Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Have you seen the specs of the intel core m chips? Probably shouldn't trust Apple's word so much.
I'm not sure why but intel says they support 2160p at 60hz and apple says they don't. Could be a typo.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88198/Intel-Core-m3-6Y30-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_20-GHz

Broadwell core m 1600 at 60hz.
Skylake core m 2160 at 60hz.
Its a bandwidth issue. The USB port they use cannot provide enough bandwidth for a 4k 60FPS stream. Has nothing to do with the Intel chip.

Reactions: Aquamite

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Its a bandwidth issue. The USB port they use cannot provide enough bandwidth for a 4k 60FPS stream. Has nothing to do with the Intel chip.

I think that bandwidth is limited by the chip though. In order to increase it they'd have to use the Alpine Ridge daughter board.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...nderbolt-3-make-the-best-a-little-bit-better/

The new parts to the XPS 13 are all on the inside. The processor is now Skylake generation, and with this comes an increase in supported RAM—now up to 16GB—and Intel's Alpine Ridge controller.

Alpine Ridge provides two things: the infuriatingly named USB 3.1 generation 2—which means 10 gigabits per second rather than five—and Thunderbolt 3. These are delivered over a USB Type-C port on the machine's left-hand side, replacing the mini DisplayPort of the Broadwell model.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Have you seen the specs of the intel core m chips? Probably shouldn't trust Apple's word so much.
I'm not sure why but intel says they support 2160p at 60hz and apple says they don't. Could be a typo.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88198/Intel-Core-m3-6Y30-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_20-GHz

Broadwell core m 1600 at 60hz.
Skylake core m 2160 at 60hz.
They say 2x monitors in the same time 4k @30hz !! so 1 4k monitor can work @60hz but i guess if its not usb-c gen 2 it will not be able

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Even tough I have boltjames on my ignore list for quite some time now, I just came here to gloat about his nice predictions about rMB not being updated this year ^^

Now I can finally unignore him, and 'enjoy' his posts like I used to :)

P.S.
And still just one port, with pretty 'sweet' price tag :(

Last edited:

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
There are 2 different types of updates at Apple:
- refreshs
- redesigns

That's obviously a refresh, but not too bad. 15% performance, 15% battery life and twice as fast SSD are absolutely fine, don't know why some of you were expecting a redesign one year after introduction.
That's not how Apple's product cycles worked in the past either.

Reactions: applegeek97

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
What were you expecting? For an update, this one is actually better than most.
A second USB-C port. An HD FaceTime camera. A base clock above 1.1Ghz. You know, updates this thing actually could use to make it more feasible. Not just increase the graphics a little bit and paint it pink...

Reactions: chukronos

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
Hrrmmmm...the facetime camera from the 2007 macbook is disappointing. It's kind of crazy that it doesn't get much better benchmarks than the iPad pro. If the iPad pro had mac OS I'd be all over it.

Vince89

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2016
So you were expecting Apple to redesign the chassis to make room for a second port, and perhaps deepen the screen housing as well to accommodate a thicker camera, thereby forcing changes to tooling and production lines, all after a single year?

LOL. Funny.

Why not? Dell were able to make such a change inside 9 months. Apple had 1 year to improve this model.

The 9343 launched early 2015, the 9350 launched late 2015. In that time they refreshed the CPU, added TB3, upgraded the board to support NVMe drives.

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Why not? Dell were able to make such a change inside 9 months. Apple had 1 year to improve this model.
It's not a matter of ability. I'm sure Apple (or any other sufficiently resourced company) could have done that if they'd felt they needed to do so.

The only reason Apple would incur the costs of retooling production and increasing component costs is if they were losing enough potential sales over the matter. Apple's chasing maximal profit. Spending more money to capture that handful of lost sales than they'd make off those sales is poor business. If you think otherwise I'll gladly sell you all $50 bills you want for $60 each.

BTW that Dell XPS, as a 13.3 system, is substantially larger and heavier machine with a lot more space to put additional ports and cameras and TB3 controller chips. That's more comparable to the MBA 13 than the rMB. That you bring up a completely different class of system suggests you don't "get" the main selling points of the rMB.

