Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I agree completely. ref: Terminator, the third one was watchable because it showed Sky Net breaking bad. There is also Christian Bale vehicle Terminator Salvation, set in the future with Human resistance fighting machines, it’s been so long I should rewatch it. Dark Fate was completely unworthy imo.
Preferred the 4th to the third film. Also think is what people wanted to see more of with the Future War. Worst was Genesis with Dark Fate right on it's heels.

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

Queen6

macrumors G4
Dracula (1974)
1677094578318.png

Lot could be learned by modern horror...

Q-6

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I apologize but Black Adam (2022)- NO, just no, another DC miss, and that god aweful music made me want to put ear plugs and turn on closed captioning.:oops:
shame how they (movie hogs) are so careless in producing Marvel comics into movies that bad.
personally I stop watching marvel after I think 1999 antman or that spiderman3.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Is it good?
Yeah. Different to the usual Hammer House of Horror fair of the day, equally follows the classic tale predictably and to many extents faithfully.

Free on Tubitv so nothing to loose, isn't fast paced by any means, but the thrills are there. I like the slow burn. Not the worst nor the best, but well worth a watch if into the genre.

Q-6

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
shame how they (movie hogs) are so careless in producing Marvel comics into movies that bad.
personally I stop watching marvel after I think 1999 antman or that spiderman3.
Marvel clearly is a step above DC, but that might not be enough. If I have the phase number correct, Marvel phase 4 has mostly been unsatisfying. I’m having some trepidation over the upcoming Guardians…

Queen6

macrumors G4
The Day (2011)
1677150422010.png
A great post apocalyptic horror/thriller. Pulls no punches with some interesting twists and turns. Presents a very interesting use of colour which adds to the overall flavour of the film...

It's atmospheric & moody. Little reminiscent of The Divide and The Road being of a daker tone. TBH I recomend all three if into post apocalyptic films, although I find The Road to be the harder watch.

If you want real fear watch Threads, The Day After, The War Game, The Bedford Incident, By Dawns Early Light, Fail Safe 64 & Fail Safe 2000...

Some were banned for public viewing for well over a decade being far too close to the truth at hand...

Q-6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Day (2011)
View attachment 2163191
A great post apocalyptic horror/thriller. Pulls no punches with some interesting twists and turns. Presents a very interesting use of colour which adds to the overall flavour of the film...

It's atmospheric & moody. Little reminiscent of The Divide and The Road being of a daker tone. TBH I recomend all three if into post apocalyptic films, although I find The Road to be the harder watch.

If you want real fear watch Threads, The Day After, The War Game, The Bedford Incident, By Dawns Early Light, Fail Safe 64 & Fail Safe 2000...

Some were banned for public viewing for well over a decade being far too close to the truth at hand...

Q-6
For myself, The Road was one of those only need to bear it once movies. :) Fail Safe I first watched when I was 11 years old and it’s blazed into my brain.

Reactions: Queen6

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
For myself, The Road was one of those only need to bear it once movies. :) Fail Safe I first watched when I was 11 years old and it’s blazed into my brain.
I assume you've seen Dr Strangelove.
large_512N3nHiwJWUQO2ORoqi49RwcKT.jpg

Unfortunately for "Fail Safe" they came out about the same time it didn't have the same punch.

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK

Q-6
Funny you should mention this as I've just been watching a fair bit on Britbox and yesterday took a little trip down memory lane with Threads...

Last watched it in I guess 1983 when I was in my last years at school. At the time our house backed onto an old disused airfield that wasn't to be built on as it was apparently 'vital to to the nations security', as my dad said - if you see anything military turn up let me know and we'll jump in the car as otherwise we're stuffed. He thought it would have been an ideal place to deploy all those new cruise missiles that were coming in and being based not too far away. Mind we were pretty stuffed anyway as we completely surrounded by Us air bases and it was common knowledge that the 'top secret' USAF 'bomb dump' wasn't far up the motorway. I often thought we would end it all in bright flash stuck in a traffic jam!

I read the Road long before I saw the film and was always impressed by the novelty of the book until I read Riddley Walker by Russel Hoban (1982) so similar in age to Threads etc etc. Tremendous book - I also really like a Canticle for Leibowitz too. Both really recommended if you haven't read them, I'm surprised that at the least Canticle hasn't been made into a film.

• Love

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
"All Quiet on the Western Front"? (2022)
Has anyone seen this movie yet and if so, since this is a foreign movie, is in subtitles or English speaking?
TIA

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
"All Quiet on the Western Front"? (2022)
Has anyone seen this movie yet and if so, since this is a foreign movie, is in subtitles or English speaking?
TIA
Thought it was a decent film and worth watching, but surprised at all the awards etc as didn't think it as anything like as good as the original or even the previous remake as it lost the point of the book to my mind.

Just to add - if I remember correctly I think it was in English (or very well dubbed)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I assume you've seen Dr Strangelove.
View attachment 2163275

Unfortunately for "Fail Safe" they came out about the same time it didn't have the same punch.
Well, DS was a dark comedy about the ridiculousness/insanity of the nuclear arms race, and the Cold War in general. I loved Col Ripper, General Turgidson, and the Rusky‘s secret Doomsday machine that they did not bother to tell anyone about, good for some nervous laughs.

I grew up with the school drills to get under your desk and kiss your ass goodbye, although I did not realize that at the time, thinking it might help. :)

Fail Safe spoilers-

Fail Safe was grounded in a scenario where a nuclear war was very possible and sacrifices had to be made to avoid armageddon. As an 11 year old in 1964, the special effects were meager, but the Mission Commander’s wife begging him to turn back, the high level Russian who refused to cooperate with the Americans, the description of the US Ambassador to Moscow, about lights followed by the shriek his phone melting, followed by the decision of the President (Henry Fonda), and the dutiful general who carried out his mission, then committed suicide, not to mention the fate of a second major metropolis shook me to my core

Last edited:
  • Love

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Thought it was a decent film and worth watching, but surprised at all the awards etc as didn't think it as anything like as good as the original or even the previous remake as it lost the point of the book to my mind.

Just to add - if I remember correctly I think it was in English (or very well dubbed)
Agreed

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The Whale (2022)

Unexpected. Touching. Serious.

If you ask me, this is a great movie. Brendan Fraser deserves an Oscar for this. I admit it, my eyes wet while watching this.

View attachment 2157672
Finally saw this last night, I loved this movie!
I thought this was original, FUN and a wake up call to those who should not meddle with minds.
Oh Brandon gets his Oscar™ we hope!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.