Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sydneykb

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
I don’t think it’s a last minute change. Apple didn’t need to announce AW7 if they weren’t ready. No one forced them to do so. And it’s not the first product they didn’t give a exact release date. Eg: AirPower.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It's possible it was planned for the series 7 and then at some point they decided to scratch it for the series 8 instead. I fully expect to see the flat sides next year.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Why would Apple introduce a new size screen and design for Series 7 to ditch it one generation later? This style is here to stay for the next 2-3 Series of Apple Watch.

This is what I think too. I would not qualify the S7 as a new design, but the bigger screen that goes up to the edges would have to be completely flattened to fit a boxy apple watch case. I doubt we will see this in the near future

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Given that Kuo, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, and leaker Jon Prosser, the most reputable sources for Apple's unreleased product plans, have all reported a flat-edged Apple Watch, it's difficult to dispute its existence within the walls of Apple's labs and offices.
In which report did Kuo say it would have a flat edge? I don't remember reading that, just that he said Watch 7 would get a form factor redesign (which it did), but I could have missed it.

I don't buy the "changed the design at the last minute" excuse.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Of course, we'll never know for certain what happened and whether Apple had last-minute design changes, or whether all of the previous rumors and reports were simply meant for the Series 8, rather than the Series 7.
Its either a future design or a red herring. You can't expect last minute design changes like this on an Apple product and still hope to have millions of units ready for consumers within a few months (at worst).

Reactions: gmarm

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
As "feminine" as I find the Apple Watch shape to be, and as much as I was looking forward to a square-edged, more "masculine" shape, I know that hard edges don't feel good against skin.

It's one of the reasons why I prefer the iPhone 11/Xr design vs my 12 Pro. The newer iPhones look better, I think, but feel worse in hand.

At least now I can take the Watch plunge if next year turns out the flat rumors are true and not miss out on hopefully too many nice features.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
A curved case is much more difficult to produce than a flat one. Must be quite some imaginary production issue that prevented apple from achieving “flat.”
Starting production from scratch? Sure. But the curved case is a mature design has been in use for years at this point with suppliers probably needing minimal adjustments to tooling. Of course the issue might also have had something to do with changing the internals to fit it into the flat case.

Reactions: gmarm and kiranmk2

icerabbit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2006
A square flat slab hard corners & edge design for the watch makes very little sense, it would be universally disliked as it would not slip in and out of shirts as easily when people looked at their watch and/or interacted with it. So, I am super happy this was proven wrong and hope Apple never goes that design route with the watch. But they might. The first rounded over phones and tablets were great and ergnomic, then we needed chamfers, then flat, then we go back to some round ones and some flat ones ... what was old will be new again.

criticasm

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2017
Many just assumed the watch would follow the flat edge design started with the iPad Pro in 2018 & continued with iPhone 12 in 2020. Strange considering Apple hardware has never all conformed to one basic look. The rumour mill also claimed the S7 chip would be new. Fact is the watch chips run on a 2 model cycle since being dual core. S2 & S3 are basically same as is S4 & S5 and now S6 & S7. Funny how these analysts didn't pick up on that.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
For me, the most likely scenario is that the redesign depicted is mostly correct, however it just over time became incorrectly attributed to the Series 7 and that was actually meant for the Series 8 all along. Guess we'll find out in about 12 months.
doubtful they will ditch the small redesign in the 7 a year later. I'd say Watch 9 at the earliest.

jambon

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
London
Given the reports of the lateness of the start production which now seem to be corroborated with the lack of a concrete launch date, it seems quite possible that apple’s plan A chases redesign didn’t work out in production and they went with a plan B design with the slightly altered older chassis design. Not that I’m complaining, I think the rounded looks a tad better anyways.
Yes I agree. I can't believe such a minor design and spec upgrade has caused such a delay. It's like a 'S' iPhone upgrade with which they can't even give a launch date or even the full specs. Must be a last minute change.

Doesn't mean Prosser et al were right but this launch smells like a last minute Plan B.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Its either a future design or a red herring. You can't expect last minute design changes like this on an Apple product and still hope to have millions of units ready for consumers within a few months (at worst).
Well, they don’t seem to have enough for preorders to open and the bulk of new models are usually made via production crunch just months before the launch. Apple doesn’t even have a preorder date this year (“fall”) which is very unusual. So not completely unlikely that Apple had two designs ready and switched to the easier one when it looked like the new design wouldn’t have good enough yield.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
People are mad about the shape, I think the more important fail was regarding new sensors. Imagine a pin-prick-free glucose monitor! That would have been a coup. Too bad, although the later rumors suggested it wouldn’t be this year anyway.

Reactions: George Dawes

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
It was definitely a last-minute change. And the proof of this is an Apple’s phone series 7 introduction video where accidentally they showed the new watch design on a swimmer. You can see it for a few seconds.

D0A50146-6295-4864-BB0E-AE62A9F3C2FD.jpeg

That is definitely not what was released and clearly matched Prosser’s renders.
And it’s in Apple’s own series 7 promo video

They definitely changed plans last minute (really a few months but yeah)

JMO1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
I hope there wasn’t this big of “miscommunication” on the 14” MBP

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I remain confused as to why anyone finds Prosser to be credible. Using his system, I can say that it will rain somewhere sometime during the next year and be considered a leading meteorologist.
I don’t like Prosser, but we have to give him some credit. He leaked accurately many renders in the past, like AirTag and AirPods Max. The man is annoying for sure, but it’s unfair to say that he has 0 credibility regarding leaks

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
The design is frozen at least a year in advance as Apple has to decide on all the components etc. to allow enough supply for their millions of sold devices. We commenters may think that they can add/remove hardware features in a pinch, but reality is much more difficult for engineering.
To say nothing of the the past year and a half putting a crimp in things. Maybe they had to decide what got the limited resources available to them and in the end that was the iPad mini redesign and the iPhone.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.