Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Just watched The Iron Giant (1999). Set in 1957 Maine during the Cold War. The movie is about a boy named Hogarth who discovers a giant metal robot one day and forms a friendship with him. I absolutely loved it. A very touching and funny movie with great messages: "You are what you choose to be", "Don't care what anyone else thinks", "Souls don’t die; all good things go on forever and ever." I love animated movies, but I've never seen this one before today. I've heard about it but this was my first time watching it.

Fantastic movie. Beautiful traditional 2D animation, fantastic story, just works on so many levels. It was directed and original story/concept by Brad Bird of The Incredibles - the guy knows how to direct animated feature films that deal with timeless ideas like family, trust (and unfounded distrust), etc.

My little girl loves this movie! :)

----------

Last night I watched District 9. I had heard a lot about it, and although it wasn't what I was expecting, it was a really good movie. I thought the main character's transformation was just like Jeff Goldblum's in The Fly, but really the story was about his character changes.

I will probably watch it again.

Hahaha, we saw this at the Universal City Walk (Orlando) theater that sells adult beverages, and at the time they were doing these Harry Potter themed drinks - so big, tasty sweet, lots of alcohol ... we both sort of missed the middle hour :D

(we’ve seen it since, excellent movie, bought this one)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last night I watched District 9. I had heard a lot about it, and although it wasn't what I was expecting, it was a really good movie. I thought the main character's transformation was just like Jeff Goldblum's in The Fly, but really the story was about his character changes.

I will probably watch it again.

The Flyremake, just creeped the hell out of me. It was disgustingly good but I've never purchased the title. Even the original seriously bothered me. Help meeeeeeeee! :p

the-fly-1950.jpg

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The Flyremake, just creeped the hell out of me. It was disgustingly good but I've never purchased the title. Even the original seriously bothered me. Help meeeeeeeee! :p

Transformation movies usually do not bug me, but I still haven't seen Cronenberg's remake. The trailer was enough for me to say no damn way.

I couldn't stand District 9 or Elysium, but I understand why Sharlto Copley is popping up in other films. Blomkamp is too heavy handed in the preachy department for me. I prefer subtle messages in genre films if you catch the message, great, if not, just enjoy. I'll check out Copley in future roles, Blomkamp's films, probably not.

Watched Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things for the first time in forever the other night. Boy that was bad. Even on my schlock-o-meter that was bad and I love low budget trash.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
The wife and I saw Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Lots of fun! :)

Just saw it today -- it was MUCH better than I expected. I went in knowing nothing about Guardians, aside from the previews I saw a year ago. Very much enjoyed the movie, and looking forward to more.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Was sick the last days so had time to watch some films. Rather bad ones tbh.

Frankenstein's Army which was as poor a horror flic as its title suggests. Edge of Terror / The Wind from the 80s I think, ok but won't see it twice. Some Lenzi flic that I forgot the name of, played in Barcelona and Sidges containing some really nice location spots but nothing really remarkebly. Kazmac may have seen it.

Well, let's see...the second Hobbit movie which I found surprisingly entertaining. Since we all know it really isn't about being faithful to the spirit of the book beforehand I still find it (both movies up to now) much more enjoyable than the LoTRs ones. CGI wasn't bad but you still notice it almost every darn time and the obvious artificiality is very distracting to me. Less is more.

Best of the bunch by far was Monster's University which provided some really good laughs. The best medicine there is. :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I haven't seen the remake, but I like the original and it always gave me chills at the end there too!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The Purge: Anarchy - Well, it kind of failed as a horror movie, because this wasn't scary, at all... And I found the main characters to be pretty annoying (esp the daughter). But I do think the story was better than last year's The Purge, as it's interesting to see things play out on a bigger scale.

Also watched a romcom with the gf, About Last Night (2014 Remake). Ugh, what can I say. :rolleyes: Kevin Hart is not funny. I'm not a fan of his, nor of this movie.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I got around to watching Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine. As per usual with Woody, the script was amazing, and the performances were unreal. Deeply depressing drama, and a remarkable performance by Cate Blachett.

71XsC--9m-L._SL1500_.jpg

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Was sick the last days so had time to watch some films. Rather bad ones tbh.

Frankenstein's Army which was as poor a horror flic as its title suggests. Edge of Terror / The Wind from the 80s I think, ok but won't see it twice. Some Lenzi flic that I forgot the name of, played in Barcelona and Sidges containing some really nice location spots but nothing really remarkebly. Kazmac may have seen it.

Well, let's see...the second Hobbit movie which I found surprisingly entertaining. Since we all know it really isn't about being faithful to the spirit of the book beforehand I still find it (both movies up to now) much more enjoyable than the LoTRs ones. CGI wasn't bad but you still notice it almost every darn time and the obvious artificiality is very distracting to me. Less is more.

