Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
SB Revisit:

Duel of Fists (1971) not the vastly superior The Duel (featuring the same leads and director), but kind of goofy Muay Thai Boxing / family drama that needs a much better release than its received. Very much enjoyed the third act last night but parts still are :p...

Duel of Fists1.jpg

Apparently, I am off to see 1979's The Warriors in 35mm this Friday night. Outside of Escape from New York, Walter Hill's debut was my favorite 1970s/early 80s NYC has gone to utter hell genre movie. I will have to make a mental note if the title gang is forced to roam in the section of Brooklyn where the movie is being screened. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
From Beyond (1986)
uk-from-beyond.jpg

More 80's Lovecraftian madness...

Q-6
I had an H.P.Lovecraft affair with those books in college, he was incredibly before his time in the horror genre (early 20th century) with painting atmosphere, however many of those stories just did not deliver at their conclusions. I'm trying remember the ones that did deliver, but I'd have to research titles at this point. :oops:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I had an H.P.Lovecraft affair with those books in college, he was incredibly before his time in the horror genre (early 20th century) with painting atmosphere, however many of those stories just did not deliver at their conclusions. I'm trying remember the ones that did deliver, but I'd have to research titles at this point. :oops:

It's just his style, not one for big payoffs. More the devil in the details, I do like his style although not a massive fan, more a casual admirer. I find I like the audiobook renditions more these days, as getting Lovecraft right on film is so very difficult. Dagon (based on The Shadow over Innsmouth) still remains to be the best effort to date IMHO.

Currently listening to an excellent rendition of At the Mountains of Madness, enjoying the precise deliberation, detail & development, equally as ever with Lovecraft the journey is paramount, not the arrival :)

Been busy recently, back on the hunt for the interesting & obscure...

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's just his style, not one for big payoffs. More the devil in the details, I do like his style although not a massive fan, more a casual admirer. I find I like the audiobook renditions more these days, as getting Lovecraft right on film is so very difficult. Dagon (based on The Shadow over Innsmouth) still remains to be the best effort to date IMHO.

Currently listening to an excellent rendition of At the Mountains of Madness, enjoying the precise deliberation, detail & development, equally as ever with Lovecraft the journey is paramount, not the arrival :)

Been busy recently, back on the hunt for the interesting & obscure...

Q-6
I was thinking The Mountans of Madness or Call of Cthulhu, but not sure. Those names ring a bell. :)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I was thinking The Mountans of Madness or Call of Cthulhu, but not sure. Those names ring a bell. :)

On the subject of Lovecraft's fiction: I enjoyed The Outsider very much. Thought the pay off was fantastic (and foreshadows the whole zombie thing nicely.) I enjoyed Lovecraft in my teens and early twenties (thanks to movies like Re-Animator and From Beyond), but I'd rather read/watch Robert E. Howard now. :p

Reactions: Queen6 and Huntn

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Sat and watched "Moana" with the fam. Good Disney flick. One of the best they've done in recent years. Good story, art and music. Loved Dwayne Johnson as Maui. Even as a voice actor he's tops.

r_moana_header_poststreet_mobile_bd574a31.jpeg

Reactions: obeygiant

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Get Out, 2017

TOMATOMETER
99%
Average Rating: 8.3/10
Reviews Counted: 260
Fresh: 259
Rotten: 1

v1.bTsxMjMyMjQzNDtqOzE3MzMyOzEyMDA7NTk3Ozk0Ng

Brilliant, funny, shocking, flips (and flips again) race perspective - Jordon Peele (of Key& Peele) knocked it out of the park, including financially, with $200M worldwide from a $5M budget. Scored a cheap code (less than a rental), figured it would get at least one re-watch with director commentary, also watched the alternate ending which is a *huge* difference in tone and impact.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The War Wagon (1967)- One of my favorite Westerns, about a rancher, framed, jailed, and land stolen, for the gold ...and he wants to equal the score. No, not great, but entertaining with an outstanding ensemble cast, led by the Duke and Kirk Douglass. No critical comments of John Wayne allowed. I get enough of that from my wife. :p Filmed in Mexico, nice sound track.

I'm interested how Douglass managed all those flying leaps onto the back of horses, wondering if he had a trampoline of it was a stunt double, but you can see his face clearly on a couple of those leaps. ;)

MV5BMGYyYTdkMzgtYmEzNi00YWFmLWE1MjAtYWE0OTYyODQ4MTU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_.jpg

Trivia: Wayne was 60, Douglass was 51. Another favorite movie where these two actors collaborated was In Harms Way (1965)

Last edited:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Saw three movies in the last week. Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, which I thought was just stupid, the new Pirates movie which was boring and just awful, and today saw Baywatch which was freaking hilarious. Much better than I was expecting.

Reactions: pachyderm

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Saw three movies in the last week. Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, which I thought was just stupid, the new Pirates movie which was boring and just awful, and today saw Baywatch which was freaking hilarious. Much better than I was expecting.
Thank you. Baywatch is on my list to stream. :)
[doublepost=1496019097][/doublepost]
The War Wagon (1967)- One of my favorite Westerns, about a rancher, framed, jailed, and land stolen, for the gold ...and he wants to equal the score. No, not great, but entertaining with an outstanding ensemble cast, led by the Duke and Kirk Douglass. No critical comments of John Wayne allowed. I get enough of that from my wife. :p Filmed in Mexico, nice sound track.

I'm interested how Douglass managed all those flying leaps onto the back of horses, wondering if he had a trampoline of it was a stunt double, but you can see his face clearly on a couple of those leaps. ;)

MV5BMGYyYTdkMzgtYmEzNi00YWFmLWE1MjAtYWE0OTYyODQ4MTU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_.jpg

Trivia: Wayne was 60, Douglass was 51. Another favorite movie where these two actors collaborated was In Harms Way (1965)

I decided I needed a BluRay copy of this movie. Note Amazon $24, Best Buy $9.99+$4 shipping. Best Buy wins for a change. :):)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like quite a lot of people have the opposite reaction to the new Guardians movie and Baywatch. I guess just shows that you can't really know for sure.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Seems like quite a lot of people have the opposite reaction to the new Guardians movie and Baywatch. I guess just shows that you can't really know for sure.

Wasn't terribly impressed by Guardians 2, Baywatch will be giving a miss. watched Trainspotting T2, tremendously difficult original film to follow up on. Watch the original and "choose life" T2 is ok, however just not on the same level as Trainspotting, equally we've all moved on some, well one hopes :)

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, Memorial Day weekend, it had to be The Longest Day or In Harms Way (1965)- All star cast, led by John Wayne and Kirk Douglass. Although I was not around for WWII, it feels like a very nostalgic portrayal of WWII USN culture. Although not elaborate by any means, as part of the story, my favorite (if that is an appropriate term) depiction of the Pearl Harbor attack, 6 Dec 1941, although that's the beginning of the movie. Douglass does a super job of portraying a troubled soul. Burgess Meridith plays one of my favorite characters in the movie and I have a continued crush on Paula Prentiss. :)

MV5BYmZkZGRiMzgtYmQzNi00NjgyLTlhMDMtZGE0OTQ5MDY1ZWNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_.jpg

PaulaPrentiss.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I watched The Longest Day earlier today. I watched Spies Like Us last night. Different from what I remember...

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
@Huntn I'm trying to remember this old 1980s flick that was an action comedy. In one scene the guy or one of the supporting actors pulls out a revolver with a very long barrel and says it's only legal in two states or something along those lines.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

How did Paul McCartney do in the Pirates film? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.