Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
You will still have to wake your phone to unlock it. Why does everyone think it'll just unlock and bam everyone can access the phone. If Apple really implements this feature it will proably scan your face at all times when it is on the lock / notification screen (the reason why both things have been merged in iOS 11). As for payments, you will for sure have to press some kind of button to authorize the payment. And with Apple Pay you have to hold it near the reader.

Man, for tech lovers you guys here sure are nostalgic and afraid of change. I am actually surprised that Apple didn't come and ask you all what they should do. Y'all sure as f seem to now how everything works already.

Its kind of ironic and weird to see this post, where you seem to know it all and then call out other people as know-it-alls...

You probably fail to grasp the difference between a "skeptic" and an "enthusiastic" person. You seem to trust apple whole heartedly. Some others do not.

You also act as if Apple never made bad decisions before, like its unheard of them doing something wrong, like for example, removing the headphone jack?

Calm down, we are discussing here, no need for irony into the mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrvna76 and BeeGood

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You will still have to wake your phone to unlock it. Why does everyone think it'll just unlock and bam everyone can access the phone. If Apple really implements this feature it will proably scan your face at all times when it is on the lock / notification screen (the reason why both things have been merged in iOS 11). As for payments, you will for sure have to press some kind of button to authorize the payment. And with Apple Pay you have to hold it near the reader.

Man, for tech lovers you guys here sure are nostalgic and afraid of change. I am actually surprised that Apple didn't come and ask you all what they should do. Y'all sure as f seem to now how everything works already.

I didn't say that there aren't solutions, but the question was, are these solutions better that what we already have? All I'm saying is that I find it hard to see how Face ID will be better than TouchID. I'm hoping that Apple will prove me wrong.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't say that there aren't solutions, but the question was, are these solutions better that what we already have? All I'm saying is that I find it hard to see how Face ID will be better than TouchID. I'm hoping that Apple will prove me wrong.

I think it will be great if your phone unlocks by scanning your face without it being really known to the end user. The same level of simplicity as Touch ID, with zero user interaction.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think it will be great if your phone unlocks by scanning your face without it being really known to the end user. The same level of simplicity as Touch ID, with zero user interaction.

I actually like some level of user interaction. I don't know why, but I'm not sure I like the idea of literally not being able to look at my phone without unlocking it. Even though if I'm being honest, it's very rare that I will wake my phone without the intention of unlocking it.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I actually like some level of user interaction. I don't know why, but I'm not sure I like the idea of literally not being able to look at my phone without unlocking it. Even though if I'm being honest, it's very rare that I will wake my phone without the intention of unlocking it.

I hear ya, everyone is different. I felt the same way originally and then remembered that Apple changed the way the unlock/home screen worked in I think iOS 10. So you can still look at your phone using raise/tap to wake, then Face ID scans super quick without you even realizing, then you can look at your notifications or swipe to your widgets or whatever, then swipe up to go your home screen. I actually think it could work very well. No need for the user to even think about it anymore. We’ll see how it turns out though, all about execution.

Reactions: macTW

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hear ya, everyone is different. I felt the same way originally and then remembered that Apple changed the way the unlock/home screen worked in I think iOS 10. So you can still look at your phone using raise/tap to wake, then Face ID scans super quick without you even realizing, then you can look at your notifications or swipe to your widgets or whatever, then swipe up to go your home screen. I actually think it could work very well. No need for the user to even think about it anymore. We’ll see how it turns out though, all about execution.

The raise to wake feature was not due to iOS 10, it was implemented. It was possible due to the M10 coprocessor used in the iPhone 7 in iOS 10.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_motion_coprocessors

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes. I still want a more discrete method of unlocking my phone which doesn't involve using a pin or pattern. There are times when I wouldn't want to have to hold the phone up to my face to unlock it.

Also I'm sure that sometimes you will unlock your phone with face ID when you didn't intend to. Touch ID is very deliberate and I don't find myself unlocking my 7 plus accidentally.

ges

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
I am a huge fan of Apple's implementation of fingerprint scanning. I think they've done a great job, not just the speed of scanning, but the user friendly setup.

However, the ultimate aim of any kind of authentication has to be a device that just "knows" it's you using it. Fingerprints on a single sensor aren't that. Facial recognition and scanning is closer to a form of constant "awareness" of you.

If it works successfully like that, people won't miss TouchID.

Hertz77

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
Almost every time my phone is locked it is somewhere that the camera is not in view of my face. By the time I have picked up from desk, side of bed or out of pocket I have already unlocked it using TouchID. The actually requirement to point the camera at your face means no matter how quick faceID works it will always be a slower process overall.