Best of the bunch by far was Monster's University which provided some really good laughs. The best medicine there is. :D

Yeah, Frankenstein's Army was spectacularly awful even for a bad film. The only Lenzi I've seen are late 60s/early 70s crime/kind of gialli. Oh and maybe one Cannibal film eons ago, but all the titles escape me. Lenzi does not linger the way so many Italian directors seem to with me. Haven't seen the one you're talking about. :(

Glad you're liking the Hobbit films. I kind of do and will probably pony up for the digital EE of DoS if there isn't any additional nonsense with Tauriel. And I'll probably see the last Hobbit film theatrically, if especially if there is a new Mad Max Fury Road trailer attached. :D

Monster's University was cute.

Glad you're feeling better.

I know I've seen some movies since my last post, but I do not remember what they were.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Well, let's say I enjoy the rollercoaster Hobbit ones more than the rollercoaster 'ring' ones. Same with the books - even when they butcher half of the story. I actually really did like the way Smaug was presented - not just visually.

Just finished Pacific Rim, didn't like it. :D

Btw. Kazmac, did you ever read Frankenstein? It just happens that I never did until my holidays this year and was in for quite a pleasant surprise! Utterly loving it! Mary Shelley's bio is remarkably as well...

...just got me the Branagh version feat DeNiro. Don't think it'll be that good but I believe it's the closedt adaption to the novel. We'll see..

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
"Guardians of the Galaxy" was good and entertaining but a tad formulaic.

"Lucy" was on par with "Limitless" and had some very interesting editing.

Both thumbs up.

:)

TomHardyy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
Shutter Island, Inception are some the most amazing movies i have ever watch. Excellent stories and amazing graphics

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
My pleasure!:D

Been real busy lately but managed to watch Citizen Kane last night. I was completely blown away by the cinematography, some scenes left me feeling punch drunk, a few of them i had to re-watch. The humor in it was great as well. What a film! I'm going to continue on down your list.
thx

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Been real busy lately but managed to watch Citizen Kane last night. I was completely blown away by the cinematography, some scenes left me feeling punch drunk, a few of them i had to re-watch. The humor in it was great as well. What a film! I'm going to continue on down your list.
thx

I'm so glad you enjoyed Citizen Kane. The cinematographer, Greg Toland, and Welles, originated camera techniques and angles never before used, which have become part of the standard language of cinema. The use of deep focus, which allows both foreground and background to be in focus (where in the past there needed to be a focus shift between foreground and background) allowed for some incredible shots in the huge rooms of Xanadu, and the long hallway shot as well as the multiple mirror shot.

Also, the use of low angle shots, first used in this film, created an interesting problem. Prior to Kane, only straight on and crane shots were used, so the indoor sets never had ceilings...just 2 or 3 walls. When Toland and Welles wanted to use low angle shots for a specific effect, it also required, for the first time, that the sets have ceilings!

The low angle shot is now a standard shot angle, often used to create a feeling of power or menace. It expanded the cinematographer's and director's repertoire to allow camera angles to tell part of the story.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
thx

Citizen Kane is a fantastic movie!

Yes, what a film. Outstanding. Superlative. Gripping, and spell-binding - simply brilliant.

Actually, to me, it was the cinematic equivalent of 'Wuthering Heights', which I wrote about in the books thread.

This was a movie (as 'Wuthering Heights' had been such a book) that I had heard - and read - so much about that when I finally got the opportunity to see it (at a university art house cinema club oh, a few decades ago) I feared that it would not live up to its reputation. In both cases, the reality far surpassed the positive reports I had received.

I'm so glad you enjoyed Citizen Kane. The cinematographer, Greg Toland, and Welles, originated camera techniques and angles never before used, which have become part of the standard language of cinema. The use of deep focus, which allows both foreground and background to be in focus (where in the past there needed to be a focus shift between foreground and background) allowed for some incredible shots in the huge rooms of Xanadu, and the long hallway shot as well as the multiple mirror shot.

Also, the use of low angle shots, first used in this film, created an interesting problem. Prior to Kane, only straight on and crane shots were used, so the indoor sets never had ceilings...just 2 or 3 walls. When Toland and Welles wanted to use low angle shots for a specific effect, it also required, for the first time, that the sets have ceilings!

The low angle shot is now a standard shot angle, often used to create a feeling of power or menace. It expanded the cinematographer's and director's repertoire to allow camera angles to tell part of the story.

I also loved the multiple narrator technique, the fake news reel, the portrayal of the wonderfully obvious idiocy of the media, the portrayal of the disintegration of Kane's marriage, and how the movie conveyed the passage of time in a few swift but superbly shot sequences. Brilliant.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I watched Sabotage last night. It really wasn't that good. Bad plot, bad acting, every other word was the f-bomb. I can see why it is at 20% on RottenTomatoes.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
The previews for this movie really interested me. Glad to hear some positive feedback from someone who has seen it. I'll have to check it out.

Im a sports nut, and I like movies/documentaries/series that gives me a behind the scenes look at things like being a GM for example. Its a bit over the top, which I understand because its a movie, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless. The only thing that I didn't like was seeing Costner and Jennifer Garner in a relationship, it was just creepy for me for some reason.

Acerone

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
I got around to watching Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine. As per usual with Woody, the script was amazing, and the performances were unreal. Deeply depressing drama, and a remarkable performance by Cate Blachett.

I was bored one day and had nothing to watch then came on this movie. I don't like Woody Allen but this one one great movie...

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.