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
It's not a matter of ability. I'm sure Apple (or any other sufficiently resourced company) could have done that if they'd felt they needed to do so.

The only reason Apple would incur the costs of retooling production and increasing component costs is if they were losing enough potential sales over the matter. Apple's chasing maximal profit. Spending more money to capture that handful of lost sales than they'd make off those sales is poor business. If you think otherwise I'll gladly sell you all $50 bills you want for $60 each.

BTW that Dell XPS, as a 13.3 system, is substantially larger and heavier machine with a lot more space to put additional ports and cameras and TB3 controller chips. That's more comparable to the MBA 13 than the rMB. That you bring up a completely different class of system suggests you don't "get" the main selling points of the rMB.
Someone in another thread made a good point: people that're complaining about the rMB, like and want the machine, but want performance too. That's where I'm at. The price point could get me a base MBP, but not thin and light like the rMB or MBA. Or that price point could get me a maxed out MBA, but it wouldn't have Retina, which is crazy. So essentially all of us complainers just want a rMBA in 2016. Not a insane request IMO.

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Someone in another thread made a good point: people that're complaining about the rMB, like and want the machine, but want performance too. That's where I'm at. The price point could get me a base MBP, but not thin and light like the rMB or MBA. Or that price point could get me a maxed out MBA, but it wouldn't have Retina, which is crazy. So essentially all of us complainers just want a rMBA in 2016. Not a insane request IMO.
Sure, I get that. Who wouldn't love to get a rMBP in the size and weight of the rMB? That'd be fantastic. Doesn't exist though, and to get anywhere near that with today's technology they'd have to make substantial changes that'd make the rMB something other than what it is.

There is definitely a gap in the 13.3-14" screen size category that hopefully will be filled by Apple with a redesigned rMBP13/MBA13 model possibly taking design cues from the rMB. The myriad of posts trying to compare the 12" rMB to 13.3-14" class Windows ultrabooks prove the desire.

As I've posted before, I can definitely envision a lineup consisting of the 12" rMB for the light/small focused crowd, then a rMB/MBA styled 13.3-14" rMBP for the ports-and-power crowd, and then a 15.6-16" rMBP for the no-compromises desktop replacement crowd. That leaves a my-first-macbook/I-don't-want-to-spend-much crowd which may be served with a "Macbook Classic" rebadged non-retina MBP13 or MBA13 or some other variation of using a prior model to fulfill the low-cost segment.

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Sure, I get that. Who wouldn't love to get a rMBP in the size and weight of the rMB? That'd be fantastic. Doesn't exist though, and to get anywhere near that with today's technology they'd have to make substantial changes that'd make the rMB something other than what it is.
Yeah but I don't need Pro performance. I just need something better than M. Like a 2.2 i5. Hence the rMBA

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Well, actually it is, if you want the same battery life you have now, with the same chassis.
Valid point. It seems though that 2 of the 12 hours on the MBA could be sacrificed to a Retina screen. 10 hour rMBA would seem feasible, no?

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Valid point. It seems though that 2 of the 12 hours on the MBA could be sacrificed to a Retina screen. 10 hour rMBA would seem feasible, no?

In terms of product mix though, I think the MBA is dead except as a legacy keep-it-around-cuz-its-cheap model.

If they put a retina screen on a MBA styled chassis, it'd likely be a part of a rMB styling inspired MBP line even if they had a low-end Pro spec system for those who needed more ports or screen than the rMB provides. All pure speculation on my part in terms of what would make for a more consistent laptop design and naming lineup rather than the somewhat discordant one we have today.

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
In terms of product mix though, I think the MBA is dead except as a legacy keep-it-around-cuz-its-cheap model.

If they put a retina screen on a MBA styled chassis, it'd likely be a part of a rMB styling inspired MBP line even if they had a low-end Pro spec system for those who needed more ports or screen than the rMB provides. All pure speculation on my part in terms of what would make for a more consistent laptop design and naming lineup rather than the somewhat discordant one we have today.
I can see that

Reactions: deeddawg

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
aslong as apple have fixed the throttling I might get one, just wish they had put a second usb port on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.