Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ok, should I start or someone else?.....Anyone?.....Anyone?.....Bueller? 😁

31 Days of Halloween starts now:

Insidious [2011]
40070E30-0D77-42B4-9E49-ECD190048B1E.jpeg

I don’t generally find movies that are scary really to be all that....’scary’. I’m not really easily scared, [maybe that’s one of the reasons why I’m not sensitive to horror films.] But ‘Insidious‘ is on a different level of scary. It’s actually one of those movies that implements fear in a way that there’s another world out there that’s oppressive when it comes to possession and other demonic sources that seem somewhat believable. I’m not usually supporter of these types of films, but Insidious Works really well when you have actors like Rose Byrne, Patrick Wilson and Lin Shaye. It’s a really small casted movie, but it’s to the point where they legit make you scared because the actor emotions are so believable.

So the plot is about a little boy that goes into a coma, the doctors are unsure why, but they find out that his physical being is perfectly healthy, but his spiritual being can leave his body known his ‘Astro-traveling’, where he is in another world. Long story short, his father has to breach into this world known as ‘The further‘ to bring back his spirit, but there’s no guarantee that it will be successful. However in this world with of the ‘Further’, there are demonic sources that will not let this little boys spirit leave all that easily.

This is a movie that doesn’t really heavily on CGI (Which I prefer), but a lot of scare tactics with amazing sound effects, Eerie music that really tethers the viewer into the film, and it’s a big reason why it’s so scary because of the sound effects and musical score. It’s just a combination of ingredients that work really well together.

There’s a few sequels to this one, but the original was by far my favorite and totally made it work in every way possible.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Prisoners [2013]
B21087A2-19A6-4913-AA82-DB0F6E2F4A83.jpeg

Riveting. Probably the main word I can describe this particular movie not just based on how dark it is, but the stark reality Of a parents worst nightmare with abduction. Very few scenes in this movie were actually filmed in sunlight, just to show how dark this movie really intended to be. But as I mentioned, it’s a mystery/suspense about two girls who are abducted, and a detective who is assigned to investigate the case.

Again, Jake Gyllenhaal doesn’t fail his performances ever and then add in Hugh Jackman directed by Denis Villeneuve, the end result is film that leaves you thinking, but shows The unfortunate side effects of pushing human emotion to the limits under one of the most stressful situations anybody can endure.

The acting is absolutely incredible in this movie, Paul Dano being another outstanding actor. If you haven’t watched this one, do it, and strap in.

Reactions: 0128672 and Mefisto

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
... directed by Denis Villeneuve, the end result is film that leaves you thinking, but shows The unfortunate side effects of pushing human emotion to the limits under one of the most stressful situations anybody can endure.

Villeneuve is the reason I completely trust how good the 2020 Dune will be.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Villeneuve is the reason I completely trust how good the 2020 Dune will be.

The trailer was very cryptic, almost very Christopher Nolan-ish. I have my expectations set, and given how he delivered with ‘Arrival, Sicario and Prisoners‘, I’d say this is a contender for M.O.T.Y.

Reactions: mikzn and 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just finished Enola Holmes and it was really good, so well done. I noticed in the credits that Millie Bobby Brown, the lead, was also a producer. I hope her career shines as brightly for a long time into the future. Bravo.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I watched Terminator Dark Fate last night in glorious standard definition on DVD. (lol)
I didn't find it too entertaining, it just felt like a rehase of the first two movies with the same plot line , with this time John dead. Can't really work out why they made this one? I can understand why Linda Hamilton was hesitant to do it. The special effects were great to watch, and some of the action scences and I enjoy seeing death in movies but I felt like that the last Terminator should have been the last one, I think it was Salvation?.

I would rate this 3/10.
The only other one that got that score from me, was Terminator Rise of The Machines.

I think when I go back to my childhood when I first watched them there was this sense of anxiety and anticipation with each scene when the terminator was after Sarah and her beau. When Terminator 2 came out and I saw it, it had that same feeling of suspense and thrill and action that James Cameron mastered in the first one. What a sad end to a series that could have been great. But I think for me the Terminator franchise is dead on water.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Hell Bound (1957) directed by William Hole Jr.
Talk about great a noir movie, that is also a B-movie, that is also quite entertaining! Hell Bound's weirdness is a true surprise. The plot is quite straightforward: an evil guy devises an intricate plan - involving nurses, doctors, cops, corrupt federal authorities, drug addicts etc - to steal a few millions worth of drugs from a US Navy ship. However, plans are one thing, reality is another...
The beautiful June Blair perfectly portraits the femme fatale (but with a conscience), all while John Russel is great at playing the evil dude that is over the top in everything except that in IQ.
Hell Bound does not break any ground in noir movies, but it's definitely creative in its narrative. Just to give you a non-spoilery example, there is a strange scene at a burlesque show in which a drug addict goes to meet his drug dealer, a well dressed man in is 50s that is enjoying the strip show in front of him. While beautiful actress Virginia De Lee strips on screen, we find out that the drug dealer who clearly loves the show and is a regular customer is also completely blind and does not drink alcohol but milk... and his name is Daddy. The end result is a burlesque scene, with milk, in which a drug deal occur, organized by a blind dude who likes "watching" naked girls, all while he's called "Daddy" ("Please Daddy", "Oh, Daddy") several times by drug addicts.
All in all, I am glad I found this forgotten gem.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
och! that is terrible news. I've been waiting since last year .... yowch.

Right? And ‘No time to Die’ has been pushed to spring 2021. (Almost two years later after its production finalized.) The cinema ‘movie theater’ industry is just as devastated as the Airline industry is.

Anyways, now onto a good ol’ friendly family halloween movie to cheer everyone up!

Hellraiser [1987]
31FCC3E4-9F30-4B2E-A653-A1BB184B3956.jpeg

You either hate this movie or enjoy the sadistic, heavy gore of this 1980s movie. In all seriousness, it’s a movie that most people probably won’t tolerate watching for many reasons I won’t even really discuss here, but I’ve always been entertained by Hellraiser and it’s one of the many films that does make Halloween on the ‘gory side of things’. There was many garbage sequels past the first Hellraiser, but the original was by far the best in the series.

If you’re serious into Halloween movies (Which I don’t think there’s a Halloween movie I haven’t seen), there’s no way you could pass up watching Hellraiser at least once.

Reactions: Mefisto

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
Anyone here participate in the Amazon Snap’d and Stream promotion?? I tried in September but must have joined too late cause I never received my reward emails. Got October done early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.