What do you think about 13" Name changed to PRO??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stark4, Jun 10, 2009.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

For 15" and 17" Macbook Pro users... what do you guys think about the 13" Macbook change to Macbook "Pro".

for me i feel pretty sad because i have 15" Pro and Now everybody will have "PRO" and i don't think i'll be proud of saying i have macbook "PRO" anymore. you know what i mean...

all the 13" users will say they have PRO also..

i dont hate 13" users but i'm just saying...

do you guys feel the same thing?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There are a couple of other threads about this but I can tell by your OP that you are not a Mac user from the past. If you were you would know about the 12" Powerbook. It was priced around the same as the 13" Macbook and it had far less features and capabilities of the 15" and 17". The 13" was the missing Pro machine in Apple's line because they never replaced the 12" Powerbook. People new to Mac don't know about the 12" Powerbook.
    Also dude, don't take this too personal but just the idea that you don't like the fact that people with the 13" Pro now make your 15" seem less "Pro" sorta makes you come off as a elitist snob. We (Mac users) need to lose that bad rep.

3. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

it's a name. Think of all the Sony Vaio's out there.......and no one cares about that.

It's a name of a series of laptops.....

it's a name......

it's a name......

There is nothing elitist about owning a macbook "pro" nor should that stigmatism have ever existed. That's a very very petty thing to be hating on. That's just my opinion though :)

4. tsa1 macrumors regular

5. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

well you could have your MBP gold plated, that would probably make you feel good inside.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What made a pro a pro anyway. Surely not the overly advanced graphics card, or the non-esata hard drive, or more connections than you know what to do with and so on.
    Please, its a name tagged by apple to make some people feel like they are getting something for their money. Whether it be a 13. 15, 17 inch it has an aluminum case so they are now grouped together.
    Just like ford groups the F150, F250 and F350 under the Truck category.

But if it make anyone feel less special I am with you on that one.

8. Yellow818 macrumors newbie

Maybe we can ask Apple to rename the PRO to ULTRA. So, it will be like MacBook Ultra > MacBook Pro > MacBook. Similar naming scheme has been used on sports cars, and high end video cards. They all end with something like SE, XT, Pro, Pro Turbo, Ultra, GT, GTS, etc...

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

I think the addition of 'Pro' for the 13" MB is well deserved.
    -The screen is now as good as the MBP 15".
    -Li-poly battery with 7 hours battery life.
    -Support for 8GB.

10. Ploki macrumors 68000

i disagree, id say PRO should be reserved for the top model 15" and 17", and that they should have left the 15" with discrete graphics with an express card model, and named them both Pro. only the 15" with discrete graphics and 17".
    they should have named the other 15" and 13" MACBOOK.
    if you look at the 15" two base models and the 13" they are practically the same, but 15" with an express card (top model) and 17" have discrete graphics and a bigger L2.
    while 13" and 15" base model resembles more the whitebook(with a faster FSB and a better FW port.)
    well of course, by such nomenclature the 15" low models and 13" would not sell so great. :)
    "i have a 15" macbook". wth.? but, "i have a MACBOOK PRO" "oh really which one?"
    a: "13"." "oh, the macbook with firewire"
    b: "15"." "oh, the macbook with gigantism"
    just a disclaimer, i couldnt care less that 15" are updated. :) i would have bought the top one anyway, which would cost the same as mine did anyway.. because of the GFX card :)

haha, yeah.. MacBook UltraPro Turbo GT AppleJuice 17"

11. Crash1234 macrumors regular

My mbp is still my mbp regardless of what name other computers have. I didn't buy it for the name. Before the name change, the differences between the unibody macbooks and macbook pros were negligable so who cares? It's just a name change.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I couldn't give two ***** really. I'm just happy to see the screens in the 13" are finally better.

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm guessing that you don't remember the 12" PowerBooks then.

Who really cares what it's called. If the reason why you have a MacBook Pro is for the status of having a Pro, then you need to grow up.

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Hell, I'm still sad that they dropped the name "PowerBook" :D

/me hugs his 12" G4

15. celtikmind macrumors 6502

I agree, yet still I can see people falling in hordes for that very exact hype in their buying decision... :confused:

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As I have replied in the other threads lamenting this... I couldn't care less

If your ego/identity is tied to this, then you have bigger problems than a name change on a computer line

As long as I don't have to run Windows, I don't care what they call them
    Buy for the specs, not the name, and then call it whatever you want

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I think you guys should stop ganging up on the guy. I completely relate to him and understand what he is trying to say.
    What he means is not that his "ego" was deflated because now anyone can buy a MacBook Pro but that a Pro machine should be just that, a Pro machine, not an entry level notebook called Pro.
    The people who got offended by his thread most likely owns a 13" machine or didn't take the time to relate with the guy.
    Let's be honest most people (not all) who buy Apple products like to show it off. Back in the day I bought an aluminum MacBook Pro because I didn't want to seem like every teenager out there with a plastic MacBook.

18. mrj205 macrumors regular

Then encrust the whole thing in emarlds, rubies, sapphires, and diamonds...and call it the MacBook Bling...

19. drossad macrumors regular

Totally agree! I just started another thread about this: "How I would've rebranded the Macbooks"

Check it out here

20. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Does this mean my time is at an end looking down on the commoners with their inferior MacBooks?
    Looks like I'll have to frequent less coffee shops and find out where the Windows users hang out so I can mock them instead
    ;)

21. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I would have to be in the "not all" group. I've bought a 15" PowerBook and a 15" MacBook Pro and neither time was it so that I could show it off. I needed a more powerful machine than what the iBook or MacBook were offering.

If you use the logic of "so I can show it off" towards everything, that would be a pretty expensive (and unnecessary) lifestyle.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nobody is ganging up on the guy. We just don't care about the name of the computer like he/she obviously does.

And "no", that is not what he was saying... i.e. "What he means is not that his "ego" was deflated because now anyone can buy a MacBook Pro but that a Pro machine should be just that, a Pro machine, not an entry level notebook called Pro." What he said was... "Now everybody will have "PRO" and i don't think i'll be proud of saying i have macbook "PRO" anymore." And that IS ego.

And, the only ones offended are those who want the prestige of a "Pro" name, and want to be snobbish about it. Screw the names, they are for marketing. It is like GM calling the GMC line of trucks "professional grade" when they are the same trucks as the Chevy. Or Excedrin marketing their brand as "Excedrin Migrain" when the ingredients are exactly the same as their normal brand.

If you buy a MBP to show it off, you are wasting a lot of money. A computer is a tool for doing work, not to show off. Buy the specs you need, not the name on the lid.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

24. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

as a 15" macbook pro user, i can't wait to get a chance to pick up a 13" macbook pro, to finally replace my 12" powerbook g4.

25. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't like that Apple is calling it a pro machine, but I don't like it simply because it's not a pro machine. Pro implies features and ports not found on a similar, yet non pro model.

The only difference is the SD slot and appearance. That doesn't make something pro.

The 13" and 15" with the 9400m are just Macbooks, and should be called thusly, while a 13" with a a 9600 would be a "pro" machine.

Really though, the 13" MBP is the BEST laptop in Apple's lineup.