Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV

No other phone in the history of phones would I have been willing to line up and wait for outside the store to get one.

Those who remember will recall there wasn't a pre-order process like we have now, and the 4 launch was handled poorly. You could "reserve" one through your iTunes account, but it didn't require a CC or deposit, and no one knew if they were actually going to get one. Best Buy took pre-orders too (a buddy of mine and I were #1 and #2 in line), my friend ordered a white one (remember THAT ordeal???), and I ordered a black. Because White never arrived, I actually got the ONLY phone Best Buy received, and my friend ended up with nothing lol...

The 4 itself? The best phone I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot). It was a marvel. Especially during the first few weeks it generated attention unlike anything (even the original iPhone). Everyone wanted to check it out. It's screen was an advancement the degree we'll probably never experience again. The A4 was a powerhouse in the iPad, and here it was in my PHONE.

The 4 is also the phone that eventually ruined the iPhone "cool factor". It was SO good that it started to infiltrate every part of society. Soon, even retirees and technophobes had one. The iPhone went mainstream.

There was actually a time when having an iPhone was a status symbol. Not anymore of course, but man was it fun back in the early days...

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I loved the 4 when it came out. The design and the retina screen were really wonderful. I was also a big fan of the 5s because the fingerprint scanner made the phone really seem like “mine”, and mine only. It made the phone feel personal.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I loved the 4 when it came out. The design and the retina screen were really wonderful. I was also a big fan of the 5s because the fingerprint scanner made the phone really seem like “mine”, and mine only. It made the phone feel personal.

That's actually a really good point. Touch ID really did make a connection unlike anything before it, and they knocked it out of the park with how well it WORKED.

The X is going to try and do the same thing with a camera and a dot projector instead...

Will it make the same connection? I completely agree that devices without Touch ID feel like they're missing something (obviously...), but will Face ID be the same???

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
The white iphone 4.

I started with the 3rd gen, and got the Black iphone 4 on launch day by making a reservation. Remember, the TV commercials - “there is an app for that” and “this changes everything”. I adored my black iphone 4, until the next spring when the white came out. I remember walking into an apple store, seeing the white version, and I immediately had to have it. I sold my black one, paid full price for the white phone, and that became my baby until the iPhone 6. The 6 has been my baby until Nov 3rd when I get a new baby :)

I still have my old white iphone 4 on display in my lounge, alongside my old Nokia 3210 - another classic, my 1980’s Nintendo, and and my old retired iPad 2. I don’t think the iPhone 6 is quite worthy to go alongside the above, but I get the feeling that the iPhone X will one day take it’s place alongside those legends

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
In terms of history , the first iPhone and iPhone 3G top the list. Others have said 4 was the mainstream phone but I think 3G was when it became the contender and presumed winner in the market.

But like a Porsche 911 I think the best iPhone is the latest one in terms of functionality and performance.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
iPhone 4 for me, given what it meant at the time of release plus it holds sentiment as my first true smart phone experience (sorry BB).

5s was also pretty significant, as it ushered in the era where Apple's chips started to outperform the competition along with Touch ID, both 64 bit mobile CPUs and that high quality of Touch ID were was unheard of at the time and far ahead of the competition.

During the iPhone 4S/5 days, Android/Windows phones were not only bigger with more battery life, they were also on par or more powerful, cameras aside.

5s widened the spec gap, and its only growing bigger every year. Not that specs matter in 2017, since even mid range Droid phones are powerful enough to run the OS smooth, as are all of the devices in Apple's lineup quite powerful in context (A9 is still a very fast chip today in late 2017 and will continue to be so in 2018....yes you 6s/+ owners who picked it up at launch have a beauty of a device)

I'd also say the 6 and 6 plus were massive hits for Apple on a global level. Everyone still seems to own one of those devices, and is content to keep them forever - phone geeks are the only ones who have really moved on.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
iPhone 3Gs was my favorite, the extra RAM made a huge difference with jailbroken apps.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
There’s an old saying in photography; the best camera is the one you have with you.

Along that line, the best iPhone is the iPhone, and there’d be none to discuss if it weren’t for the original. The best iPhone was the 2007 OG.

The first iPhone didn’t just change the game, it created the game, period. No iPhone since has had as many “can’t live without” features and innovations. Subsequent iPhones have merely changed the inning.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
The first two were wow. There was a time when “oh ya one more thing” meant something. After that it was copied mercilessly. Now it’s Apple playing catch up, and everyone going omg Apple introduced an OLED phone that has no bezels.... no big deal. Time to rethink the smartphone Apple. Try and think in the terms of “what would Steve have done”?

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
iPhone 4 was legitimately 10 years ahead of the competition in design.

But now the X is 2 years ahead... in camera design... well, the front camera... the one used to replace a feature no one asked to be replaced... but still, 2 years!

The rest? I guess you could point to iOS as still being "ahead", but hardware-wise, the test I give is "if it ran iOS, would I be more excited about the (insert "Note" "Galaxy" "Mate" "Pixel" etc. here), or the new iPhone? Almost every time I'd prefer the Android flagship hardware, running iOS of course.

Until that happens, it's a testament to how good iOS is that we all make hardware compromises (at least to some extent) to keep it =).

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
3GS.
Amazing piece of hardware fully focused on function not form.

I think they have been getting worse ever since

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
3GS.
Amazing piece of hardware fully focused on function not form.

I think they have been getting worse ever since

Just out of curiosity, what function was lost in the change to the 4?

I ask because I too loved my 3GS, but think the 4 was better in almost every way.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
The rest? I guess you could point to iOS as still being "ahead", but hardware-wise, the test I give is "if it ran iOS, would I be more excited about the (insert "Note" "Galaxy" "Mate" "Pixel" etc. here), or the new iPhone? Almost every time I'd prefer the Android flagship hardware, running iOS of course.
Just wondering, have you just inserted the Pixel in your list because it’s a flagship or are you genuinely interested in the Pixel hardware ? I’m asking because to me the Pixel hardware is dull and it lacks some key features other flagships have including the iPhone 8 and X.

In reality, I have never understood all the hype surrounding the Pixel 1/2, yeah I know they run stock Android and it’s smooth but the hardware is dull in comparison and to me is certainly not worth the price Google is asking, there are far better alternatives in the Android world.

Last edited:

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Just out of curiosity, what function was lost in the change to the 4?

I ask because I too loved my 3GS, but think the 4 was better in almost every way.

Glass back and poor reception for the sake of form over function. Also the 4s was the real high spot of that iteration. I thought my HTC Sensation was a better phone than the 4 in that it was much more functional.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
iPhone X will change the game for iPhone in ways never previously imagined possible.

It all starts with that incredible new bionic processor that has truly been engineered for the future. All older iPhones are going to age very quickly now; unable to keep up. I truly believe iPhone X is the worlds first pocketable Super Computer.

That stunning new edge-to-edge display will immerse you fully in all the content on screen. And those unbelievable cameras paired with Apple's innovative and uniquely delightful software, taking full advantage of all that incredible software - all our photography will never look better.

iPhone X is the perfect phone.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
4s. Second, 5. I loved the 6+ for the size, but it died early and had to be replaced. The replacement rocked, but the battery wore out eventually.

But, 4s. Nice, solid iPhone.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
It all starts with that incredible new bionic processor that has truly been engineered for the future. All older iPhones are going to age very quickly now; unable to keep up. I truly believe iPhone X is the worlds first pocketable Super Computer.

You mean the exact same bionic proccessor in the 8 and 8+

You need to look up the definition of a supercomputer.
[doublepost=1507337728][/doublepost]
That stunning new edge-to-edge display

You mean like a bunch of other already available phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.