Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What actions do you want?

• Total voters

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
660M is also Kepler. But no I wouldn't be surprised to see a 650M in the low 21".

I would like Apple to drop the "m" versions and go with a real desktop card. But then again, the temperature control would be a pain in a AIO...

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I would like Apple to drop the "m" versions and go with a real desktop card. But then again, the temperature control would be a pain in a AIO...

Not to mention the geometry...

----------

I see,my bad,did wrompng with 670m.

Yeah. I hate Nvidia for this.

650M - Kepler
660M - Kepler
670M - Fermi
670MX - Kepler
675M - Fermi
675MX - Kepler
680M - Kepler

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I hope this is the case
L21 650M
H21 660M // BTO 670MX
——————————————
L27 675MX // BTO 680M
H27 680M

I hope not having been raised my expectations again for nothing.
ps.
I hate thinking at Mansley and Schiller looking here knowing all..and
"water..water...some fire..fire fire fireee..."
Grrr i hate it!!!

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
Not to mention the geometry...

----------

Yeah. I hate Nvidia for this.

650M - Kepler
660M - Kepler
670M - Fermi
670MX - Kepler
675M - Fermi
675MX - Kepler
680M - Kepler

I hope this is the case
L21 650M
H21 660M // BTO 670MX
——————————————
L27 675MX // BTO 680M
H27 680M

I hope not having been raised my expectations again for nothing.
ps.
I hate thinking at Mansley and Schiller looking here knowing all..and
"water..water...some fire..fire fire fireee..."
Grrr i hate it!!!

You guys are running just a little too fast ...

hope you're right, but wouldn't want to see your bitter comments if an iMac 2012 will not come out ...

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

hope you're right, but wouldn't want to see your bitter comments if an iMac 2012 will not come out ...

I have absolutely no reason to believe it won't come out in the next 4 weeks.

If it doesn't, then we can start projecting video cards again when we have an idea when it actually will be out. Because honestly, you can rule out most of November, and December, and January, so they wouldn't be until like February at the earliest. I haven't looked at AMD or Nvidia roadmaps that far ahead.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
I do not need iMac right now. I just want to change my currently computer so I decided to invest in mac but i do not want to overpay. i think i can wait about 2/3 months.

Same here, I'd like to go back to Mac and don't want to overpay.

My Windows PC still runs well enough, though I'd like to get off of it sooner than later.

But if it's not out by the end of October, or there's no semi-substantial rumor going around, I'll probably just get the 2011 27" decked out.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I have absolutely no reason to believe it won't come out in the next 4 weeks.

If it doesn't, then we can start projecting video cards again when we have an idea when it actually will be out. Because honestly, you can rule out most of November, and December, and January, so they wouldn't be until like February at the earliest. I haven't looked at AMD or Nvidia roadmaps that far ahead.

You know how I'm waiting for new hardware from Apple, but I also think they unfortunately don't care about the roadmap of anyone ... :(

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

Does this help ?This is no bitter ,this may be sweet:cool:
The Kepler Family.jpg
Then again on AnandTech they say :

"The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Review: GK106 Fills Out The Kepler Family
by Ryan Smith on 9/13/2012
It's been nearly 6 months since the launch of the first Kepler GPUs, and due to 28nm production difficulties NVIDIA has spent the last 6 months with a sizable hole in their video card lineup between their high-end and budget cards..
"
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-review-gk106-rounds-out-the-kepler-family

I know they're speaking about desktop Gpus but ,remaining silent till today with both these new cards (670,675Mx)is perhaps related to the same difficulties at 28nm?Is it because there was more than laminated issues only?We won't know for a while.
By the way if no Imac will come out within October (2012 ; O )we'd have
two choices ,the old 27-6970m or the Classic/Retina MbPro-650M,
where the former is more powerful and the latter "movable",just depends
by your needs which can also make you disengage this time with Apple, i just see
bizarre to see Apple leaving the field with an hole to be filled so close to the 26th/10
the day Windows8 will try to rise... .We'll see.

Last edited:

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
Does this help ?This is no bitter ,this may be sweet:cool:
View attachment 365934
By the way if no Imac will come out within October (2012 ; O )you'll have
two choices ,the old 27-6970m or the Classic/Retina MbPro-650M,
where the former is more powerful and the latter "movable",just depends
by your needs.

It helps increasing the bitterness if ever no iMac is launched within the end of October ... :( :( :(

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
It helps increasing the bitterness if ever no iMac is launched within the end of October ... :( :( :(

Maybe but its not due to our curiosity don't you think?
Then with life you always have options,perhaps not the ones you were desiring so strongly but world actually doesn't end.
Speaking about me i would like to buy a new Kepler Imac but if Apple will show different plans i will be disappointed but still with money in my pockets for something else.
Thats why a good Mac Book Pro (2011-2012) with a good Windows gaming station will do the work as well,maybe with a beautiful Led Cinema Display (the one with display port not Tb).

