Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I love my mbp and it does a great job. It is a great machine :)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Stop ignoring the 12" Powerbook People!

I mentioned this before but and it's pretty obvious, the ones that are defending the fact that 15" with 9600 GPU and the 17" should only be called "Pro" are the people that knew nothing about the 12"Powerbook and I noticed others are mentioning it like me and some people are choosing to ignore the posts.
The 12" Powerbook had a subpar GPU compared to the 15" and 17", it definitely had an inferior screen (more like the iBook), it had ram limitations like the iBook, the CPU speed never matched the 15" and 17" models, and it had no PC card slot or backlit keyboard.
Still, Apple called this machine a "Powerbook" because of the aluminum inclosure and it was still above the iBook in some respects.
The 13" MBP is so far ahead of what the 12" Powerbook was in every way and it's now very much inline with the 15" and 17" models.
Apple's biggest mistake was creating the Unibody Macbook and not making it a "Pro" in the first place. If some of you want to ignore this post just for the sake of having an excuse to crap on the 13"MBP then have a good day. :p

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The 13" MBP is so far ahead of what the 12" Powerbook was in every way and it's now very much inline with the 15" and 17" models.
Apple's biggest mistake was creating the Unibody Macbook and not making it a "Pro" in the first place. If some of you want to ignore this post just for the sake of having an excuse to crap on the 13"MBP then have a good day. :p

I agree, there should never have been an Aluminum bodied Mac Book.

Maybe the White Macbook and the Black Macbook.

Yes the 12" Powerbook was a bit 'below' the rest of the PB line, but damn it was PORTABLE !!!!!

I had a 15" G4 Powerbook and also went back and got a 12" one for it's superb portability.

I do agree, many are ignoring the previous lines in their efforts to ... as you put it ...... "crap on the 13"MBP"

I still cannot figure out this argument either ..........

" without the 9600 GPU it's not a Pro "

How do you explain people using a non 9600 GPU Apple Notebook to MAKE A LIVING then?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a name, the function/performance of the computer has not changed one iota. It seems the people who are doing most of the complaining are ones who are MBP owners who fell personally insulted that apple merged the two lines.

Personally I think its a smart move on their part and I could care less if my Macbook and "PRO" at the end of the name as long as it did what I wanted it to do.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Before the unibody macs came out the 15" was a professional computer. Now IMO only the 17" MacBook Pro deserves the Pro name. But apple really is not catering to their professionals with their "professional" line.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Before the unibody macs came out the 15" was a professional computer. Now IMO only the 17" MacBook Pro deserves the Pro name. But apple really is not catering to their professionals with their "professional" line.

Can anyone define " professional computer " with a definition that all can agree upon???

Are you saying the 12" Powerbook was not a "professional" computer??

I'll have to tell all the Event Photographers I know that used a 12" PB to do their job, that they were not using a professional tool. :lol:

Watching this debate is humorous .... the line between the elitist and the 'little people' is blurring.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Why don't some of the "Pros" on here post some of their work, so we can judge whether they are worthy of the hardware? :D

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Why don't some of the "Pros" on here post some of their work, so we can judge whether they are worthy of the hardware? :D

It's a pointless debate really.

The last time I recall there being a marked difference between a Professional Laptop and a Consumer Laptop goes back the the Microsoft Windows NT/2000 days.

HP for example had two Laptop lines, professional and consumer.

Professional = HP Omnibook
Consumer = HP Pavillion

What differentiated the two?

Simply put - Hardware REQUIRMENTS by the OS Manufacturer ( Micrsosoft )

In their 'consumer' line ( Pavillion ) it did not matter what Optical Drive was installed, Windows 3.X and Windows 9.x would recognize and run with any optical drive a manufacturer threw in there.

In their 'professional' line ( Omnibook ) the installed Optical Drive did matter. If the drive was NOT TESTED AND APPROVED by Microsoft for use with Windows NT/2000, it may not function and the Laptop cannot be sold as " Network Certified ". By the way, Windows 2000 was originally to be released as Windows NT 5.

Microsoft published a list of " qualified " hardware it was simply call the HCL ( Hardware Compatibility List ). If you had a problem you ran a utility call the NTHQ which ran, queried the hardware to see if it was on the current HCL.

In this case there was a PROFESSIONAL LAPTOP and a CONSUMER LAPTOP.

The line between the two was clear.

ALSO - you COULD NOT BUY a 'professional laptop' in a consumer store. I know because I tried to get one from Compaq ( pre HP merger ) from a Circuit City and Compaq refused to allow it. HP did as well. By the way the COMPAQ professional Laptop was called the Armada.

So where is the line that Apple, the OS Manufacturer drawn between " professional ' and 'consumer'. As far as I can tell the same OS will run on all current production hardware.

Personally I think the Apple line between the two was in expandability.

Desktops.....
iMac = Limited Hardware Expandability
Mac Pro/Powermac = More Expandability

Notebooks - ( not so clear )
Powerbook - PC Card Slot ( except 12" )
iBook - No PC Card Slot

But now with the current line, even that difference is gone .... except that the 17" still has the Express Card slot.

