What Movie Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Zenithal macrumors 604

Yes, I believe so. I recognized it because I've caught parts of it before. I ought to rent it out one of these days.

2. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I'll watch the Netflix this weekend. But yes, the scale of the deceit is just… mind blowing.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

The Longest Day (1962)- Wounds my heart with a monotonous langoure. Epic!

3FD60FF6-CF9C-45EA-BDA2-5A001EDBF079.jpeg

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

A classic.

5. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

6. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I watched some of that last night on TV. Looks to have been remastered. That was nice!

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Thinking to watch The Help again, to see if I view it any differently now that one of our southern states has elected to turn itself just about inside out again (with the help of some pols and the press, of course) over some thoroughly unresolved matters related to US history.

8. Huntn, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

My only critique is that this movie, while excellent was made during the age of sanitized death. Saving Private Ryan gave a more realistic picture of the horrors of war.

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Well, that was primarily because of the numerous censorship boards around the country who determined what could and could not be shown in theatres. The studios really had to keep everything toned down and as uncontroversial as possible. Now that we no longer have censorship boards, (having been replaced by the MPAA) they can get away with a lot more realism, but there's a ratings trade off for it.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I am familiar. :)

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Agreed. The opening 20 minutes of SPR is intense. Especially when viewed at the cinema.

12. daimos, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

daimos macrumors regular

While i agree it’s an oscar worthy film, i’ve never been in a battlefield to say how real the scenes are.
    Little trivia : Saving private ryan, Gladiator and maybe Mad Max are shot on lower frame rates during the “realistic scenes”.

13. Zenithal macrumors 604

Best film ever. It's my go to when I have the house to myself for a day. Chips and beer, and turn up the volume on the surround sound system and play the film.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Imo, not an argument, but you don’t have to be on a battlefield to see the realism of combat violence.

When two opposing forces are shooting, lobbing lethal projections at each other in mass on the battlefield, in a movie like TLD people are shot and fall over dead without blood and gore, or undue suffering in the process of dying. When they are blown up, they just do a flip in the air, they are not torn to pieces with all the requisite blood and guts.

For myself the most difficult scenes to watch in Saving Private Ryan were the portrayals of intense suffering. First was Vin Diesel shot by a sniper, followed by Tom Hank’s group of men try to fruitlessly save a fatally injured comrade. You end up either shaken, num, or detached from what you are watching.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I just hate how SS doesn’t respect his audience at all or even seem to understand the point of his own movie. We do not need to see Private Ryan all grown up with his huge family asking his wife if he had a good life to appreciate the sacrifice the soldiers made for him. That’s not the point of the story. It doesn’t matter if Ryan cured cancer after the war or being a loser drug addict and died of an OD a few years later. The point of the film is that soldiers follow orders no matter how stupid it may seem to them. Or how much danger they put themselves in for just one other guy. If you missed this, there is even a scene where Tom hanks is practically staring into the camera, saying this very thought because god forbid the director lets us come to this conclusion on our own by watching what the soldiers do. He says if saving this man means he gets to go home, then that’s what he will do. In other words, I do not question my orders, I follow them and finish the job.

16. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

The scene where the medic played by Giovanni Ribisi is shot and starts calling out for his mother before he dies is a scene I will probably never forget.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Tough to watch, but a great movie.

18. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

hmmm

The scene on the beach when he's trying to save that guy and they keep shooting him was stupid and he's yelling at the Germans, "Give us a chance!!". pfft. Why?

Strategy at the end also drives me nuts. I do like this film but I have to take it bits and pieces.

19. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Watched "The Wyrd Sisters" last night. A British animated version of Terry Pratchett's book of the same name. Very faithful to the book, but the animation was really terrible.If you're a fan take a watch.

20. hawkeye_a, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Nightcrawler(2014)
    I can’t believe I hadn’t heard about this movie before I saw your post. Great movie. One word description of Jake’s performance ... creepy. Love the style and color; very cyber-punk(i think?). It totally reminded me of Taxi Driver(1976). Cheers for the recommendation!

[​IMG]

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Sorry To Bother You

It’s on Hulu now. Very strange, original, funny movie.

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Polar (2019)- I could not get past the mountain of gratuitous violence, which does not entertain me, and I have a pretty good tolerance for violent stories. :)

23. Zenithal macrumors 604

I saw a clip of him in the tunnel using the guards as shields. I got a very strong John Wick vibe from that clip. I'll try it out, and I suspect I'll be bored with it like I was with the first two John Wick movies.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My wife and I could only watch the first episode of The Punisher on Netflix for the same reason. After watching it, we decided to move on to something else.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Watched The Grinch with the kids. Certainly better than the Jim Carey one but it doesn’t beat the classic one I grew up with.