What Movie Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Dave Meadows macrumors 68040

Dave Meadows

I liked it. I thought it was very “artfully” made. It was a little different to what I usually watch but parts of it were very powerful. I can see why it’s been nominated for awards.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I’ve got San Andreas on my DVR to watch. Another formulaic but good movie.

3. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

When I first saw Dan Gilroy's Nightcrawler (2014), I thought it was one of the best films I'd seen in quite a while. Since it's still pretty high up there, I was obviously very excited, and had high expectations to check out the new film by the "same team" (Gilroy, Rene Russo, Jake Gyllenhaal), Velvet Buzzsaw (2019), that just premiered on Netflix.

It wasn't as good. That's not to say it was bad, but I guess the aforementioned expectations I had going in in a way killed it for me, as I wasn't really watching it as a new film, but as some sort of successor to Nightcrawler. Which is dumb, as they basically share nothing besides the crew. But on the plus side, Buzzsaw has nice cinematography, and the actors do a fine job. The story is nothing new, but setting it in the art world does give the viewer (at least in my case) some interesting ways to look at the work artists do, how art is created and how it can impact people. And even if those ways are not entirely original, they're told in an entertaining way.

The one glaring fault would be that at two hours it's a bit long, as there was some fat that could have been trimmed to make the film more compact. But all in all, a pretty entertaining film.

4. a2jack macrumors member

a2jack

Roma. Many awards.

Great scene early on when she sits to watch TV with family,and is unthinkingly put in her place by mother.

Movie is so full of real life, and class interactions. Wife and I loved it.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Don't do it! 2 hours of my life I'll never be getting back!

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Doesn't seem like it:

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

It's not an easy watch but it's a great film.

8. Huntn, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Someone mentioned this recently, but I can’t locate the comment for Bad Times at the El Royale (2018). An intriguing off beat, crime drama story with interesting characters and incapsulated background stories, which will keep you wondering about what will happen next.

E49BB40C-01C9-40FE-BFA7-C07F86404188.png

Deadpool 2 (2018)- I had heard some negative things about the original 2016 movie (as far as a movie dedicated to Deadpool) so I missed it.

45FB7488-92C6-4E5C-A860-E60A7F4075C2.jpeg

After watching this sequel, I might have to watch it (the original), but reports seem to be, this is a better movie, and I enjoyed it. Totally irreverent to the “serious” X-Men movie, with multiple quips, I chuckled several times. Although it has a serious core story about love and loss, it is sprinkled with all sorts of profanity and gore, humor, including left wing humor such as:

“ Mission accomplished?” – Dopinder (Karan Soni)
    Well, in a George W. sort of way.” – Deadpool :)

Besides a tragic loss in Deadpool’s life, which makes him suicidal, Deadpool takes a brief shot at being an X-Man while suggesting that X-Force would be a better name for political correctness. However during a violent showdown at a mutant facility, with an angery, profane mutant kid (Firefist), he decides the kid is being abused by authorities and makes a decision as to the best way to handle it.

There are seemingly a multitude of relationships to other movies. They do mutant recruitment ala Mystery Men which is a favorite mutant movie, producing one of my favorite characters in the movie, Domino who possesses “probability altering” powers, in other words, besides being a bad ass, she is extraordinarily lucky, and Deadpool insists repeatedly that is not a power, but... wow.

Besides Deadpool, my other favorite character is Cable, and if they need someone ever to play a terminator remake in Arnold’s image, Josh Brolin would be it.

Good article describing the movie: https://moviereviewmaven.blogspot.com/2018/05/deadpool-2-is-over-top-with-surprising.html. Still I understand why this would not be everyone’s cup of tea.

R rated Trailer for language

9. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

Me?

I loved it.

10. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

The Sword in the Stone
    My favorite animated Disney movie :)

[​IMG]

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I searched on several variations of the movie title in this thread and it refused to pop up for me. :-/

12. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

@Huntn - I didn't post the title just the poster...

13. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Hell, some brutal fights there!
    When the film ended I was a bit lost and uncomfortable — WTF just happened?
    I would agree with your 8/10.

14. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

lol.

me too.

I really wanted them to be friends... oh well. :p

15. Markdc macrumors newbie

Markdc

Just watched Justice League.
    It was not worth watching although

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Yes, that’s it. :)

17. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

As @pachyderm pointed out, they only posted an image of the poster (Post). Therefore no trace will appear in the search. :)

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

The word “poster” initially struck me as referring to the individual who posted it, not a movie marquee. I corrected my response to him. Thanks. :)

19. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Some horrifying car crash viewing last night.

Fyre Fraud

[​IMG]

One of those occasions that I did not feel an iota of compassion towards any of the people involved.
    From the master fraudster putting it together, the thick-as-two-planks rapper who lends his name because **** yeah, the social media addicted FOMO Millennials who believe everything the "influencers" on Instagram tell them, the enablers, investors… they all had it coming.

O tempora o mores.

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

What is this about?

21. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

What is it about you ask? Short answer; the stupidity of our times…

Read all about it.

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

23. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

The Richard Harris one?
    That is a classic. Wildly plays fast and loose with the facts, but a classic none the less.
    Alec Guinness was an excellent Charles.

24. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I need to see this one as well. The one on Netflix was good, but I've read that this one is even more brutal.