Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The Frozen Ground

3/5
This was based on a true story of a serial killer in Alaska.
Starred Nick Cage and John Cusack.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Alone [2020]
EA5B1DF9-C7B5-4B66-8D94-D216BC0CB592.png

Indie films usually are extreme ‘hit or miss’, and I found this one by accident off of boot cloud and streamed it, and I was really impressed with the whole Perspective of how the director breaks up different parts of the movie with different titles. (You’ll see what I’m referring to when you watch it.)

Perfect Halloween movie, the narrative depicts a female who is abducted, escapes from her captor and then he attempts to track her down.

‘No name’ movie cast, no CGI, great acting here with the right amount of suspense, decent musical score to add to the suspense throughout.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Clue (1985) by Jonathan Lynn.
A true comedy/murder-mystery classic. Great ending, great characters, great acting, lots of fun. I watched this many times (in two languages) and it still holds. This is a must watch movie in my opinion.
[Added bonus: Yvette.]

32741787_so.jpg

Reactions: millerj123

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Had time to lounge on the couch last night because I couldn't sleep.

Watched Midsommar (2019) again last night. First time since I saw it since seeing it at the movies, and it was still as amazing as the first time. Possibly, as an experience, even a bit better since there was some time to really soak in the plentiful visuals and keep an eye out for all the various easter eggs, clues and such sprinkled around. Still haven't managed to get my paws on the director's cut, but that's something that will be a project for another day.

The last time I saw Christine (1983) was, if memory serves, sometime in the early 90's. I was a voracious Stephen King reader (still am, but not quite to that degree anymore), and I remember thinking that a story about a killer car must be all kinds of fun. And the movie was. Now? Still fun, but maybe not quite as much anymore? Directed by John Carpenter, who also co-composed the great, and very familiar sounding soundtrack with Alan Howarth. An enjoyable 100 minutes, even if in large part for nostalgic reasons.

The last of the bunch was a Japanese cinematic gem called Tetsuo (1989). A different kind of a story about an iron man, this one. Completely bonkers, wonderful, fun, amazing and bonkers once more. Still need to see, and get the sequels Body Hammer and Bullet Man. Fun fact, Tetsuo was very likely on of the first DVD's I ever ordered from the internet. How the time flies.

Reactions: D.T. and pachyderm

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Watched Midsommar (2019) again last night. First time since I saw it since seeing it at the movies, and it was still as amazing as the first time. Possibly, as an experience, even a bit better since there was some time to really soak in the plentiful visuals and keep an eye out for all the various easter eggs, clues and such sprinkled around. Still haven't managed to get my paws on the director's cut, but that's something that will be a project for another day.

Beautiful, beautiful movie all around. From the pacing, to the acting, to the soundtrack, to the plot, to the themes. An outstanding movie. I am very glad I watched it at the theatre. I still remember how uncomfortable THAT long scene (you know which one) was, and yet how much I wanted to laugh.

Reactions: Mefisto

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Beautiful, beautiful movie all around. From the pacing, to the acting, to the soundtrack, to the plot, to the themes. An outstanding movie. I am very glad I watched it at the theatre. I still remember how uncomfortable THAT long scene (you know which one) was, and yet how much I wanted to laugh.

Agreed on everything. And yeah, I know the scene you're talking about and had, and apparently still have the exact same reaction to it. Must be some sort of a psychological defense mechanism.

• Haha
Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The Inner Circle (1946) by Philip Ford.
A forgettable noir/murder-mystery. The movie starts well, then it quickly becomes boring. Good acting by Adele Mara.

the-inner-circle-1946.jpg

Reactions: pachyderm

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Killing them Softly [2012]
8BB3070F-3440-4316-A006-0A970EFF233E.jpeg

Pitt. Gandolfini. Liotta.

Could you possibly ask for any better actors in a mobster hit movie? I think not.😁

This is a ‘slow burner‘ of a film though, and shows the history of events of tracking down two individuals who are responsible for robbing a mob-related card game.

