What HARDWARE still needs to be added to the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loft3, Nov 29, 2008.

1. loft3 macrumors regular

I'm still waiting to buy an iPhone (despite being a huge Apple fan).

On the hardware front, what would you like to see added to the iPhone?

My hopes are the next version has:

– a 5MP camera
    – thinner body
    – longer battery life

Your thoughts?

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

5MP is not likely to happen.

A thinner body would be nice, but why do you need this? It's already one of the thinnest smartphones out there.

Battery life will improve over time, it's pretty much inevitable. It has good battery life now, but more is always welcome.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

an LED for notifications
    a better vibration motor thingee

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

lol

Great idea, similar to the BB.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This would be amazing. It's the thing I miss most about my Blackberry.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why exactly is a 5MP camera needed?

Its not going to look any better on that screen.

How bout a 3MP?

7. Earley008 macrumors member

A 5MP would look better when you put it on your mac or Apple TV

Why do you think there needs to be a thinner body. if things get to thin i just get scared they're going to break!

The LED light is a good idea and a software update that lets you see your calender etc when you go to unlock those to would be a big help

Maybe the speakers could be improved for playing music?:confused:

8. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

double sided touchscreen!!!

jk jk

camera is fine to me, not trying to be a photographer.

LED would be cool so u dont have to wake it up to see if u have a message or not

EDIT: ^^^ to above post, yea louder speaker would be sweet!

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The LED is a great idea. I tried out a blackberry and loved that feature of it. They could easily hid it under the glass in the upper part of the phone and it would still look sleek and sexy.

Otherwise, I don't think there are any hardware additions needed, just some refinement. For example, it already has bluetooth, but it needs upped to support A2DP ( i think that's what it is :eek: ).

For me, the biggest things that needs worked on are the software, but that's another thread. ;)

10. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

I would still really like to see some sort of controller for gaming functions. I know, it's a phone, not a PSP but it would still be really neat to have the option.

Other than that, it would be nice to be able to use some existing hardware with other functions of the phone; for instance, using the video out cable with other apps like dtunes or games.

11. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I think you'll have to look to third parties for that. Apple is assuredly not going to add game buttons.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ umm the controller is already there. It's the 3.5' diagonal piece of glass. :D

I'd like to see turn-by-turn GPS function (I know, not exactly "hardware" but still) as well as a better camera. Not like 5MP but maybe a 3MP? Most of the cheap phones have 2MP cameras in them, mine included. More pixels is always nice to have. Thinness is moot, since it is already THE thinnest in the entire market.

There's not much to add, most of the features people want are software based, i.e. copy/paste, MMS, turn-by-turn GPS.

13. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I dont see the point in a higher resolution camera on the iphone....

You ask so it looks nicer on apple tv etc... what many do not realise is that HD TV resolution (1080p) is 2.1 megapixels presently and the next stage in HD TV is way off....

Why does everyone think that the higher the better, high res imagery is only really needed for large images not TV sized ones...

Evidence - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television#High-Definition_Display_Resolutions)

14. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Really? I had no idea... :rolleyes:

No, this is along the lines of what I meant...
    icontrolpad

Alas, the page hasn't been updated for months, so I just don't think we'll be seeing it.... At least no time soon.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I prefer onscreen controls myself, like the gameboy advance app gpsphone.

I like the form factor the way it is.

16. psingh01 macrumors 65816

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I could go for a higher resolution screen, that be nice

A bigger battery would be great too, and slimed down to the thickness being equal to the first iPhone at its largest point, but keep the curve it has now(but its be thinner, because its starts at a thinner point)

18. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Dedicated camera button would be AWESOME! That or allowing the whole screen to be the button would be nice (or like I keep saying, the home button...)

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

LOL how did I not think of a higher res screen??

720X480 would be the next step up right?

Marry that with higher capacity to accomodate the larger files required for higher res video and id be happy.

20. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Well, the homebutton wouldn't make much sense, as it would require some special thing to do it, which would make any stillness difficult. I do agree with the physical button, though. I'd like to see a physical picture button on the iPhone.

21. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

The home button thing would be great so you can take self-portrait pictures easily without having to remember where to place your finger. Although a self-portrait mirror would probably help for that also. [cough]Apple[cough] :D

22. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Couldn't the camera app just make the home button become the camera button, and then two clicks will take you to the home screen and three clicks becomes your standard double click?

If not, I'm still advocating dedicated camera button or the entire screen.

23. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Ok, so that sort of pushed the idea a little further. I'm not sure if people can triple click the home button though. Maybe just a single and double click would be great.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I beleive the homescreen buttons functions have precedence over applications, they wouldnt change that simple function for a camera app.

25. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    -enhanced camera.
    -specialized side button. (maybe even two). can be used for picture capture and also be accessed in the SDK for the apps to have access to a physical button
    -General enhancements (battery, reception, screen, gps)

edit: there is NO way apple will use the home button to take pictures. not happening. they would use the volume button or create an entirely new button before they would do that