Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new Files app?

• Yes! Everything I wanted!

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Good start, but needs a lot more work.

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I'm missing something - you are just describing what it does already? Replace the word 'folder' with 'app' and that's how it functions now. I know it doesn't seem like it now in the beta but wait for apps to be updated - I've tested this myself whilst playing around with the new APIs.

What is it about a folder that you think will make things any better? If an app is correctly set up - which they won't be until iOS 11 is released and Apple allows them in the app store - then it's documents can be accessed by any other app to read/write files. If you want a 'centralized folder' then just designate that to a particular app (there will be hundreds of these to choose from after iOS 11 launches) and it will function just how you are describing.

The only thing missing is being able to connect the device to a pc and instantly get access to the device as storage - that will probably never change (especially when they are pushing for the ipad to replace such a thing) - but its entirely possible through iTunes or other software e.g. iMazing / iFunbox.

Folders tied to apps seems like a stupid way to go. Why not let the user control where they want to cram their files or how to organize them?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i like it very much the way it does things now.
its very simple.

on a mac:
1. iCloud Drive uploads all files and all folders as is to the Cloud
2. all your data (100%) is still kept as is, and accessible and changeable/deletable off-line, on-line*
3. all your data (100) is accessible over over the Cloud to all your iOS devices, all the time, in the folders you made and have placed your data into

on an iOS device:
1. iCloud Drive has all your data for you to access. 100% of the time, assuming you are connected to the net.

i don't want to have huge document data on my iOS locally. no need. only need it when I want to use it.

* note that I do not allow apple to manage my storage. meaning i don't have "optimize storage/files" clicked. and I will never let apple choose to delete files it thinks that i don't need on my mac because i haven't used them in a few years which will occur without you being told or asked about it when it happens if your local mac storage space is not enough.
if there was no way to opt out of file optimization i would not be purchasing a monthly subscription to iCloud.

iCloud Services are absolutely great. syncing Calendar, Contacts etc all works really well.

Photos: i switched over to iCloud Photo Library recently. really great.

Podcasts: even podcasts can be made to sync. but also (thankfully) be device independent as well.

iBooks: are also synced over iCloud as well for me. all settings and everything.

my only suggestion as an improvement is (as many of you have mentioned) that i don't like Pages or Numbers creating their files to appear to be in a folder made by those apps. it is confusing. Not needed. Arrogant even of apple to do that. I always am accessing my files all the time through the folders I have elected to put them into, and are in iCloud as is. its my organized file structure.
without that ability i wouldn't use iCloud Drive. i just ignore the Pages and Keynote and Numbers folders entirely. treat them as if they aren't there.
when you think about it, the equivalent on a mac is when you open Pages or Numbers it will list "Recents" which is fine. but its not arbitrarily putting them in what appears to be a folder called Pages.

Chriszur

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2017
The best file management application on iPad is simply Dropbox, it enables me to define my own folder hierarchy and to decide what I want to store locally. It still manages the synchronization of locally stored files with cloud storage and across all devices. It's perfect... Well except that Apple application store by default on iCloud. Ideally I would need a much better integration of Dropbox into the finder, enabling to manage local and cloud storage or a better integration of Apple Apps with Dropbox or an Icloud Drive that rises to the level of Dropbox. Right now the best combination is still Dropbox with Microsoft Office on an iPad. That's a bit sad :-(

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Well, perhaps if he did it would indicate that he, like you and many others blathering about the “file system” on iOS don’t know the difference between a file system and a file manager and aren’t particularly well qualified to comment on the topic.
LMAO wtf are you on about?

I clearly mean that I just want my downloaded file to be automatically saved to Downloads folder which shows up in files app and I can see and delete files in the download folder. If I connect my iPhone or iPad to a PC using USB cable, I should be able to see the same “download” folder in My Computer or in Finder with read and write access and I can copy off those downloaded files to my PC or an iMac. I should also be able to paste mybig4kXXX.mkv movie from my pc to the Download folder of iPhone or iPad and view it on VLC player installed on my iDevice.

I never talked about wanting any filesystem. It was you and stulaw who are harping on file system and how some grandma will delete a random config.plist on root and crash her iPhone. I had a good laugh reading that.

