Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
12" rMB already replaces the Air - both 11" and 13" flavors of it.

Depends how you frame it. The 12" rMB is smaller than the 11" Air in every respect except it's about a 1/4 inch deeper, so in that sense it replaces the 11" but not quite the 13". I'm of the opinion that Apple will let the Air die, maybe with one last upgrade to Skylake, and introduce a 14" rMB to give screen size options just like the Air and Pro do today.

Reactions: jazz1

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I really want this MacBook, but I think i'll wait for gen 2 or something... But I am curious to what everyone or anyone thinks Apple may do this next Spring for the rMB.
I am thinking/hoping...

1.) 10-20% faster and more powerful processor and GPU. (I assume Skylake will increase performance.)
2.) 720p FaceTime camera (I don't even know why they have 480p... how can they NOT have 720p?)
3.) $100-200 price drop (this is a must IMO, though I highly doubt it will happen)

Anyone else have some fairly possible or realistic wants? (hopefully some of my list is mostly possible) ha ha. ;)

Kal.

Reactions: Cape Dave

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I think you're pretty much spot on. At least those are the same points I would hope to expect. I'd say that the price-drop is least likely however, knowing Apple.

Hoping it arrives before february, as I'm hoping to maybe pick one up while in the states. :)

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
I say wait now. We are almost in November and once Christmas is over, it's amazing how fast March appears :) I think we will see a £100 price drop judging by the 13" MBKP Retina during its upgrade. Hopefully faster etc. I want one to replace my 2010 MacBook which since El Capitan, all i see is beachballs now :(
Definitely worth waiting and saving :) It's only 4 months or so :)

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Apple is all about the average selling price these days: 16GB iPhone they hope no-one buys, 5400RPM HD in the iMac 4K they hope no-one buys, etc. I'm not sure what their plan is with the MBA, but if they want to lure people with a low priced MBA, a step-up to the rMB shouldn't be too big of a jump, or people with just stick with buying MBAs (which are still very popular).

Prices for the rMB:

rMB with 8GB and 256GB: $1299
rMB with 8GB and 512GB: $1599

Obviously these aren't fair comparisons, but assuming the goal is to get people to buy a rMB instead of the MBA:

11" MBA with 4GB and 128GB: $899 + upsell to first "comparable" model: $400
11" MBA with 8GB and 128GB: $999 + $300
11" MBA with 4GB and 256GB: $1099 + $200
11" MBA with 8GB and 256GB: $1199 + $100

13" MBA with 4GB and 128GB: $999 + $300
13" MBA with 8GB and 128GB: $1099 + $200
13" MBA with 4GB and 256GB: $1199 + $100
13" MBA with 8GB and 512GB: $1599 + $0

Once you spec out the MBAs to get close to the rMB, the difference isn't that big anymore. However, most people won't know about those prices, nor care about detailed spec comparisons. They only know about the $899 and $999 starting price, and an upsell of $300-400 is pretty high.

I'm sure Apple has all the math worked out to optimize their profit and ASP as much as possible, but if I had to guess they would make an upsell to a rMB a whole lot easier when they drop the price by $100-200 as suggested. That would move people to the rMB more easily, get more people to use retina screens (customer sat, yay!), and allow them to phase out the MBA line quicker. Maybe remove the higher MBA configs from the lineup altogether and only keep the entry-level models around for a few more years.

Or... Apple's numbers tell them they still make a ton of money on the MBAs and they're perfectly fine keeping the rMB a more premium-priced product for another year or two.

I'm obviously hoping for the first scenario, but wouldn't be surprised at all if the only change we'll see is Skylake, and everything else (including the price, 1 USB-C port, 480p camera, etc.) stays exactly the same for at least another year.

Reactions: einkelflugle

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
I share your sentiments.

Cheaper, better camera, better GPU/CPU.

I'd love to see them squeeze another USB-C port on the thing too, on the left right next to the existing port so we have more options in the future.

I'd absolutely love Apple to include some form of USB-C dongle in the box as a goodwill gesture if the updated version maintains the same price point as the current option - but we all know that's not going to happen.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Yep.

-20% faster CPU with better iGPU.
-720p Face Time camera.
-Slightly better battery life.
-Possibly a slight price drop.

Personally I don't care about another port. One is enough for me.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Make it thicker so you can get more battery in it. Add as few USB ports and it will be better!

And a version with a non-retina screen, a thick bezel, and a DVD burner. Might be good if they made an optional detachable screen too.

BJ

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Apple is all about the average selling price these days: 16GB iPhone they hope no-one buys, 5400RPM HD in the iMac 4K they hope no-one buys, etc. I'm not sure what their plan is with the MBA, but if they want to lure people with a low priced MBA, a step-up to the rMB shouldn't be too big of a jump, or people with just stick with buying MBAs (which are still very popular).

Prices for the rMB:

rMB with 8GB and 256GB: $1299
rMB with 8GB and 512GB: $1599

Obviously these aren't fair comparisons, but assuming the goal is to get people to buy a rMB instead of the MBA:

11" MBA with 4GB and 128GB: $899 + upsell to first "comparable" model: $400
11" MBA with 8GB and 128GB: $999 + $300
11" MBA with 4GB and 256GB: $1099 + $200
11" MBA with 8GB and 256GB: $1199 + $100

13" MBA with 4GB and 128GB: $999 + $300
13" MBA with 8GB and 128GB: $1099 + $200
13" MBA with 4GB and 256GB: $1199 + $100
13" MBA with 8GB and 512GB: $1599 + $0

Once you spec out the MBAs to get close to the rMB, the difference isn't that big anymore. However, most people won't know about those prices, nor care about detailed spec comparisons. They only know about the $899 and $999 starting price, and an upsell of $300-400 is pretty high.