Brad Pitt is one of those ‘love or hate’ him type of actors, but I always think he is so natural with his acting and doesn’t really seem to feel like he has to ‘over act‘, which I think gives him that mellowed vibe to him. He really is the star of this movie, even though it does have a great supporting cast.

Reactions: mikzn

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
MV5BNjQ3NWNlNmQtMTE5ZS00MDdmLTlkZjUtZTBlM2UxMGFiMTU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. My youngest decided to binge-watch the series. I'm okay with that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Jennifers Body [2009]
22F96576-499A-4407-9C3B-3AC91AF9AE7E.jpeg

Continuing on with the Halloween theme.I like this movie, some might consider this a ‘chick flick‘.... I don’t. I’d consider this film a ‘Halloween Chick-flick?😁

So think of the ‘Mean girls’ (movie) vibe to it and then add in a scary element, this is what Jennifers body is.

I’d explain the plot, but it’s better to watch it for yourself, which I actually think it’s entertaining, funny on some aspects and decently well done. I don’t consider Megan Fox to be an ‘A-list actress’, but she is gorgeous.

Reactions: Queen6
Brad Pitt is one of those ‘love or hate’ him type of actors, but I always think he is so natural with his acting and doesn’t really seem to feel like he has to ‘over act‘, which I think gives him that mellowed vibe to him. He really is the star of this movie, even though it does have a great supporting cast.
Yeah, that is definitely accurate. I really thought he did an excellent job in Moneyball:

Besides Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill was excellent also. But I found out something today that I did not know (as the old saying goes, you learn something new everyday). Chris Pratt played Scott Hatteberg. I certainly did not catch that before, even though I have watched the movie at least 3 times.

Another interesting aspect about Moneyball is that the part played by Jonah Hill was completely different than anything he had played before. But he played the part of Peter Brand perfectly. That also re-kindled something I've thought about quite often: actors/actresses who played parts that they were not known for, but still did a superb job. Three that jump out for me are:

1. Harrison Ford as Detective John Book in "Witness":

Up to then Ford had done the Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark movies. His role in "Witness" was completely different.

2. Robin Willians as Dr. Malcolm Sayer in "Awakenings":

Again, a completely different kind of role for him, as he was primarily known for comedic roles.

3. Same movie, Robert De Niro as Leonard Lowe in "Awakenings":

De Niro, up until then, had played in numerous "tough guy" movies, but nothing like this! And that scene shows both Williams and Di Nero together.

Would like to hear some more from other folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm and mikzn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@honestone33

I just started Moneyball a few weeks ago and forgot to finish it. I’ve heard good things. I’ve always been a Brad Pitt fan, he usually has the same acting style throughout most of his films, with the exception of ‘Fight club’ being a complete psycho in a perfectly suitable manner for his character.😁

Reactions: mikzn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Conjuring [2013]
A37B5F9B-4B08-4D1E-B911-FBBA0CCE39D2.jpeg

Halloween theme continued:

Scary movies are hard to actually make ‘scary’ sometimes as I said before in this thread, and this movie is actually scary. If you like ‘The Exorcist’ (Can you really like the Exorcist, though?), then you certainly will like this one. I’m a fan of James Wan being a director, [He’s also behind the Insidious series.]

One actor I don’t think that ever gets mentioned enough in this industry is Patrick Wilson. He’s just very articulate and believable in his roles, (and he also stars in the Insidious movies) and I can see why James Wan drafted him through-out multiple films. Vera Farmiga is Also great actress. (See ‘The Departed’ being one of her star roles.)

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The Lighthouse (2019) by Robert Eggers.
Talk about strange movies! Great acting by both Pattinson and Dafoe, I truly enjoyed this tale of descent into madness. I found the story and the setting very Lovecraftian.

Pitfall (1948) by Andre De Toth.
Rule #1: Don't cheat on your wife.
Rule #2: Rule #1 is even more important if you're the main character of a classic noir movie.
Pitfall is a simple tale of forbidden love and its consequences, all in a noir setting. Very enjoyable.

Reactions: Mefisto and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.