BTW I have made very clear how this rudimentary files app should ideally function. It should be a download hub for any file format downloaded by any app off the internet with read and write access. Thats it. Nothing more and nothing less.

Who cares which file system it uses. It’s the functionality that is important.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I never talked about wanting any filesystem. It was you and stulaw who are harping on file system

True enough that you never said filesystem but I was responding to a post that did. It implied you said that and I didn't go back and check the rest of the thread.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 11.57.22 AM.png

As for the rest of this wall of text

If I connect my iPhone or iPad to a PC using USB cable, I should be able

I should also be able to paste mybig4kXXX.mkv

I have made very clear how this rudimentary files app should ideally function

What you've done here is mistake "should" for "what I want". They're distinct logical concepts.

Reactions: stulaw11

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
True enough that you never said filesystem but I was responding to a post that did. It implied you said that and I didn't go back and check the rest of the thread.

View attachment 716129

As for the rest of this wall of text

What you've done here is mistake "should" for "what I want". They're distinct logical concepts.

No mistake. Should means Should. Otherwise in its current form is only for cloud addicts. They might be better off naming the app as Floud (Files+Cloud)

Stop being a grammer nazi. English is like my 4th language. I try the best I can.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
No mistake. Should means Should. Otherwise in its current form is only for cloud addicts. They might be better off naming the app as Floud (Files+Cloud)

Stop being a grammer nazi. English is like my 4th language. I try the best I can.

There wasn't a problem with your grammar. I'm just pointing out that your desires don't necessary align with others or with Apple's. Simple.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I feel like I’m in the extreme minority here, but I love iCloud Drive, and I’ve completely ditched Dropbox in favor of it.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany

Stop bothering with those kind of people. Just because Apple has not yet implemented something, does not mean we cannot discuss it on a public forum lmao with that logic we shouldnt have been talking about the missing copy & paste feature back in the iOS 1 days either.

The thread title even says should be lmao

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Totally agreed, Files is more of a concept for now. We can’t even populate it connecting an iOS device to a computer via iTunes. It looks like Apple are trying to push more people into using iCloud. However, many still resist, not wanting to pay for a service if they need more than 5GB of space. Apple could easily change this by increasing iCloud free tier to, say, 20 GB.

Dropbox’s biggest strength for me is in the fact that I can interact with it from almost any device that has internet access (Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android, you name it). Until Apple can come up with comparable accessibility & sharing options, they will lag behind.

Indeed this is Apple's push for its users to use iCloud services more and more - albeit to pay for services.

Many long time Mac users, especially those that signed onto MobileMe or .Mac have had unlimited storage during both tenures and with cloud storage services being free in various stages why pay Apple?

Apple has NOT fully disclosed how Files App is to be used, its advantages nor even its future road map for evolution. Therein lies their Achilles heel. We shall see how this App evolves.

The files app is totally useless as long as it does not allow me to directly save yourfilename.mp4 downloaded off from Safari into "On my iPhone/iPad" folder.

Rest of it transferring from icloud to files app to drop box is pure nonsense.

Saving a document into DropBox or Box.Net storage of .mp4 files doesn't allow them to play through an iOS app nor even in the desktop/mobile Safari browser which is a HUGE pain in the arse.

I'm not too found of using Dropbox - free 5/10Gb expandable by owning and launching an android phones Dropbox app to 50GB for 2yrs. I'm sure many of us ran to BestBuy demo Android units launched and signed in to accept the temporary increase only to sign out of the demo units lol.

Box somehow permanently upgraded me to 20GB through sending membership invites and family members registering. I found this a poor way of getting new storage expansion.

Mega is a better option starting me off at 50GB free no ads, and should I connect to another Mega users Files I have the option to download OR save directly to any tree structure I have or create then and there into my own Mega storage. Accessible later saving me a LOT of time versus download and upload tommy account. I'd like to see something like this from Apple's iCloud for its users.

I'm more likely going to pay for iCloud increased storage before Christmas as I'll be fully into the ecosystem by choice and preference. Yet there are features and adjustments I'd like to see before hand.

