  • NVIDIA chipset
  • Integrated GPU
  • White keyboard
  • Similar prices to now

absolute gold!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
A) price
B) not needed on a consumer notebook (yet)
C) if the mac pro doesn't have it, why would the mb?

it makes me so frusterated when people say stuff like this, not you, particularly its just, apple know a lot of people think this and is probably not going to invest or take the time to do that at the present moment. I really dont want to have to buy a new computer or external anything in a year and a half.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
well... this is what i want to see:

- Aluminum ... NO MORE CRACKBOOKS <term for cracked plastic palmrests>
i mean seriously... how annoying is it to spend about 1600 - 1700 on a laptop to have it crack!!!!

- Nvidia or ATI Chipsets .... INTEL GRAPHICS SUCK :mad: so we need something that can actually handle windows vista!!!! (i need it thru bootcamp!!!!)

- Support for 64 Bit vista (like the post 2008 MBP's) because i want a 64 bit OS, considering that the 32 bit vista uses kernels from windows 95 <ooh... that explains why vista sucks right now> ... and the 64 Bit has it's own kernel that works very nicely (i own an HP w/ 64 bit vista) and i havent gotten a SINGLE freeze or crash!!!!!

- maybe a better magsafe (i have heard all sorts of stories about how those things short out)

- Backlit keyboard option ... as an option because it kinda differentiates between the MB and the MBP, but its a cool feature to have!

Hopefully Apple can show us that it's still the best and awesomest (im starting to swing to HP cuz ive been waiting for the new MB since january <cuz they didnt put an aluminum casing on that one>)

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Blu-ray is a consumer standard. I don't see why the Mac Pro should get it first. I would be perfectly okay with just a Blu-ray player in the new MacBooks. I really don't have any need to burn to a disk that can hold more than about 8.5GB. So a combo drive '2009 style' would be perfectly fine, I'd say: read and burn both CDs and DVDs (SL & DL), plus play Blu-rays. Of course, any Mac having a Blu-ray drive, should also have an HDMI port. Will it be another Apple-designed mini-port again? One that supports both DVI and HDMI? Or will Apple actually include a real HDMI port?

Jono21

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
also, why new macbook instead of just macbook? with the nanos they didn't say new ipod nano

LOL hahaha wow.... that's so sad ok let me try and explain, i rather have the macbook than the macbook i have now, but i don't which macbook to get...should i wait for the macbook or should i just buy the macbook? i hate waiting for the macbook i'd just rather buy the macbook now, cuz you never know when the macbook will come out any time soon

..... so wtf did i just say? i'm confused am i talking about the "new" one or the "old" one
the reason why it's called the "new" macbook for now is so that we can distinguish which is which

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Eww... black keyboards

Oh, and in regards to the "CrackBook", it will just turn into the DentBook.

It is usually the ones who don't have a Macbook that feel compelled to trash the current one. I guess it makes them feel better about what they will get. Aluminum has its own set of problems. I try to ignore stupidity.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
It is usually the ones who don't have a Macbook that feel compelled to trash the current one. I guess it makes them feel better about what they will get. Aluminum has its own set of problems. I try to ignore stupidity.

i've owned both a macbook and macbook pro. I can honestly, say that the palm rest cracking is annoying as hell, and is a design flaw that Apple should fix as it just gives the impression of poor build quality.

As for the Macbook Pro, I only have to say that, aluminium isn't always better, as that stuff dents pretty easily, and its nerve wracking trying to be careful all the time.

Also, the MBP doesn't pick up wifi signals like the macbook. Here plastic > beats aluminium.

I honestly for one hope that Apple doesn't depart from the white/black combo, as it's for me personally a trademark. If they're all aluminium..it'll be kinda bleah

p.s. i want a blackbook

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
i've owned both a macbook and macbook pro. I can honestly, say that the palm rest cracking is annoying as hell, and is a design flaw that Apple should fix as it just gives the impression of poor build quality.

As for the Macbook Pro, I only have to say that, aluminium isn't always better, as that stuff dents pretty easily, and its nerve wracking trying to be careful all the time.

Also, the MBP doesn't pick up wifi signals like the macbook. Here plastic > beats aluminium.

I honestly for one hope that Apple doesn't depart from the white/black combo, as it's for me personally a trademark. If they're all aluminium..it'll be kinda bleah

p.s. i want a blackbook

I agree. I have owned the Macbook Pro also(sold it for what I bought it for 3 months later--didn't need that much in a laptop plus I started to hate aluminum).

I love reading these threads with all of these wishful dreamers. Some people are realistic, but some people's dreams/wishes are going to take a painful hit. I guess dreaming is fun as long as you know it most likely won't happen.

I hope Apple keeps the Black/White also, but I doubt it. They might keep it in some fashion, but not like it is today. Some will be happy about that and some not. The reason I bought my black Macbook a few months ago knowing the new ones would be coming out was a conscious decision. I do not like aluminum and the current Macbook fits my needs perfectly. Of course the new ones will have some goodies that the "old" one doesn't, but in 6-9 months after that they will release another update and people will wish they waited for that. It is a never ending cycle.

MacsBestFriend

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
upstate ny (purgatory)
It's too bad to hear that the AlumBooks won't have Blu-Ray in at least this gen.:( But I thought the processor speeds will rake in at 2.4 and 2.6 because the computers will now run on Centrino 2 processors?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.