Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
I'm still waiting to buy an iPhone (despite being a huge Apple fan).

On the hardware front, what would you like to see added to the iPhone?

My hopes are the next version has:

– a 5MP camera
– thinner body
– longer battery life

Your thoughts?

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I'm still waiting to buy an iPhone (despite being a huge Apple fan).

On the hardware front, what would you like to see added to the iPhone?

My hopes are the next version has:

– a 5MP camera
– thinner body
– longer battery life

Your thoughts?

5MP is not likely to happen.

A thinner body would be nice, but why do you need this? It's already one of the thinnest smartphones out there.

Battery life will improve over time, it's pretty much inevitable. It has good battery life now, but more is always welcome.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why exactly is a 5MP camera needed?

Its not going to look any better on that screen.

How bout a 3MP?

Earley008

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Why exactly is a 5MP camera needed?

Its not going to look any better on that screen.

How bout a 3MP?

A 5MP would look better when you put it on your mac or Apple TV

Why do you think there needs to be a thinner body. if things get to thin i just get scared they're going to break!

The LED light is a good idea and a software update that lets you see your calender etc when you go to unlock those to would be a big help

Maybe the speakers could be improved for playing music?:confused:

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA
double sided touchscreen!!!

jk jk

camera is fine to me, not trying to be a photographer.

LED would be cool so u dont have to wake it up to see if u have a message or not

EDIT: ^^^ to above post, yea louder speaker would be sweet!

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The LED is a great idea. I tried out a blackberry and loved that feature of it. They could easily hid it under the glass in the upper part of the phone and it would still look sleek and sexy.

Otherwise, I don't think there are any hardware additions needed, just some refinement. For example, it already has bluetooth, but it needs upped to support A2DP ( i think that's what it is :eek: ).

For me, the biggest things that needs worked on are the software, but that's another thread. ;)

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
I would still really like to see some sort of controller for gaming functions. I know, it's a phone, not a PSP but it would still be really neat to have the option.

Other than that, it would be nice to be able to use some existing hardware with other functions of the phone; for instance, using the video out cable with other apps like dtunes or games.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
^ umm the controller is already there. It's the 3.5' diagonal piece of glass. :D

I'd like to see turn-by-turn GPS function (I know, not exactly "hardware" but still) as well as a better camera. Not like 5MP but maybe a 3MP? Most of the cheap phones have 2MP cameras in them, mine included. More pixels is always nice to have. Thinness is moot, since it is already THE thinnest in the entire market.

There's not much to add, most of the features people want are software based, i.e. copy/paste, MMS, turn-by-turn GPS.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I dont see the point in a higher resolution camera on the iphone....

You ask so it looks nicer on apple tv etc... what many do not realise is that HD TV resolution (1080p) is 2.1 megapixels presently and the next stage in HD TV is way off....

Why does everyone think that the higher the better, high res imagery is only really needed for large images not TV sized ones...

Evidence - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television#High-Definition_Display_Resolutions)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Really? I had no idea... :rolleyes:

No, this is along the lines of what I meant...
icontrolpad

Alas, the page hasn't been updated for months, so I just don't think we'll be seeing it.... At least no time soon.
I prefer onscreen controls myself, like the gameboy advance app gpsphone.

I like the form factor the way it is.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I could go for a higher resolution screen, that be nice

A bigger battery would be great too, and slimed down to the thickness being equal to the first iPhone at its largest point, but keep the curve it has now(but its be thinner, because its starts at a thinner point)

TheMBC

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Dedicated camera button would be AWESOME! That or allowing the whole screen to be the button would be nice (or like I keep saying, the home button...)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I could go for a higher resolution screen, that be nice

A bigger battery would be great too, and slimed down to the thickness being equal to the first iPhone at its largest point, but keep the curve it has now(but its be thinner, because its starts at a thinner point)

LOL how did I not think of a higher res screen??

720X480 would be the next step up right?

Marry that with higher capacity to accomodate the larger files required for higher res video and id be happy.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Dedicated camera button would be AWESOME! That or allowing the whole screen to be the button would be nice (or like I keep saying, the home button...)

Well, the homebutton wouldn't make much sense, as it would require some special thing to do it, which would make any stillness difficult. I do agree with the physical button, though. I'd like to see a physical picture button on the iPhone.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008

The home button thing would be great so you can take self-portrait pictures easily without having to remember where to place your finger. Although a self-portrait mirror would probably help for that also. [cough]Apple[cough] :D

TheMBC

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Well, the homebutton wouldn't make much sense, as it would require some special thing to do it, which would make any stillness difficult. I do agree with the physical button, though. I'd like to see a physical picture button on the iPhone.
Couldn't the camera app just make the home button become the camera button, and then two clicks will take you to the home screen and three clicks becomes your standard double click?

If not, I'm still advocating dedicated camera button or the entire screen.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
Couldn't the camera app just make the home button become the camera button, and then two clicks will take you to the home screen and three clicks becomes your standard double click?

Ok, so that sort of pushed the idea a little further. I'm not sure if people can triple click the home button though. Maybe just a single and double click would be great.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I beleive the homescreen buttons functions have precedence over applications, they wouldnt change that simple function for a camera app.

-enhanced camera.
-specialized side button. (maybe even two). can be used for picture capture and also be accessed in the SDK for the apps to have access to a physical button
-General enhancements (battery, reception, screen, gps)

edit: there is NO way apple will use the home button to take pictures. not happening. they would use the volume button or create an entirely new button before they would do that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.