Whenever I use Applepay the camera isn’t pointing at my face it’s pointing at the ceiling in a shop as I put it next to payment machine, at same time as using TouchID to unlock.
This is a solution to something that wasn’t a problem and is a big risk if TouchID is removed totally.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

It's not about being scared of change. I just want options. Samsung have managed to keep the fingerprint scanner (albeit in an awkward place). Yet there is also iris scanning, face unlock, heck you can even use a voice command to unlock your phone.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Thread title answers itself.

If a new way of authentication works better than the current way, then the current way won't be missed.

Reactions: shyam09

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The raise to wake feature was not due to iOS 10, it was implemented. It was possible due to the M10 coprocessor used in the iPhone 7 in iOS 10.

Makes sense. I more so remember how they changed the behavior of the lock screen. It makes sense now with the upcoming changes.
[doublepost=1504957342][/doublepost]
Almost every time my phone is locked it is somewhere that the camera is not in view of my face. By the time I have picked up from desk, side of bed or out of pocket I have already unlocked it using TouchID. The actually requirement to point the camera at your face means no matter how quick faceID works it will always be a slower process overall.

Whenever I use Applepay the camera isn’t pointing at my face it’s pointing at the ceiling in a shop as I put it next to payment machine, at same time as using TouchID to unlock.
This is a solution to something that wasn’t a problem and is a big risk if TouchID is removed totally.

You guys are magicians with your ability to use Touch ID in almost every scenario possible without issue. What if you don’t have to look at the camera at all? What if you don’t have to even think about the authentication process and it quietly scans your face in the background? This could be better than Touch ID.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

The iPhone 6s (with A9/M9) also received it. I think Craig showed it on stage at WWDC in 2016, and it got a good reaction from the crowd as at the time the new Touch ID on the 6s would unlock the phone so quickly that you would miss notifications on the lock screen.

I do think it’s part of the lead up to this new phone without a home button.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The iPhone 6s (with A9/M9) also received it. I think Craig showed it on stage at WWDC in 2016, and it got a good reaction from the crowd as at the time the new Touch ID on the 6s would unlock the phone so quickly that you would miss notifications on the lock screen.

I do think it’s part of the lead up to this new phone without a home button.

That's true, it did. The M9 was what allowed Siri hands free, which was largely marketed. It was with the M10 that allowed raise to wake.

Reactions: profets

Hertz77

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
You guys are magicians with your ability to use Touch ID in almost every scenario possible without issue. What if you don’t have to look at the camera at all? What if you don’t have to even think about the authentication process and it quietly scans your face in the background? This could be better than Touch ID.[/QUOTE]

I’m missing how it scans your face in the background without the camera lens seeing your face? If Apple comes up with a way to do this then I’m sold!
[doublepost=1504991936][/doublepost]
My 6s has that feature.
[doublepost=1504958949][/doublepost]I love Touch ID. But it's ineffective after my hands have been wet. Possible improvement is looming large.
Not sure I want to question this but maybe a towel would be more useful than a phone at this point

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Yes. I still want a more discrete method of unlocking my phone which doesn't involve using a pin or pattern. There are times when I wouldn't want to have to hold the phone up to my face to unlock it.

Also I'm sure that sometimes you will unlock your phone with face ID when you didn't intend to. Touch ID is very deliberate and I don't find myself unlocking my 7 plus accidentally.
I don't accidentally open my 7plus either, but many people do due to the speed of the Touch ID. I expect similar numbers of accidental unlocks, unless there is a setting that requires pressing the side button to wake it first.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
You guys are magicians with your ability to use Touch ID in almost every scenario possible without issue. What if you don’t have to look at the camera at all? What if you don’t have to even think about the authentication process and it quietly scans your face in the background? This could be better than Touch ID.

I’m missing how it scans your face in the background without the camera lens seeing your face? If Apple comes up with a way to do this then I’m sold!
[doublepost=1504991936][/doublepost]
Not sure I want to question this but maybe a towel would be more useful than a phone at this point[/QUOTE]

Touch ID doesn't work after my hands have been dried. I need to wait a few minutes.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
What are you talking about? Do you need a flashlight to allow your TV remote control to work in the dark?
Well you need a flashlight to find your TV remote in the dark :D

I kid though. IR should be fine; we still don't know the details of FaceID apart from a few tidbits here and there. Tuesday will clarify things both with the presentation and hopefully the demos captured by tech journalists.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Camera lens, infrared sensor or whatever - the point reminds it will need to be pointing in the direction of your face to get a 3D match.

Says who? Reports suggest it will have a very wide angle, to the point where it could be laying flat on a table and still read your face.

Who knows what’s true, just one full day to go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.