Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
If Apple design the new MBPR on the lines of the MBR is it just possible that both 13" and 15" will be dropped and be replaced by 12" and 14" MacBook Pro Retinas?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
If Apple design the new MBPR on the lines of the MBR is it just possible that both 13" and 15" will be dropped and be replaced by 12" and 14" MacBook Pro Retinas?
Interesting. The rMBP 13" has a res of 2560x1600/227ppi, the rMB 12" 2304x1440/226ppi. And don't they both scale to similar effective resolutions, like 1440x900 and 1280x800? Not sure if the difference would matter to pro-users. For Apple it would probably simplify production if they can use the same panels for a 12" rMB and 12" rMBP.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
Interesting. The rMBP 13" has a res of 2560x1600/227ppi, the rMB 12" 2304x1440/226ppi. And don't they both scale to similar effective resolutions, like 1440x900 and 1280x800? Not sure if the difference would matter to pro-users. For Apple it would probably simplify production if they can use the same panels for a 12" rMB and 12" rMBP.
It certainly makes design sense C64. Without opting for the keyboard layout of the rMB, it's going to be very difficult to make a new rMBP look truly fresh isn't it! Exciting, could you imagine a rMBP that looks like a rMB but has the performance of a rMBP? I'd gladly have one of those :)

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I'm rather skeptical that apple will roll out a 14" rMB. I just feel that muddies the waters too much. They'll have:
11" MBA
12" rMB,
13" MBA,
13" MBP,
14" rMB,
15" rMBP

Too much product overlap imo

Agreed. But I see the Air going away and a redesigned MBP with 14" and 16" screens, so the lineup would be:

12" MB
14" MB and MBP
16" MBP

Redesigned Pros would have slightly larger screens that fit in a chassis that is no larger (prolly a little thinner) than the current 13 and 15 inch models, and Apple can use the same 14" screen on 2 of their laptop lines (which, surprisingly, is something they don't do now at all). Pros continue to offer more processing power and ports for those who need it while the MacBook features max portability (but potent enough for consumer grade tasks). And hopefully Apple will finally ditch the term Retina; we get it, and everything they sell with a display will be Retina-level after they EOL the base 21.5" iMac.

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2015
Wonder what's up with the forecast concerning the next iteration of the rMB. Skylake update or 14" or 16GB of Ram.

I guess the 3 months to consider more or less seriously are February, March or April 2016?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Skylake Core M fanless CPUs with TB3/USB-C
The GPU improvements that Skylake brings
A slightly faster NVMe PCIe SSD
Possibly a 16 GB option
Possibly DDR 4 RAM
Reduced price

I ooh'd and aah'd for a while whether I wanted to wait for all of this. I didn't want to buy the Macbook immediately to make sure that are no weird first gen issues. I wanted portability, but I wasn't going to buy another MBA. The screen was poor in 2011 and inexcusable now. My 2009 MBP was nicer to look at.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i really want that 3.5 jack removed and to be replaced with another usb-c
720p camera
with skylake another 1h battery usage
that gpu increased

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
Of course there will be two usb-c ports! There's a now one and an audio port, if they consider getting rid of the audio port, a second use-c is a given.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I'm hoping for a price drop with the next revision

Its very expensive in Canada; just out of my price range for what it is

I really want one :p

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Would like another USB-C port, but doubt that will happen. Not including it in my prediction.

I foresee rMB updated only with new Skylake chips and upgrading of port to TB3/USB-C combo port. Don't think we'll see any other changes. Hopefully they fix the keyboard quality issues though!

I think this will be the new MacBook lineup come end of 2016:
12'' rMB (Skylake)
Redesigned 13'' MBP
14'' rMB (MacBook+ ??)
Redesigned 15" MBP

I think they'll keep selling the MBA, but without Skylake chips. They'll keep it a product without an update similar to the 13" MBP (which is a total joke for the price btw)

Reactions: dukeOfPrunes

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Of course there will be two usb-c ports! There's a now one and an audio port, if they consider getting rid of the audio port, a second use-c is a given.

Not at all.

Apple appears to be working on Lightning as the replacement for the traditional headphone jack, so if indeed it is to go it would be replaced with a Lightning port. Makes sense considering how many iOS devices are out in the wild right now, one would be able to charge via USB-C and sync/headphone via Lightning. And since Apple owns the Lightning protocol, no need to spend double the royalty to the USB-C consortium either.

