What to Expect From the 2019 iPhones: Hands-On With Dummy Models

unchecked

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
Thought about USB-C for a bit. It’s not like I need USB-C on my iPhone to move data or connect peripherals and my newer Lightning cables still haven’t completely flayed, but if I get the 2019 iPhone I will have to deal with Lightning cables (to use with a power bank) for at least another three years until I get the 2022 iPhone.
That thought sent a shudder down my spine.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
waiting for spring 2020.

these september 2019 models will not only be the biggest iPhones, but heavier as well.

when apple launches a smaller size model.

Reactions: bestdressedguessed

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
i hope the new iphone cameras don't look like those mock-ups.
I can see just one smooth square bump .. but those mock-ups have circular bumps on top of the square!

Chrjy

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
UK
Laughable design! Great Ive debut as a "new company" with Apple as "main client". Lol at people buying these.
I must have looked liked your profile pic when I saw those dummy models!

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
Totally ugly. The IVE legacy.
generally speaking, i dont think so.

yes: one of the trends that Ive left us all with is that function does win out over form/design.
we have accepted this since the 1st small, irritating camera bump (in iPhone 6?)

but no: Ive demanded new materials, new techniques, cutting edge processes in order to shrink the dimensions of most of his signature projects.
i dont think that its coincidental that the big splashy announcement of his retirement was just done recently.
i think he himself has been largely out of the process for over 2 years.
these 2019 phones are not his work and he definitely doesn't want his legacy based on these 2019 models.
these models are the result of a design process pre-empted by the supply chain process.
result: 2019 focus is on software and largely leaving alone the hardware.
where market forces demand, such as better cameras, add hardware features like this agglomerative camera bump. design? what's design?

not Ive.
Tim.

Earth to Spaceship: losing market share is not an attractive picture.
get back to leadership.
think differently.
we can understand your desire to get into the content game.
but please dont forget about hardware.

Last edited:

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i'm skipping purely cause of intel model, not getting another iphone til they use qualcomm again in 2020.

if anyone is interested, be prepare for some major trade in deals carriers are gonna push up when this phone releases, just take a look at the iphone 7 launch, trade in iphone 6 and get a free iphone 7.

RevTEG

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Admittedly I can’t really tell you what I expect from a iPhone now. I’ve been iPhone only since gen 1, but these new iPhones just do not inspire me to run out and buy them. I’m still on the iPhone X, when in the past I would have upgraded already. My wife and remember the days where we would wait hours in line on launch day. That was a really fun community type thing. People would be playing music. Starbucks would give out coffee. People would cheer. I guess I miss those launches. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the function of the iPhone. Maybe after a decade I’m just not as excited because innovation has kind of caught up with technology.

Chrjy

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
UK
Admittedly I can’t really tell you what I expect from a iPhone now. I’ve been iPhone only since gen 1, but these new iPhones just do not inspire me to run out and buy them. I’m still on the iPhone X, when in the past I would have upgraded already. My wife and remember the days where we would wait hours in line on launch day. That was a really fun community type thing. People would be playing music. Starbucks would give out coffee. People would cheer. I guess I miss those launches. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the function of the iPhone. Maybe after a decade I’m just not as excited because innovation has kind of caught up with technology.
Totally agree, that's exactly how I feel and my last upgrade was the X also. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. I still love the OS but there's just nothing to tempt me year on year as I would have been in the past.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Those cameras are unapologetically hideous
Good thing these renderings weren't done by Apple, I guess.

Man, this year's iPhones just seem so akward. Should have jumped on last year's models.
I think these are going to look very dated in a year.
You can still jump on last year's models. In fact, you can usually jump on last year's models for $100 less than the price of the current year's models. :cool:

Chilton3

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
So, still no Pencil support? Honestly that's the only thing I care about.

At least the iPad mini has it now though, so I'm using that.

Reactions: Spicy Viking

MacPDiddy

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2017
The Fandroids are trying really hard to create a perception these are ugly. They're not. It will be easy to mitigate the camera square with a cover (black) or just buy a black iPhone 11 - if it REALLY bothers anyone, which is doubtful.

And watch, in a year, all the Android copycat handsets will look EXACTLY like iPhone 11, without the iPhone's faster processor, secure OS and the rest.

Chrjy

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
UK
The Fandroids are trying really hard to create a perception these are ugly. They're not. It will be easy to mitigate the camera square with a cover (black) or just buy a black iPhone 11 - if it REALLY bothers anyone, which is doubtful.

And watch, in a year, all the Android copycat handsets will look EXACTLY like iPhone 11, without the iPhone's faster processor, secure OS and the rest.
I'm sure there are a number of people trolling as per usual on MacRumors but I'm pretty convinced that many comments are coming from Apple lovers. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You're right about the copying thing, Apple could bring out a triangle shaped iPhone and other manufacturers would blatantly copy it.

Reactions: unchecked

nvmls

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2011

"A perception these are ugly" created by the "fandroids"... and there we have it folks, the current apple consumer at it's best.

Reactions: ACD0236 and PC_tech

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
It will be easy to mitigate the camera square
Or Apple could just come up with a better design. Samsung's S10 models look a lot nice and probably sit better on a table (i.e. no wobbling).

This design is a hard pass for me. I dislike my XR and I'm either going Android or iPhone 8 Plus.

Reactions: sammy2066