Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Plenty of people have an interest in griping about it. That's clear enough.

I've never understood the value in time spent decrying a consumer product that one has no interest in, but to each his/her own, I suppose.

Hey I wasn't slamming the product. Just commented that neither I or my friends are getting one. I don't have anything against the Apple Watch or those who are planning on getting it. I never posted a comment here that criticized the Apple Watch. Don't know why you don't like my being in this part of the forums. Just because I'm not getting one? :confused:

Ok. Ok. I give.

I'll buy it.

http://m.rolex.com/watches/datejust-lady-31/m178341-0007.html#cfgvar=material

I posted that on FB a few months ago. Think it'll look nice beside my SS AW with the modern buckle? ;)

If I was creeping upward of 10k on a watch? That Rolex is more like what I'd buy.

The AW at around 6-750 bucks? Sure thing. It'll be an interesting experiment.

Oh I have this Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I have the yellow gold one though, not everose gold :cool:

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Most of my friends and coworkers are average people. The majority are not tech enthusiast, while 2 or 3 are. The :apple:Watch is not even on their radar. To most of them, they know Apple released a $10,000 watch, and that's about as far as it goes. I don't think this is hitting the mainstream at all right now, and honestly, I wouldn't expect it to. Any new tech product will take some time to hit mainstream. The question is always if it will.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Nobody I know (friends, family, relatives, work colleagues, clients, neighbors) has ever mentioned the watch.

And since I'm not convinced of it's *usefulness, I'm not going to bring it up.

Apple did such a good job selling device convergence with the iPhone viz.: "Why carry three devices everywhere: (PDA, cellphone and mp3 player) when one is enough", that I'm not sure anyone would want to go back to tending to multiple devices. Back in their heyday, Bluetooth headsets offered a distinct advantage (semi-private hands free talking) but after a while most folks I knew couldn't be bothered to keep them charged. It just wasn't worth it.

* Coolness, novelty and tech-desirability, yes. I just don't see it as being practical enough to be worth the compromises.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I'm not sure I get what you're going for here, bunni?

Just kidding around. Though I have been mulling this particular Rolex for a few months now.

My point was that ninethirty is of the opinion that there's a strict definition of "luxury."

Was just a harmless comment. I enjoy talking to him. :)

Apple will need to get past people like him to really penetrate the watch market. I think the Edition wasn't a good enough offering at its current price point.

And, I do love that Rolex. Alas, I'd have to justify it. Unless this Apple Watch wins me over to daily watch wear.

So, maybe it serves many purposes. I do like nice watches. I just tend not to wear them regularly.

----------

Hey I wasn't slamming the product. Just commented that neither I or my friends are getting one. I don't have anything against the Apple Watch or those who are planning on getting it. I never posted a comment here that criticized the Apple Watch. Don't know why you don't like my being in this part of the forums. Just because I'm not getting one? :confused:

Oh I have this Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I have the yellow gold one though, not everose gold :cool:

Sorry. I wasn't clear. Everyone is free to post wherever they want. I like different opinions. :)

I should've couched that statement in "generally speaking" terms.

I like the rose! It's lovely. Did you get the sprinkled diamond bezel?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's not the Apple Watch specifically, it's smartwatches in general. They don't interest me. But I like checking out the threads in this forum. I'm more interested in reading what you guys will be getting/pre-ordering (bands, models, etc.). These things interest me. I get excited for some reason even though I won't be getting one :)

That's cool! Thanks for being here and participating. I do the same for a lot of other products I initially think I won't get personally, like certain cameras or automobiles I admire but would not find practical to own and maintain. I'm inquisitive by nature. Sometimes I find casual interest turning into a desire to try and buy. Most often, not. Polite interest or even polite disinterest should always be welcome in public discourse. As long as it is stated in a civil and respectful manner, I welcome people genuinely questioning my interest in something even if they voice a certain level of skepticism. It's thought provoking and I appreciate the mental stimulation.

Bunnicula, thanks for the shout out to my post!

Last edited:

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
Take off all that stuff and where would the fun be?

I'm 48 and grew up on the edge of poor in a rough working class neighborhood. Which means I wore some cheap windups back in the day, from stores that were the equivalent of Walmart in their day. I lost track of how often I would look down and notice the watch had wound down or lost or gained some minutes because the internals were just that mediocre. Never was that a source of embarrassment so I can't imagine being embarrassed running out of battery (which happened on my Quartz watches all the time until I switched to automatics and kinetics and solar powered Quartz models from Seiko, Citizen and Pulsar when I could afford them)

I think "inconvenienced" would be my reaction but not embarrassed. My phone would still be around to tell me the time, anyway.

I'm getting the watch because I can. I'm getting it because Apple does what other companies do but makes whatever they're making more fun to own than the other guys do.