BJ

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Not at all.

Apple appears to be working on Lightning as the replacement for the traditional headphone jack, so if indeed it is to go it would be replaced with a Lightning port. Makes sense considering how many iOS devices are out in the wild right now, one would be able to charge via USB-C and sync/headphone via Lightning. And since Apple owns the Lightning protocol, no need to spend double the royalty to the USB-C consortium either.
Uhm, yeah.. A port with no peripherials at all, good idea..

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Uhm, yeah.. A port with no peripherials at all, good idea..

One can attach an endless stream of peripherals to the USB-C port on the other side. Oh, and no peripherals? Hmm. I recall a company that sells hundreds of millions of iPhone's and iPad's, something RMB owners are constantly syncing.

A Lightning port for headphones and iOS devices would turn this old-school earphone jack into something very useful and very "Apple". I'd bet anything it would become a Lightning port before it ever became a second USB-C port.

BJ

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
One can attach an endless stream of peripherals to the USB-C port on the other side. Oh, and no peripherals? Hmm. I recall a company that sells hundreds of millions of iPhone's and iPad's, something RMB owners are constantly syncing.
I wouldn't exactly call an iPhone or iPad a peripherial in the normal sense. And it is complete ridiculous to add a port just for that, when the USB-C port is already there and working fine. Oh, and you can sync them wirelessly anyway, meaning that an extra port just for that is plain out stupid.

A Lightning port for headphones and iOS devices would turn this old-school earphone jack into something very useful and very "Apple". I'd bet anything it would become a Lightning port before it ever became a second USB-C port.
You mean adding a port that does the same as the other port that is already there, but without peripherials on the market. Good idea. There hundreds of products for the USB-C port on the market now, thousands upon thousands more on the way, and hundreds of thousands more with a simple adapter, because it is a standard, and not a proprietary connector.

How you can make sense of this is beyond me, but hey, apparently there's a mind for everything these days.
nbc-fires-donald-trump-after-he-calls-mexicans-rapists-and-drug-runners.jpg

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I wouldn't exactly call an iPhone or iPad a peripherial in the normal sense. And it is complete ridiculous to add a port just for that, when the USB-C port is already there and working fine.

Really? I connect my iPhone and my iPad to my notebook more than I do a thumb drive or an SD card. What's ridiculous is your belief that Apple wouldn't replace the old-gen headphone port (2.5mm jack) with the next-gen headphone port (Lightning) especially when the next-gen version is proprietary and also connects Apple's most profitable peripherals (iOS devices). Like it makes sense that Apple wouldn't want the one port that is necessary to allow all iPhone's, iPad's, and future headphones built-in to its most cutting-edge product.

Oh, and you can sync them wirelessly anyway, meaning that an extra port just for that is plain out stupid.

And that's the best reason why a second USB-C port isn't necessary. Thank you for making my point for me, you could have stopped there.

You mean adding a port that does the same as the other port that is already there, but without peripherials on the market. Good idea. There hundreds of products for the USB-C port on the market now, thousands upon thousands more on the way, and hundreds of thousands more with a simple adapter, because it is a standard, and not a proprietary connector.

So to plug a headphone into one's notebook you're forcing them to use a USB-C port for which there are no USB-C headphones. Yeah, that's brilliant.

How you can make sense of this is beyond me, but hey, apparently there's a mind for everything these days.

Get it through your mind that there won't be a second USB-C port on the MacBook because it's not necessary for its target audience.

BJ

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
the future for Apple is wireless, they already said that even during the macbook event
so they will remove the 3.5 jack, maybe not this year but after iphone 7

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
the future for Apple is wireless, they already said that even during the macbook event
so they will remove the 3.5 jack, maybe not this year but after iphone 7

The future of airplane travel is wired, so until individual airlines relax all regulations over Bluetooth in airline cabins, the headphone jack isn't going anywhere.

BJ

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The future of airplane travel is wired, so until individual airlines relax all regulations over Bluetooth in airline cabins, the headphone jack isn't going anywhere.

BJ
i bet you said that this before they remove floppy disk and optical drive

Queen6

macrumors G4

BJ

Some of the 380`s are running Wi-Fi now, and most I fly on are just wheels up & down they want BT off. right now I don't want to think about it, as my travel is going to significantly increase for 2016...

Q-6

Reactions: boltjames
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.