Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new Files app?

• Yes! Everything I wanted!

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Good start, but needs a lot more work.

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Sharing was the main thing stopping me from using iCloud Drive too, if I'm storing things online 9 times out of 10 it's because I want to share it. So it's exciting to hear that that's coming.

I just wish Files had an upload function? From what I've seen, all I can do in Files is select and then download/move etc. If I want to add files to iCD, I have to add it with share sheets on the file. And I guess that's where it would benefit from a more refined file "browsing" system.

Pretty sure you can just drag the file into the iCloud Drive folder - but maybe you meant something else?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
You better not :cool:
Can't get enough of this thread eh? :D
[doublepost=1504859643][/doublepost]
I can pay it, but why pay for the more inferior service if we can have a more reliable one for free? Dropbox’s free plan can be easily increased to 5GB by linking your camera space to it, etc. Google Photos will happily upload all of your photos & videos, giving you unlimited storage and better than iCloud reliability of service. Concerned with privacy? Create a special google account called “myfunkyphotos”, etc., and link the photos app to that, so your pictures, if ever leaked, will not be found under your real name. So it’s not greed, just choosing a better option.
LOL.
Ok, you get dropbox to 5GB... which is what iCloud already offers. And then? iCloud offers integration with Photos app and other Apple ecosystem bonuses. I'm not dismissing Dropbox as I think it's the gold standard for purely cloud file syncing, but if you only after freebies, then iCloud actually offers more.

Google unlimited storage? Have you actually tried and tested it? It recompress all your images, even if it falls below the minimum resolution. That's not what I call unlimited storage. Storage means my files should be stored one to one.

Besides, all of your alternatives will be supported by the Files app anyway, so I don't get your beef against iCloud, unless if you cannot afford 99c per month (which begs the question why can you even afford an Apple device in the first place).

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Pretty sure you can just drag the file into the iCloud Drive folder - but maybe you meant something else?

Oh, I meant on iOS. The macOS functionality is pretty much what it needs to be haha.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Oh, I meant on iOS. The macOS functionality is pretty much what it needs to be haha.

Even on iOS. Once all storage providers have been updated to iOS 11 you should (pun intended) be able to move files from one to the other, and this would upload to iCloud Drive. You can already do this between On my iPad and iCloud Drive - although it copies rather than moves at the moment.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
If you find a system far superior to another usually that's the one you'd prefer, no? If you must have those features hen most likely a person would migrate. Sure I get preference for Ui layout ease of use etc maybe preferred on iOS but expecting iOS to be Android just is self defeating.

Pointing out that Android does a few things better is not anywhere close to saying it is far superior. If it was, I'd have an Android. I don't. That doesn't mean there aren't lots of things that couldn't be improved in iOS.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
LOL.
Ok, you get dropbox to 5GB... which is what iCloud already offers. And then? iCloud offers integration with Photos app and other Apple ecosystem bonuses. I'm not dismissing Dropbox as I think it's the gold standard for purely cloud file syncing, but if you only after freebies, then iCloud actually offers more.

Google unlimited storage? Have you actually tried and tested it? It recompress all your images, even if it falls below the minimum resolution. That's not what I call unlimited storage. Storage means my files should be stored one to one.

Besides, all of your alternatives will be supported by the Files app anyway, so I don't get your beef against iCloud, unless if you cannot afford 99c per month (which begs the question why can you even afford an Apple device in the first place).

Photos - if you require all of your photos/videos to be stored in their original sizes, go for it, by all means, I simply don’t. Here is a reasonably recent comparison of how Google Photos & Apple iCloud Photo Library fare, with pluses & minuses for both:

https://www.macworld.com/article/31...hoto-library-matches-up-to-google-photos.html

My cloud synchronised Google Photo library dates back to Jan 2015 and currently takes 131 Mb of iPhone’s space. My Apple Photo’s app currently contains 32 photos & 4 videos (4 minutes of video in total between them), all taken with SE’s 12 Mpx camera. This lot takes 1GB of iPhone’s storage. I know I can move it all to the iCloud Photo Library and have lighter versions stored on the phone, but at this rate (4 GB of photos/videos per months) I will fill up the 50GB of iCloud storage in one year, 200GB - in 4 years, etc. I won’t have this problem with Google. Besides, I have read on the local forums that people with large Apple photo libraries were having their devices heat up & lose a lot of battery power with beta 11 installed, as all of their footage needed to be converted to the new file formats & reindexed. No issue with Google Photos either. Lastly, just as an extra bonus, Google offer better reliability of their online services than Apple.

As I had mentioned in my post, I have no problem paying for iCloud extra storage, just don’t feel like it.

So I do use iCloud to back up two iOS devices and sync stuff across them (Contacts, Notes, etc.), while using Google Photos for all the photo-video stuff and Dropbox - like a universal file storage system. You got me interested in checking the recent iCloud Drive as a Dropbox alternative, however, so will definitely give it a try.

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

Well yeah, I meant iOS - just drag any file to iCloud Drive. When iOS 11 apps come out, a lot of them should have local storage folders where they will store files - and you'll be able to put your own files there and make subfolders. You can drag these files to iCloud Drive and they will upload.

For example, I placed the Desktop folder from iCloud Drive to my Favorites sidebar in Files. Since I downloaded a few reference images and videos to an app folder earlier (testing a few iOS 11 app betas) I just dragged a few to Desktop. They uploaded to iCloud Drive and appeared on my two Macs' desktops too.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I will continue to use Documents 6 to download to a dedicated folder and play it with whatever app of my liking from there. Its just unfortunate that their built in browser does not have a adblocker because many download sites have such obnoxious ads, it makes it nearly impossible to get to the actual download

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.