My husband and I had this argument over IPods vs. Rios vs Zune. He made me suffer through a Rio and a Zune even though I insisted I wanted an IPod. He had so many reasons why the others were better. All I could come back with was "It's an IPod. It's more FUN." So, I ceded to his superior logic about the superior specs and sound on the other devices.

And they did have good sound. But they were a pain in the tail to use and they never really integrated with anything else we owned. My husband's Rio flat out died for no apparent reason. And by golly even though my Zune was flamboyantly pink it was boring. No fun at all.

I finally got my freaking IPod experience when we got our IPhones. It was as much fun as I'd always dreamed. Lol, but yeah, the sound on my Zune was still better. And yet I didn't miss it and never went back to it.

It makes no sense. I make no sense. I just believe I'm going to have a ton of fun with this thing. Like the other old phart (no disrespect, just camaraderie) who posted on here, I saw it all start. My life spans those big old computers that used to take up entire buildings just to do a few computations. I was around for the home computing revolution. My Atari 800 XL and my Timex Sinclair are in my basement. My husband's Apple IIc is still set up and running. It's hard to describe the feeling of owning these devices that were part of the journey to where we are today.

I think wearables are the next big thing and I'd like to be a part of it, since I missed out on early adoption of the IPod and very first IPhone. Even if this particular iteration turns out to be a clunker, what the hell. It will be fun, I will have been a part of it, and I'm no longer the poor kid from the bad 'hood. I'm going to indulge. I've got hubby on board with it this time. He's learned to trust Apple and my sense of fun.

At the very least I will enjoy it for what it unapologetically is, an extension of my other Apple devices.

Totally agree with you. Am I the other old Phart? :p I love the fun part of this watch also. That other person seems to know what is 'important' in a smart watch. I guess millions in Apple marketing research means nothing. I am still baffled that anyone who thinks $350 is a lot of money is even spending a minute here. They should be looking for a better job.

AND the watch is not dead and useless after 18 hours. It is still a watch for 72 more hours. My pebble is a black screen when it is out of power (it is easy to forget to charge something you only charge every 5 days()

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It's not the Apple Watch specifically, it's smartwatches in general. They don't interest me. But I like checking out the threads in this forum. I'm more interested in reading what you guys will be getting/pre-ordering (bands, models, etc.). These things interest me. I get excited for some reason even though I won't be getting one :)

I'm coming from the same direction. Fascinated by the product concept, design and engineering, but I don't feel compelled to own it

I think the problem is that there are (at least) two types of discussion going on: Product-oriented and buyer-centric. They don't mix well :)

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Sorry. I wasn't clear. Everyone is free to post wherever they want. I like different opinions. :)

I should've couched that statement in "generally speaking" terms.

I like the rose! It's lovely. Did you get the sprinkled diamond bezel?

Oh no need to apologize. It's fine :)

No diamonds. Fluted bezel. This one: http://www.rolex.com/watches/datejust/m116233-0169.html#cfgvar=bracelet

That's cool! Thanks for being here and participating. I do the same for a lot of other products I initially think I won't get personally, like certain cameras or automobiles I admire but would not find practical to own and maintain. I'm inquisitive by nature. Sometimes I find casual interest turning into a desire to try and buy. Most often, not. Polite interest or even polite disinterest should always be welcome in public discourse. As long as it is stated in a civil and respectful manner, I welcome people genuinely questioning my interest in something even if they voice a certain level of skepticism. It's thought provoking and I appreciate the mental stimulation.

No problem ;)

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Just kidding around. Though I have been mulling this particular Rolex for a few months now.

My point was that ninethirty is of the opinion that there's a strict definition of "luxury."

Was just a harmless comment. I enjoy talking to him. :)

Apple will need to get past people like him to really penetrate the watch market. I think the Edition wasn't a good enough offering at its current price point.

And, I do love that Rolex. Alas, I'd have to justify it. Unless this Apple Watch wins me over to daily watch wear.

So, maybe it serves many purposes. I do like nice watches. I just tend not to wear them regularly.

Ah. Gotcha. I actually tried to get my wife to get that exact Rolex, as it's a favorite of mine as well. She opted for a more simplistic one though. Shown on the left here with my SeaDweller.

46b7d1b645aa3da0dcf9c7c82f7746bf.jpg

And even as understated as hers is, she rarely wears it. Says it's "too nice/too expensive". Women are peculiar. Lol.

That being said, I do think winning women over in general will be a difficult task for Apple with this watch. Wearable tech is still considered, as I said before, a little geeky. And more of a trend of men than women it seems. And that's not just me thinking that the female demographic is a tough one for this watch. Here's an article I saw the other day discussing not just the fashion world's response/thoughts on the Apple watch, but also women in fashion's thoughts.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0M528V20150309?irpc=932

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Since at the time I was the last post in this thread I had this originally as an amendment to my previous post but it stands alone:

I wonder if Apple should have waited for generation 2 to attempt something like the Edition line. There is the appeal of a beautifully produced solid gold case but it's on a watch chassis and a brand that has not proven itself to be a trend setter in the world of fashion yet. Yes, loads of celebrities have long been associated with Apple. But not really because it was expensive and exclusive, but because it was associated with the creative and artistic types vs the pure tech geek and business types associated with the staid creations of IBM and Microsoft.