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I'm sorry, I stand corrected : it helps increasing MY bitterness for not having a new iMac yet ... and I'd really like to add "FANCULO" too !

Edit : as you've surely understood, it is not directed to you ...

ehmm.....thanks:p:eek:
but if i can give you an advice ..stay quiet,these are wonderful things..but things,you (the person behind the desk) is the most important piece of hardware.:D

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I still would like them to come with regular hard drives. I like keeping my music photos and some videos internally without a bunch of wires everywhere.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I vote for retina display and possibly a SSD/HDD hybrid, together with vastly improved internal specs to make it a worthy desktop capable of powering that high-res display.

A pure SSD makes little sense on a desktop. I had one installed in my imac (paid a pretty penny too) and I feel the benefits, while tangible, seem a tad overrated. Yes, it boots up faster, yes, apps open faster, and yes, files transfer faster, but I don't really the few seconds saved here and there are really as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

The other benefits (less space, lower power consumption, no moving parts) would be invaluable in a laptop, but they seem kinda redundant in a desktop which isn't going anywhere, and honestly, are people going to care that it is a few mm thinner when it is not going to be carried anywhere?

Still, SSD seems to be one of Apple's signature features, so I feel they may as well add it in somewhere. A hybrid drive would help keep the imac affordable, yet offer the best compromise between storage and speed.

Also, the 27" 2560x1440 display has its cons in the sense that everything appears way too small, and it defeats the purpose if I have to manually resize everything. I don't mind what they did with the Rmbp - make it standard res, but double the pixels to make everything appear clearer while still staying the same size, not smaller.

Rest is pretty standard - usb3 ports, 8gb ram minimum, upgraded processors, true desktop class graphics, the usual stuff. :)

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
What i don't understand is ..
ok Imac had lamination issues but what about mac mini?
Instead the retina 13 is perhaps more easy to understand due to
a "i don't know which " some kind of manifacturing troubles/strategy.
Mini are really the mystere,do you see probable a change with Amd Apu
solutions like the 32nm Trinity Apu (Trinity 2xnm is planned for 2013),
Is Hd4000 faster?
Just tryin to understand if there's a "plan" behind the desktops delay or
if are just ..a coincidence.:rolleyes:with the Trinity release in October and the 670/675mx just released from Nvidia.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series A10-5800K.html

Last edited:

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
What i don't understand is ..
ok Imac had lamination issues but what about mac mini?
Instead the retina 13 is perhaps more easy to understand due to
a "i don't know which " some kind of manifacturing troubles/strategy.
Mini are really the mystere,do you see probable a change with Amd Apu
solutions like the Trinity 28nm?Is Hd4000 faster?
Just tryin to understand if there's a "plan" behind the desktop delay or
if are just ..a coincidence.:rolleyes:

The Mini, internally, is just a MBP in a different shell. The entire upgrade the Mini would have gotten, technologically, is what Apple released for the non-retina MBP, so the technology was there. Apple didn't update the Mini, and the only conclusion we can really draw is that they meant not to.

I've been speculating here at the possibility of all desktop Macs being EOLed and a combined single desktop Apple system appearing in 2013 per Tim Cook's comments that "something great for pro users" was in the offing. We'll soon find out, I guess!

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
To unify all the desktop line?
Could be.
I did post the same arguing that in this case the Cinema displays will have a more central role even because at this moment Thunderbolt is ..well not so usefull,no external Gpus,no docks,no unexpensive hard drives.
On the other hand some other company like this is tryin to achieve the same goal (if only Apple will really go that way instead of axing totally its desktops)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/262476727/xi3-help-us-usher-in-the-post-pc-era

By the way ,this is for 2013 ,if only Mayas got wrong,for now we need a..wish-per on what is coming or not.:(

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
The Mini, internally, is just a MBP in a different shell. The entire upgrade the Mini would have gotten, technologically, is what Apple released for the non-retina MBP, so the technology was there. Apple didn't update the Mini, and the only conclusion we can really draw is that they meant not to.

I've been speculating here at the possibility of all desktop Macs being EOLed and a combined single desktop Apple system appearing in 2013 per Tim Cook's comments that "something great for pro users" was in the offing. We'll soon find out, I guess!

Yes, I have been guilty of the same speculation. But, he talked about the pro stuff being 'later next year', that implies to me another 10 - 12 months away. Would they let the current desktops go without some form of spec bump for that long?

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
So's the AU one, as of at least an hour ago. It's not even Tuesday...

Probably just changing the stock level of one obscure item and decided to bring the whole store down internationally, in true Apple style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.