So in using that logic the 17" is Apples ONLY PROFESSIONAL NOTEBOOK !!!!!

Here is a snapshot I took while assigned to photograph a motorcycle show some years ago. :)

May not be worthy of Apple Hardware according to your standards - but I bet it distracts you enough so that you won't mind! :lol:

That motorcycle belongs to a rapper known as LUDACRIS

Model: Brittany Beall

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/moto...d/motorcycleshows/032008/485579/Bob_Luda2.jpg

Attachments

• brittanybeall1.jpg
    brittanybeall1.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 53

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Here is a snapshot I took while assigned to photograph a motorcycle show some years ago. :)

May not be worthy of Apple Hardware according to your standards - but I bet it distracts you enough so that you won't mind! :lol:
Is that motorcycle pro or consumer?

:D

MacAlpha

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Great White North
To me this all seems like grade inflation. If you ask me, they should have just eliminated the "Pro" all together and called their laptops MacBooks. What does Pro actually mean anyway? :confused:

vestigo74

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Calgary, AB
The 13" and 15" with the 9400m are just Macbooks, and should be called thusly, while a 13" with a a 9600 would be a "pro" machine.

Really though, the 13" MBP is the BEST laptop in Apple's lineup.

Out of curiosity, what's so "PRO" about a 9600 graphics chip? The only thing it can do that a 9400 chip can't is play video games... and it's not the greatest at even doing that.

For the record, there is nothing "PRO" about video games.

As for the whole 15" MBP vs 13" MBP thing... I bought one of the new 15" unibody MBPs the day they came out last year. I used it up until about a month ago when I sold it privately. I am now ordering a 13" MBP to replace it. I don't know about anyone else, but I always felt self-conscious pulling out this shiny, 15", $3000 laptop at business meetings, and ever more embarrassed when I had to pull it out at a client's home.

I think I'll feel better using a $1399 13" MBP with the better screen and backlit keyboard that attracted me to the 15" in the first place. I love the new lineup!

Cheers, Apple!

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
It just seems stupid to lump everything but the lonely white Macbook into the 'Pro' label because why even HAVE the "PRO" in the name? If you want a watered down notebook for college, web surfing and basic iLife usage get the Macbook. If you are making money in the field with it then buy the MBP.

Why not have a 13 and 15in 'Macbook' without the Express slot and cheaper integrated GPU and have a 13, 15 and 17 model "Macbook Pro" with the dedicated GPU, Express card slot and 2nd FW800? At least try to differentiate the lines like most manufactures do.

PS. Make all the PRO models have a MATTE option again. Long live Matte! :D

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Out of curiosity, what's so "PRO" about a 9600 graphics chip? The only thing it can do that a 9400 chip can't is play video games... and it's not the greatest at even doing that.

For the record, there is nothing "PRO" about video games.

FTLOG I need to stop letting uninformed comments get to me!:rolleyes:

Professional apps use the GPU to offload work from the CPU. This lets you work faster. The faster you can work the faster you generate revenue and the faster you can start working on the next project etc etc.

vestigo74

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Calgary, AB
Professional apps use the GPU to offload work from the CPU.

Really? Which professional apps use the GPU to offload work from the CPU?

I don't need the concept explained to me, I'm actually pretty smart. Just a quick list of 2 or 3 mainstream, professional apps that mainstream, professional people would use. You know, people like doctors and lawyers and such. (I'm already aware of 10.6, but millions of people have come this far with just 10.5, so I'm sure it's not going to blow up the world if they don't have a 9600 chip in 10.6.)

I'm sure it sounds like I'm being flippant, but I'm really just curious.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005

I don't need the concept explained to me, I'm actually pretty smart. Just a quick list of 2 or 3 mainstream, professional apps that mainstream, professional people would use. You know, people like doctors and lawyers and such. (I'm already aware of 10.6, but millions of people have come this far with just 10.5, so I'm sure it's not going to blow up the world if they don't have a 9600 chip in 10.6.)

I'm sure it sounds like I'm being flippant, but I'm really just curious.

Hey those electronic notebooks used for data collection can use a _vast_ amount of processing power. I mean it pegs the latest Pentium 3. ;)

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana

Photoshop CS4, Final Cut Pro 6, Motion 3, Aperture 2 and soon 10.6 will use your GPU to offload strain from your CPU as well.

It isn't just about now it is also about the upcoming release of SL. Plus why would you want to waste 256MB+ of system ram for your video card?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
for me i feel pretty sad because i have 15" Pro and Now everybody will have "PRO" and i don't think i'll be proud of saying i have macbook "PRO" anymore. you know what i mean...

I dont understand why some people get their panties in a bunch about this. Your machine is still as fast as it was a week ago, has all the same features as it did a week ago, and runs all the same apps as it did a week ago. If the "pro" label is that important then you have other issues to worry about. Stop being an elitist jerk and just use your damn computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.