What is your favorite season

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Sep 20, 2015.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was talking with my wife a while ago and this topic came up.

I have to say that Autumn is my favorite time of the year. I absolutely love the cooler weather, the leaves changing and all that is fall.

We recently talked about moving to Florida (nothing serious just doing a fun what-if type of conversation), what we both realized is that we'd miss this time of year.

I'm planning a camping trip next month just so I can fully enjoy the weather :D

So what is your favorite time of year and why?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Same here for the same reasons.

I also love the crisp days and evenings with low humidity. Makes for enjoying the outdoors even better.

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Autumn as well. Not too hot. Not too cold.

Sadly, I don't really notice the leaves as much as I should.

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

5. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I love every season except summer. The latter just means heat, humidity and horseflies where I live and I genuinely hate it. As Galactic Emperor Pollaxe the First, I'd ban summer.

Autumn is lovely, the cooler days and nights, the beauty of the leaves changing. We live in the countryside so I also look forward to hearing the stags calling through the woods around us. Most importantly, we get back the hour they steal from us in spring.

I love winter and everything it brings; the darker nights, frost and snow. Spring has all the sense of life returning, the fresh greenery of the plants but I know as May rushes into June, the horseflies will be back.

I managed to dodge the heatwave we had this summer by heading off to Norway on honeymoon. It was blissfully cool, there. :)

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm here because I saw the title and thought of the TV show "Community" (TV was on my mind, since iMBD is down, atm). I thought the OP was being clever since the thread title was vague and we're in the 'Community' forum as well...

Back on topic. I actually had a conversation about this this morning actually. I actually like the transitory few weeks around end of Winter and start of Spring (same goes for Summer-Autumn) as everything is moving from the extremes back into a balance of daylight/night and perfect temperate weather that you can stay outside for as long as you want without being too warm or cold.

Eastern Australia, btw.

7. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

used to be summer, now the fall. definitely the cooler weather and longer daylight evenings...

8. Scepticalscribe, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I understand the posts made by many from the US, but, on this, I'm with @Gutwrench. As I come from the British Isles, where the very thought of summer sometimes is a wild impossible dream and longed for fantasy, - as we can have very wet summers - I have to say that I love spring, summer and - yes, early autumn.

On the other hand, I loathe and detest winter, and would happily abolish it, migrate, emigrate, or hibernate if that option existed. Those long nights, light deprivation, damp miserable depressing and energy sapping cold. Brrrr.

9. rdowns, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fall, hands down. Cooler weather, football, the return of Mallomars, still light out until 7ish, new TV shows. As a matter of a fact, the only negative thing about fall is pumpkin spice everything.

EDIT: Added Mallomars.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Autumn used to be my favorite. When I first moved to the shallow, er, deep south I missed it a lot. None of that bite in the air when you step out in the morning, none of the majesty in the color of the leaves. But I realized that gradually I missed autumn less than I didn't miss winter (if that makes sense).

Since there really is no fall here, and we are pretty much limited to 6 random days of winter, seasons work differently here. There's summer, of course - but let's face it, summer is summer wherever you are. It's hot. It can be humid. Bright sunny skies can be found in the dead of winter, and some of the best beach days here are in October.

Where am I going with this? I'm just meandering. And the season is unimportant in the grand scheme of things. It's what you make of it.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Late fall is just great. Early winter is great, too.

In Austin, November-December is a fantastic time of year. In Chicago, Thanksgiving to Christmas is wonderful, but you have to go through the next 2+ months of winter.

12. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

13. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

14. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

I hate summer and high temperatures (everything over 25C). I love winter and i like the late autumn and early spring too. :)

It's weird almost all my friends love the summer and hate the colder months. I can't understand how someone likes hot days when you can barely breathe outside (in almost all July/August we have hot days with 33-35 degrees and it goes to 40 sometimes).

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Actually I like every season except fall. Fall seems depressing to me for some reason.

Spring, it's like a new beginning to life.
    Summer, I can get naked.
    Winter, ski season.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to prefer Winter but now I'm digging all seasons now.
    Spring for the showers and gradually increasing temperature. And new Have I Got News For You.
    Summer for the heat and storms.
    Autumn for the change in colours, the slightly more biting wind. And new Have I Got News For You.
    Winter for the potential for snow, and winding down in front of the fire at night.

17. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I like spring. Especially in May (except this year because the weather is messed up in 2015), where every day it's around 15-20 degrees, it's raining often, that's how I like it. Autumn seems to be too windy instead of wet how I like it. Winter in Montreal is an absolute hell, usually reaching -15 degrees, is very long, very cold, a lot of snow and snowstorms. Summer is my second favourite, but it's a bit warm still.

18. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

20. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Blasphemy!:p Everyone knows April is the best month of the best season. Only youthful love can hold a candle to the uncertain glory of an April day.;) Ask Proteus.:D

22. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I am enjoying winter more because it seems we're getting more snow than we've ever had here. These days I enjoy the very end of it though. It looks prettier when you have a clear blue sky versus a dull gray one. It usually feels crisp during the day anyway, but having the sun out is great too.

23. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Fall is the best in my opinion. The crisp air has such a unique and pleasing feel for me. Plus of course football... :D

24. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I like all equally - probably spring (first birds and plants) if I had to choose. Since my last name is Winter I grew a irrational soft spot for that season. Would probably hate it otherwise.. :D