What Movie Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Huntn, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Yes, but it is still a remake of the original, and I called it the 2017 remake, referencing the original, although I did not spell that out. :)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2019 ---
    I still have Stranger Tides (4) and Dead Men Tell No Tales (5) to go.

2. Zenithal macrumors 603

Yeah, but as I pointed out, the 2017 remake is as close as you can get to the supernatural horror of the '32 film. The 1999 version isn't close to it. The market for these films isn't there right now, which is why the studio suspended production of remaking the old horror films from the 20s-30s. The upcoming downturn should also hamper it. I think we'll see more films out of Disney catering to a wide assortment mostly because they can afford it and because people love those types of movies.

Yeah, I saw Stranger Tides and it was the last one. I remember catching it when it became available to rent. I watched the first three films at the end of 2009 or beginning of 2010.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Have to say, while I really enjoyed the first one, the others just didn't do much for me.

4. Zenithal macrumors 603

The one with the heart stuck in the piano or whatever it was wasn't my favorite.

5. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Coraline
    Beautifully terrifying. Highly recommended.
    [​IMG]

6. iTurbo macrumors regular

I watched the original Manchurian Candidate movie last night. I enjoyed it very much and especially liked Frank Sinatra and Angela Lansbury’s performances. I’m going to watch the newer version with Denzel Washington and Meryl Streep next.

Movies that I want to watch next:
    The Outsiders
    Drugstore Cowboy
    Anything with Clint Eastwood
    The Dark Tower (I read the books)
    The Big Lebowski (believe it or not I have never seen this)

7. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

That would be fine with me. Although I really like it the first one wasn't that good IMHO.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Spoilers if you have not seen it.

The interesting thing about At World’s End, at least to me is the concept of life and death, with some form of Limbo placed in between. What I was not exactly clear about is why the need to rescue Capt Jack, ie, bring him back to this world because he was such a good guy? That is how they made it sound at the end of Dead Man’s Chest, but in actuality, they needed his piece of eight, that each of the pirate lords possessed to free Calypso to help defeat the Flying Dutchman, manned by Davey Jones, which she does partially by creating a malestrum, which ends up sucking the Flying Dutchman down, at least for that battle, and maybe this returns them back to our world?

In this sequence, Will Turner is fatally wounded by Davey Jones, but before he dies with the help of Jack Sparrow, he stabs Davey Jones’s Heart, the one in the chest, and gains the eternal shadow life of skipper of the Flying Dutchman, whose purpose is to ferry souls to the underworld and also relieving his Father from an existence being tormented by Jones.

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

You cannot beat Neil Gaiman for a quality story!

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Moonstruck. First of a couple annual re-watches, if old patterns continue on for me.

I like Cher's character in that movie and how she carries the role, and I love that wacky collection of dogs her grandfather has. Throw in some glorious Puccini and the fact that Janet Maslin more or less dismissed the flick in her NYT review.... such a film couldn't help ending up one of the highest grossing films of 1987, even if or perhaps because Maslin's review got it close to right... :D

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/12/16/movies/film-moonstruck-with-italians-in-love.html

11. scubachap macrumors member

A brilliant film - Laika (the studio who made it) also did Paranorman (which I think is stunning and very underrated) along with Boxtrolls

12. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Paranorman is my favorite of the 4. Laika is my favorite animation studio today for sure. Hope you’ve seen Kubo too!

13. scubachap macrumors member

Nope - and thanks for the recommendation - I've just looked it up and will get it ASAP.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

My favorite movie of the year, bar none, is Roma. Clearly the best film of the year.

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2019 ---
    Also, the Dark Knight in HDR is kind of weird because it's still all pretty dark.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

They made a sweep at the Golden Globes! Might have to give it a shot.

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Interesting. Didn't expect "A Star is Born" to be swept, but I didn't like the movie, either.

17. Zenithal macrumors 603

Is this your way of saying you're entering fatherhood?

18. hawkeye_a, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Upgrade(2018)
    Finally a great new sci-fi movie. Awesome performance by the lead. Unique camera work, fitting score and a “realistic cyberpunk” look. F’in brilliant!
    [​IMG]

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I think the original MC was better, as is usually the case, although there are exceptions (The Thing 1982). :)

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Times (2011)- This movie broke the franchise. I watched about 40 minutes before clicking off. Just a little too cute starting with Jack Sparrow impersonating an English Judge and none of the real judge’s Court contemporaries noticing, along with a group of Pirates regulars who all convienemtly appear in London, for the movie of course. :(

21. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Never seen any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Don’t think I’ll change that.

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

The first 3, a trilogy, I found to be enjoyable with a good enough story that ties them together. Now some people dislike Jack Sparrow, including myself. He was a double crossing, free agent with no loyalties, other than to himself, but then he surprised me with a single good deed (I think). ;) When I look at his filmography list, these are the only movies I have enjoyed and rewatched.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The first one is excellent. I didn’t really like any of the others.

24. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I agree. I highly recommend the first one....'witty' and 'funny'. It's a shame that, IMHO the latter releases really diminished/damaged the brand/series....for me anyway. Disney being Disney i suppose.

25. max2 macrumors 68020

Thanks this was a really great low budget sci-fi! I was surprised!