... not speaking of directly dropping a file from windows explorer or some other file manager, even if it is shown as "\Apple iPhone\Internal Storage" on the host.
Not sure what this internal storage is apart from the DCIMs, appearently not the internal storage shown in the files app... -.-

I feel reminded alot of the first ootb PalmOS file manager introduced with Palm OS 5 Garnet in the early 2000s.
Users complained there as well for years and what they got in the end was also just some rudimentary functionality.
Boy i am getting old...
Ironically this one also simply was called "Files", history repeating :D

palmOS dear lord! So many horrible mistakes Palm and every ownership level palm made internally I'd rather let that is RIP.

There must be a very good reason why Apple is choosing not to allow Files App root access. Maybe someone or a YouTube review can get a candid interview about this with His Hairness

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First off there is some great dialog and debate in this thread and I for one am learning a lot along with appreciating the maturity that the thread hasn't dropped into name calling as being so commonly lately on macrumors.

Good god! You need to stop with your FUD.

No one expects Apple to expose root directory. Just expose 1 Folder called Downloads and give it read/write access to all iOS apps as well as any authenticated PC connected using USB lightning cable. So we could use 256gb/512gb iPhones/iPads as usb storage devices. Right now the 512 GB devices are overkill if you have slow internet or low data caps.

Android does it all too well.

I believe you and others you're debating with regarding Files App does this suggestion: a common folder for which via the API several file sharing applications can use outside of their own sandbox. Once permissions there is no need for he user to "grant permissions to the photos app, or Calendar, etc. that is so common and annoying.

Example: I personally would like to upload a specific picture at a time in FB from my iPhone but I cannot do so without fully enabling access to ALL my photos which then immediately become visible to all family and friends - not something I prefer. Files App hopefully gives the ability for me/you to have a Downloads\Photos folder that I would copy pics from Photos App into for FB to get access to. This way I choose and can control by segregating access.

Right now connecting your iPhone to windows (not sure about High Sierra), you can read content in the iPhone yet not write access to any folder - not unless manually manage music has been set although I've never used that.

What if d5aqoëp prefers iOS but just finds that the file system in Android is far superior (seemingly like a lot of other people do)?

If you find a system far superior to another usually that's the one you'd prefer, no? If you must have those features hen most likely a person would migrate. Sure I get preference for Ui layout ease of use etc maybe preferred on iOS but expecting iOS to be Android just is self defeating.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
TL;DR: people here want to be able to download torrents straight to their iPads. So of course the Files App is not what they were hoping for.

Reactions: jeremiah256

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
There must be a very good reason why Apple is choosing not to allow Files App root access. Maybe someone or a YouTube review can get a candid interview about this with His Hairness
LMAO why this talk about root access? Apple will bomb their spaceship campus before they allow you root access. BTW it is not needed.
We need a Read & Write access to just 1 download folder where Safari can download and save files to. The same Read & Write access should be available if we connect iDevice to PC using USB cable.
Why is Apple finding it hard to understand?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Totally agreed, Files is more of a concept for now. We can’t even populate it connecting an iOS device to a computer via iTunes. It looks like Apple are trying to push more people into using iCloud. However, many still resist, not wanting to pay for a service if they need more than 5GB of space. Apple could easily change this by increasing iCloud free tier to, say, 20 GB.

Dropbox’s biggest strength for me is in the fact that I can interact with it from almost any device that has internet access (Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android, you name it). Until Apple can come up with comparable accessibility & sharing options, they will lag behind.
Really? 99c a month for 50GB is too much for you?
Dropbox free only gives you 2GB. :rolleyes:

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
TL;DR: people here want to be able to download torrents straight to their iPads. So of course the Files App is not what they were hoping for.
Wrong. Apple will never allow torrent client on App Store. So downloading torrents is out of question.
I am tired of repeating and sending across the same point. I will exit this discussion.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
LMAO why this talk about root access? Apple will bomb their spaceship campus before they allow you root access. BTW it is not needed.
We need a Read & Write access to just 1 download folder where Safari can download and save files to. The same Read & Write access should be available if we connect iDevice to PC using USB cable.
Why is Apple finding it hard to understand?

The root talk began arbitrarily in certain. What was intended is exactly what you, I and others have stated. One folder at the Top Level Directory that allows users to enact Read/Write Access for the apps that have ability to share sheet (in iOS10 and previous).