I'm sure Apple has all the math worked out to optimize their profit and ASP as much as possible, but if I had to guess they would make an upsell to a rMB a whole lot easier when they drop the price by $100-200 as suggested. That would move people to the rMB more easily, get more people to use retina screens (customer sat, yay!), and allow them to phase out the MBA line quicker. Maybe remove the higher MBA configs from the lineup altogether and only keep the entry-level models around for a few more years.

Or... Apple's numbers tell them they still make a ton of money on the MBAs and they're perfectly fine keeping the rMB a more premium-priced product for another year or two.

I'm obviously hoping for the first scenario, but wouldn't be surprised at all if the only change we'll see is Skylake, and everything else (including the price, 1 USB-C port, 480p camera, etc.) stays exactly the same for at least another year.

I'm hoping to see the addition of a 14" model, and greater configuration options across both sizes. I think if Apple decides to drop the Air when Skylake hits the rMB, then they will sell a base rMB with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD for that magic $999. A 14" would likely have at least one more USB-C port, and maybe even an SD slot. Not that I need them: I'm just looking for an eventual replacement of my iMac and considering the consumer grade tasks I do on it, a rMB has enough power and I want retina screens on everything from now on. A rMB, hooked up via a single USB-C/Thunderbolt cable to the monitor (maybe a new Thunderbolt display) could make a great desktop solution that I can also take on the road occasionally.

Reactions: Psyfuzz

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm hoping to see the addition of a 14" model, and greater configuration options across both sizes.
I'm rather skeptical that apple will roll out a 14" rMB. I just feel that muddies the waters too much. They'll have:
11" MBA
12" rMB,
13" MBA,
13" MBP,
14" rMB,
15" rMBP

Too much product overlap imo

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thunderbolt 3 would be nice, not sure if the Core M is compatible though. I think a 14" version would also have a place in the lineup, as it seems this is the long-term successor to the MBA.

Reactions: AirdanMR

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I'm rather skeptical that apple will roll out a 14" rMB. I just feel that muddies the waters too much. They'll have:
11" MBA
12" rMB,
13" MBA,
13" MBP,
14" rMB,
15" rMBP

Exactly. Perfect line up would be:

12" rMB
13" rMB Pro
15" rMB Pro

Less is more.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
11" MBA
12" rMB,
13" MBA,
13" MBP,
14" rMB,
15" rMBP

There's only one option, we kill the Batman... I mean Macbook Air.

12" rMb
13" rMBP
14" rMb
15"rMBP

That'd be a tidy little lineup - one for productivity and one for portability, I can't see a place for a non-retina equipped product in Apple's product line-up (outside of educational uses to discretely sell to schools etc). Who knows what happens to the Air though - it's definitely coming across more of a relic of the pre-2012 Apple compared to other products.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008

12" rMB
13" rMB Pro
15" rMB Pro

Less is more.
Indeed. The 12" is close to the 11" MBA in terms of size, and close to the 13" MBA in terms of screen real-estate. And the whole point of the new MB is to have a next gen small and portable device. Not seeing them adding a second port, an SD-card slot, nor a bigger 14" version (which kind of defeats one of the main purposes of the MB).

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Indeed. The 12" is close to the 11" MBA in terms of size, and close to the 13" MBA in terms of screen real-estate. And the whole point of the new MB is to have a next gen small and portable device. Not seeing them adding a second port, an SD-card slot, nor a bigger 14" version (which kind of defeats one of the main purposes of the MB).

I'd disagree - the retina Macbook was never meant to be the smallest laptop on the market full stop otherwise they'd have gone 11 inches with the screen and reduced it's size further etc., my understanding of the purpose of the rMB was to provide the most portable laptop relative to it's competitors and alternatives regarding physical dimensions and screen estate (though I appreciate this is purely my interpretation of the product's focus, who knows what the guys at Apple thought).

Hypothetically, if  offered a 14" Macbook at significantly less weight and physical size (respective to it's screen estate) than any of the alternatives it would still be meeting the product line's focus. If a 14" inch Macbook could weigh less/be smaller physically than a 13" Macbook Pro through reducing bezels etc. it'd be a great option for users.

That said, I don't see Apple doing it - but a man can dream. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's only one option,
To a degree I see your point but I still have an issue at having 11, 12, 13, 15 inch computers. I think the MBA does have to go however and that will clean up the product line.

12" rMB
13" rMB Pro
15" rMB Pro

Less is more.
I agree, I think this makes the most sense. having too many models even w/o the MBA is an issue

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
To a degree I see your point but I still have an issue at having 11, 12, 13, 15 inch computers. I think the MBA does have to go however and that will clean up the product line.

I agree, I think this makes the most sense. having too many models even w/o the MBA is an issue

I'm thinking the Mac lineup needs a big of a clean up in general, the Air's redundant regarding it's original USP and comes across as extremely dated - but the non-retina iMacs also need to see the door sooner rather than later if possible.

I have no issues with lower res screens (I'm using one on my main device) but going forward it's clearly it's got to be retina-only - we've been expecting and using it on other devices for 5 years or so by now.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
It seems like Tim Cook's Apple doesn't mind keeping older models around, as long as they can get some value out of selling them. Although... they did remove the retina 27" iMacs, so there's hope.

I'm really hoping they do a big cleanup in all product lines, like the iPad (way too many of those as well). Choice is nice and all in some cases, but they should be careful not to have too many options. Simple is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.