Yes, KauaiBruce, you were the other old phart! I loved your post. It made me feel like I've known you all my life. We've been so blessed to live the era we have and seen this revolution take place and continue on.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Since at the time I was the last post in this thread I had this originally as an amendment to my previous post but it stands alone:

I wonder if Apple should have waited for generation 2 to attempt something like the Edition line. There is the appeal of a beautifully produced solid gold case but it's on a watch chassis and a brand that has not proven itself to be a trend setter in the world of fashion yet. Yes, loads of celebrities have long been associated with Apple. But not really because it was expensive and exclusive, but because it was associated with the creative and artistic types vs the pure tech geek and business types associated with the staid creations of IBM and Microsoft.

Yes, KauaiBruce, you were the other old phart! I loved your post. It made me feel like I've known you all my life. We've been so blessed to live the era we have and seen this revolution take place and continue on.

I personally, as a watch person, think the approach you mention would have worked better. To introduce the Edition in a future generation. At least to getting the majority of the people that routinely buy a watch at that level to respect Apple as a "watchmaker". Establish some heritage, prove that the watch has staying power, build the Apple brand in terms of watches, then bring out your luxury models. I think that would have went a long way with many people. Doing it the way they are now just screams of a cash grab. Which is fine...every company has the right to try and sell anything they want. It just doesn't seem very "Apple like".

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I'm coming from the same direction. Fascinated by the product concept, design and engineering, but I don't feel compelled to own it

I think the problem is that there are (at least) two types of discussion going on: Product-oriented and buyer-centric. They don't mix well :)

Haha. Yes I guess you're right.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Chris975d, it might depend on the age and type of women. I'm 48 and I recall my female peer group in high school and college were adventurous and not afraid to be Geeky or wear clunky digital watches or giant Swatch Watch models that were sized for most male wrists even though there usually was a significantly smaller sized Swatch available. In fact, in another thread I noted how several Swatch concepts seem to live on in the Apple Watch.

Now getting back to ages, and this is completely unscientific and would never hold up under rigorous debate, but I've gradually started to notice I've got way more in common as a child of the fun and funky 80's with early 20-somethings and teens and Tweens than I do with people in their late 20's and 30's.

I personally in my own daily experience GENERALLY find the younger people to be a little more happy go lucky. A little bit more inquisitive. They're dying their hair jelly colors and wearing all sorts of crazy fashions like we did in the 80's. If they look askance at something it's because they know they can't buy or have it bought for them, not because they are truly disinterested. And really there isn't a whole lot of tech my daughter's 10-14 year old friends aren't interested in. If it helps them communicate, they are all over it.

To some extent my fellow 40-50-something moms are the same way. I know once some see my Apple Watch they're going to ask how it works and a couple of them will get it. We text each other as avidly as our kids do.

Of course these observations are all specific to the DC area tech oriented region in which I reside. I do not presume to know what it's like anywhere else. I think the Apple Watch will see some popularity where I live, even among the female population.

I am not sure how the :apple: Watch will play to the late 20-30-something crowd. They generally are women trying to establish themselves socially and in their careers and may be a bit more self conscious about making fashion faux pas or not fitting an image. Money may also be tight for people and especially women in this age group. Pay gaps still exist. The hidden financial cost of being female is a reality to consider. These are interesting factors to consider. Some may hold up to scrutiny. Others, not so much. I have no wish to offend anyone with my observations and musings. It's all speculation on my part.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

I don't see Apple having problem selling the Edition. It will be limited anyway. I'm in the opposite camp of chris975d and think he's living in the old world and looking from the old perspective. Of course to be sure, the new world has to emerge first.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I don't see Apple having problem selling the Edition. It will be limited anyway. I'm in the opposite camp of chris975d and think he's living in the old world and looking from the old perspective. Of course to be sure, the new world has to emerge first.

Hey, I'm not the only person saying that a luxury brand needs "heritage", which Apple currently does not have in the fashion industry. Here's a fashion expert's take on it. She speaks of heritage too.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chander...es-her-thoughts-on-apple-watch-and-wearables/

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I happen to agree with Chris975d, and I'm a younger guy myself.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
But you know what Apple does have?

Apple.

Lol. Are you saying Apple can't make a lackluster product or idea? AppleTV, PING, MobileMe, 3rd generation iPod shuffle, just to name a few that are fairly recent. Apple CAN screw up you know. And Apple's name doesn't carry the weight in the luxury world as many here think it does. They make good quality consumer electronics...that's it. For now. Remains to be seen if they can make and establish a luxury anything, especially a watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.