I get it. We get it.

I have a feeling when iOS 11 goes live many of the big name developers will have updated their apps using this new API as one developer already mentioned he has successfully gained what we all hope for. We're all upset or frustrated getting ahead of a production iOS feature that probably will present itself. Apple takes baby steps with advancement so we'll see this evolve a little at a time.

I may have to re-watch the presentation again to see how we're supposed to expect Files App. Personally I'm afraid it'll have less features or sue on iPhone.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Really? 99c a month for 50GB is too much for you?
Dropbox free only gives you 2GB. :rolleyes:

I can pay it, but why pay for the more inferior service if we can have a more reliable one for free? Dropbox’s free plan can be easily increased to 5GB by linking your camera space to it, etc. Google Photos will happily upload all of your photos & videos, giving you unlimited storage and better than iCloud reliability of service. Concerned with privacy? Create a special google account called “myfunkyphotos”, etc., and link the photos app to that, so your pictures, if ever leaked, will not be found under your real name. So it’s not greed, just choosing a better option.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
The root talk began arbitrarily in certain. What was intended is exactly what you, I and others have stated. One folder at the Top Level Directory that allows users to enact Read/Write Access for the apps that have ability to share sheet (in iOS10 and previous).

I get it. We get it.

I have a feeling when iOS 11 goes live many of the big name developers will have updated their apps using this new API as one developer already mentioned he has successfully gained what we all hope for. We're all upset or frustrated getting ahead of a production iOS feature that probably will present itself. Apple takes baby steps with advancement so we'll see this evolve a little at a time.

I may have to re-watch the presentation again to see how we're supposed to expect Files App. Personally I'm afraid it'll have less features or sue on iPhone.

There's a couple of video dev sessions on the developer site. They're free to access, actually not too technical and give a much better picture of what Files can do than the keynote did. A lot of the naysayers would be eating their words in a month or two if they even remembered what textual barf they posted.

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I feel like I’m in the extreme minority here, but I love iCloud Drive, and I’ve completely ditched Dropbox in favor of it.

Me too. The only thing that I've been missing was sharing, so now that it's coming with High Sierra and iOS 11, I'm going all iCloud Drive.

Dropbox still has some features that I'd like iCloud to have - like previous files versions (also, I'd like to be able to choose which folders to download), but I prefer iCloud than running another app in the background.
[doublepost=1504852648][/doublepost]
I can pay it, but why pay for the more inferior service if we can have a more reliable one for free? Dropbox’s free plan can be easily increased to 5GB by linking your camera space to it, etc. Google Photos will happily upload all of your photos & videos, giving you unlimited storage and better than iCloud reliability of service. Concerned with privacy? Create a special google account called “myfunkyphotos”, etc., and link the photos app to that, so your pictures, if ever leaked, will not be found under your real name. So it’s not greed, just choosing a better option.

Well, if 5Gb is enough for you, than by all means, use Dropbox. I actually have 30Gb Free on Dropbox and that still isn't enough, and yet, I don't want to pay for 1Tb that I don't need. iCloud 200Gb tier is the main reason I switched. Also, I like the fact that it's integrated into the OS rather than running an app in the background.

As for Google Photos - I really dislike all Google services. Why would anyone use that instead of Photo Library is beyond me, but hey - use whatever you prefer.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Me too. The only thing that I've been missing was sharing, so now that it's coming with High Sierra and iOS 11, I'm going all iCloud Drive.

Sharing was the main thing stopping me from using iCloud Drive too, if I'm storing things online 9 times out of 10 it's because I want to share it. So it's exciting to hear that that's coming.

I just wish Files had an upload function? From what I've seen, all I can do in Files is select and then download/move etc. If I want to add files to iCD, I have to add it with share sheets on the file. And I guess that's where it would benefit from a more refined file "browsing" system.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There's a couple of video dev sessions on the developer site. They're free to access, actually not to technical and give a much better picture of what Files can do than the keynote did. A lot of the naysayers would be eating their words in a month or too if they even remembered what textual barf they posted.

I'm searching through WWDC2017 app on ATV4 so I'll look for it here hopefully I'll find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.