What I want to see in the next refresh

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mobius 1, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

If they continue to use laptop GPU- then SLI or Crossfire would sound very nice

or better use a real GPU :D

What r ur opinions?

2. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

No chance on a high end GPU, have you seen the size of those cards and the noise the heatsink makes going full throttle.

Never mind the amount the power they use, Apple need a PSU with twice the current output to power it.

Also haven't seen any SLI Crossfire mobile GPU either.

3. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alienware has it on a M18x

And that's a LAPTOP ;)

4. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Dual mobile GPU setup, that is interesting, but not sure I want to pay for an extra GPU if I buy a new imac in few years time.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

The only people that would want or need that is gamers.

For the other 99% of iMac users -- ginormus overkill. Killing a spider with a 500 lb bomb.

6. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

Burning down the house will do.

That's why I have a gaming PC.

7. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i do too, but it'll be interesting if apple makes a dual GPU option

8. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah maybe later when Steve Jobs fully retired and has someone from Razer's executive chief to replace him. You can get blinking LED options for your Mac, dual GPU, and purple colored keyboard. By the time that comes, I'd go with another brand, maybe even back to Windows. Thank you

iMac top-end GPU is literally top-end mobile GPU from ATI anyway. It's 6970M which I might say excellent GPU. So, I don't mind compete with all alienware laptops out there.

And iMac is a powerful computer with 300watt PSU. Performance/Power consumption ratio is unbeatable. You can build 3x more powerful PC/Alienware desktop with 5x power consumption. That's not exactly impressive

10. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

um.. Radeon 6970 IS a real GPU.
    The fact that you can up it a 2GB 6970 for $100 is a great deal.

11. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

No... that's a desktop replacement notebook. I'm not down for 30min of battery life and a 3in think notebook. If you want gaming, please go and purchase an alienware.

12. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

remember that there is a "M" prefix in the end ;)

but it's still smaller than a 27" imac :D

13. jgo78 macrumors 6502

a yellow-free screen and without dust/fingerprints

14. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

What I'd like

1) a 6970m BTO option for the 21.5" model
    2) non yellow displays
    3) matte option, but this won't happen
    4) HDMI input

15. qCzar macrumors regular

A Touch Display.

With iOS becoming ever so popular, and Lion incorporating iOS aspects it's only a matter of time before one of their desktop/laptop products gets updated with a touch screen, precise zoom with fingers on-screen then edit with the mouse. Opposed to moving the mouse to the centre point of the zoom, then pinching on the [Magic] Trackpad and relocating the mouse.

I can see it now on a laptop. It'd be so nice. Though, not as ideal on an iMac upon deeper thought.

16. Andythed macrumors member

I have a 2010 27" iMac. All I want is to be able to use the screen to its full potential:

Bluray
    or
    HDMI input
    or
    1080p MDP input

Everything else grand....

17. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

An easy way of changing/adding hard drive and SSD. Perhaps some panels in the back that you can take off.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

An iMac with a touch display? Can you imagine how much your arms would hurt after half an hour holding your hands up to a screen? Mouse/touchpad plus a keyboard is a lot easier on your hands.

Can you picture the fingerprints on a 27" display? It's bad enough on an iPhone/iPod Touch - keeping the screen clean is a chore.

19. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I consider the sealed back on iMacs to be a perfect example of FU by apple. I can live with the glossy screen , but I have held off buying a new iMac and kept my 2009 3.06Ghz 27 inch because of the sealed hdd.

20. macman1man macrumors newbie

Hmm just my observations so far from my iMac:

Not possible in the iMac due to the various obvious constraints, but overclockable CPU would be good, the i7 2600k has massive OC potential for example, you can easily run it at 4.4 Ghz stable with zero messing with voltages needed, just change the multiplier and your done. Temps are even very good with the stock fan and heatsink! When paying for such a top processor you really want to be able to unlock all that power. Running at stock almost seems slow when you think you could easily at the very least unlock another 1,000 MGhz.

Mobile GPU also sucks a bit considering how much the machine costs and the size of that screen, no way you could put anything bigger in an IMac though, it would fry. The Hard drives in the iMac already run about 20c hotter than in a PC. Having seen the full version of the 6970 round a friends house, i have to say its quiet, couldn't hear it and never heard it go to 100% fan and it always runs at a silent ~33% even during most demanding situations with good temps.

Apart from that, probably more ports round the back would be nice, maybe a Blu-ray drive, (sorry Jobbs but i would like to watch the movies i already own without buying them all again off of you again buddy) the super drive sucks giant balls, and most of all, maybe a screen without any yellow ;-)

21. macman1man macrumors newbie

Better SSD options would be nice as well, i understand why they went for the single 256GB SATA II option though... MASSIVE profit margin!

22. dubAdub macrumors member

Display at least 27" & with higher resolution, yellow screen fixed.
    USB 3.0 ports

Ivy Bridge
    8GB base RAM, DDR3 1600Mhz
    SATA 3 SSD
    New case

23. OptyCT macrumors 6502

You guys do realize that most of your wishlist items can be achieved via Thunderbolt peripherals. External SSD boot drives, external GPU's, etc. Give it some time.

24. likegadgets macrumors 6502

User swappable Hard Drive without having to open the case.
    Side panel plug-in?

25. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'll never see what I want:

1. More USB ports, and put a couple on the front for easy access. And make them USB3 while you are at it.
    2. Bring back the sleep light
    3. Antiglare option
    4. Improve the optical drive slot so it doesn't scratch disks
    5. Wireless extended keyboard
    6. Better software support for multiple monitors and high resolution screens. Apple is behind on this one and Lion only makes it worse.
    7. 3 year warranty standard for the price Apple charges!

I'm happy with the performance of my 27" 2.8GHz i7, so I'm sure I'd be with the new ones as well.