what iphone would you say was the best iphone ever released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knockoutjosie, Oct 1, 2017.

1. pika2000 macrumors 68030

5 = QC issues. When I bought mine, the sides were heavily scuffed out of the box. Either the iPhone self-scuffed in its own box, or QC missed it.

It is also why the SE opted for a matte finish on the lips so they are less likely to scuff/scratch

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Hardware spec yes.
    In terms of being “best” when you take the period it was released into account though, no.

And yes, it’s pretty bad if an iphone is inferior to its predecessor, hence the anger over the X.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Best iPhone in absolute terms? 8 Plus. And when the X comes out, the X (aside from the notch).

But relative to the times, I don't think any iPhone was as revolutionary as the first one. It was just a completely different experience compared to the Palm/Blackberry type phones that were popular at the time. I remember the first time I saw one, and played with one (my friend brought one to dinner), it just blew my mind away.

The most successful in terms of sales growth may have been the 4 or 4S IIRC. Lots of people loved it, but I failed to see anything special when Android started moving to large screens and LTE.

4. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

I think it makes a huge difference. I cannot believe how Apple obviously abandoned the simple principle of "form follows function" - weight wise. They just needed additional glass (weight) to create the new design.
    I have an Apple leather case, which weighs around 18grams (0.65 oz). Combined with the iPhone 8, the whole set feels like a brick.
    But, as I have stated in another thread (can't remember which one), I seem to be quite sensitive about the weight thing and it is definitely not an issue for most users, as the majority of people even prones to the (7.1 oz) 8 Plus models. Combine this with an even heavier Apple leather case and you end up with the weight of a small water bottle. I genuinely don't want that for my handset - even though I understand and like the benefits of the Plus line.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

What does that even mean?

6. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

Gonna go with the original.

It was a very large departure from the touchscreen phones of the time, and popular phones in general.

After that I'm going with the SE, a breath of fresh air in a land of big gawdy tablet phones.

7. xsimplyjosh macrumors regular

I think primarily those who use a tablets can opt for the smaller phone. Like an iPhone 7/8 or iPhone SE since they are spending alot on an ipad already... but those who want a hybrid solution ie phablet n one device would be ahppy with the Plus models,

Again it all depends on personal user and what they want to use
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    Im almost tempted to buy a 128GB se now frm the 7 plusthat its dirt cheap but also havent been using much of the phone alone... portrait mode infrequently use it, as much as i like it... and still get top notch ios performance for its software etc in a sexy small factor

that is hard to justify the extra 800-900+Aud for the slightly larger sizes... idk tbh lol i had that in mind literally while they announced the 8 and 8+ and X i felt abit confuses by the keynote entirely....

But then im having the remorse what if they do smt nic with the flagships
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    On topic: if best iPhone imo i think its ranked top :

1st: iPhone 6S lineup (nice leap in cpu and gpu performance the thing that made me buy an iPhone n love it over android)
    2nd: iPhone 7/7+
    3rd: iPhone 8/8+
    4th: iPhone X
    5th: iPhone 6/6+. Bendgate and not much jump over iPhone 5s. Felt like a larger screen to be honest with almost same performance... nothing worth dumping money over.

Imo apple was on peak when it was iPhone SE and iOs9 imo. Anyting lower had too many compromises. IOS9 was when apple made great atrides which is why i havent quoted 5s etc n below and put 6/6+ below lowest due to the marginal improvement. Also cos i nv use iPhone 5s n lower hence idk how to rate them personally. First iPhone was a 6s+ then the 7+

Now apple is making large strides over a9 a10 n a11 literally it is seeing light

8. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

I have an SE and a Cellular Mini 4 for all the phabletting stuff, fits in my bag just like a Plus phone would, and means my pocket is freed up not having to carry a big phone around. Only problem with the SE is that because its best feature is how small it is, so I don't keep it in a case - I've broken the screen twice

9. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

7 Plus for me, maybe the 8 as I haven't seen one in person. I love the matte black of the 7 though.

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Matte Black has always been a very popular color. Makes you wonder why they don't make it a standard. :(

11. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Unfortunately we can't have wireless charging without the glass. Glass = no matte.

12. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

Does wireless charging require glass on the back?

13. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

It requires not metal. Plastic, Wood, Glass would work...

14. PeterRollback macrumors regular

I would have to go on this order:
    1. iPhone 4S - Loved what Siri could do!
    2. iPhone 6/+ - loved the new screen sizes with Apple Pay
    3. iPhone 5 - The taller screen had me!
    4. iPhone 7 + - Dual Lenses is a big deal to me haha
    5. iPhone 5s - Only because I had dreamed of finger scanning technology for years.

I like the iPhone X but I don't think its for me yet. I think I'll wait for version 2.0, besides, my 7+ works great.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The biggest change from what was previously available on the market would have been the original iPhone. Other than that obviously the newest iPhone is always going to be the best.

16. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

17. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

My first iPhone was the iPhone 3G, so that hold a special place for me. Sure it wasn’t the best, and it did not have the perfect everything, but it was a great Phone. With that in mind here’s my rankings

1. iPhone 3Gs
    2. iPhone 5s
    3. iPhone 7
    4. iPhone 4s
    5. iPhone 6s
    6. iPhone

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

The current ones.

If your asking what was best in terms of the retrospective environment at launch time that is a different question. Maybe the 4, but it was a slow phone even at launch.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Probably 4. I know it had issues, but the user facing camera was really the last great iPhone innovation

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'd say Touch ID is a great innovation. It fundamentally changed the way I use my phone and actually made some tasks easier on the phone than on a Mac, which I'd never experienced before.

21. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Best of best for their time?
    Just best, then rank from present to oldest.

Best for time.
    5/5s LTE and bigger screen
    3gs 3g
    6/6s bigger form factor, better cameras
    4/4s siri, nice form factor Hold back, no LTE (others had) antenna gate
    1 influential, but slow cell speeds, no app store
    7/8 (aka 7s)
    3g

22. x34 macrumors 6502

iphone 4s black
    iphone 5s space grey / iphone SE
    iphone 7+ matte black.

rest: not exciting at all.

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Doesn't have to be glass. There are a lot of phones out there with wireless charging built in.
    Now ceramic would have been cool.

24. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Ah okay I thought it had to be glass. I guess I just knew aluminum wouldn’t work.

25. zedsdead macrumors 68040

(1) iPhone 4s - most stable and advanced for its time
    (2) iPhone 7 - jet black specifically cause it was grippy, amazing camera (plus)
    (3) iPhone 5s - Touch ID. Huge. iOS 7 was a cool design but had many issues.
    (4) iPhone 6s - boring update but a solid phone
    (5) iPhone 6 - bigger screens but felt sluggish
    (6) iPhone 4 - amazing design but I had many antennae issues
    (7) iPhone - loved the original. Cool being one of the only people with it.
    (8) iPhone 3GS - phone finally felt fast with a decent camera
    (9) iPhone 3G - felt like a backwards step in design to me. But loved GPS and 3G speeds
    (10) iPhone 5 - overall the battery was poorer than the 4s and the software was a step too far. Never liked this phone

5c would be a tad better than than 5 cause it had better battery, and I don’t own the 8 yet. The X has some potential to be one of the best, but we of course shall see.